The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks drafting this Decade - how bad is it?

oldnews

The Canucks current lineup features the following consecutive first round selections:

2014 -Virtanen

2014 - McCann

2013 - Horvat

2013- Shinkaruk Granlund

2012 - Gaunce

2011 - Baertschi

2011 - Jensen Etem (2010)

Seven straight 1st round picks in the NHL - all of their 1sts since 2010.

And perhaps not without significance - all their 1st round picks since their Stanley Cup Run, despite the number of later 1sts in that mix (4).

(I've included Baertchi who was a 1st converted from a 2nd.  Disqualify him if you want - or the trades, although Etem was a late 1st in 2010.  it doesn't really matter).

In addition, over the past three drafts prior to last year they have added in later rounds:

2014:  Demko, Tryamkin and Forsling (who was converted into part of the value to acquire Sutter)

Demko is widely regarded as one of the premier goaltending prospects in the world, and Tryamkin could join this team in short order.

2013:  Cassels, Subban, Cederholm.  Three players that have exceeded their draft position and expectations to date.  NHL potential.

2012:  Ben Hutton - a fixture in the future of the blueline.    Andrej Pedan from 2011 (and Grenier).  Markstrom, Sbisa, Vey from the three preceeding years - the demographic balancing out fairly well.

2015 is too early to judge, but there are lots of reasons to like Brock Boeser and a few of his peers in the last Canucks draft class.

Yes, it's early in their careers, but for all the talk about how poorly this team has drafted, particularly in the Gillis era, it's not quite looking so bleak now, is it? 

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Good observation. Do you know how this compares to other teams, and which team has the longest consecutive first round selections currently in the line-up (out of curiosity)?

Will have to look into that VC.   Will be hard to beat.

FFS another thread on this stuff. FYI, there is a difference between being a first round pick and playing games in the NHL and being a first rounder and making a difference out there. So far things are looking good but the god awful drafting during the Gillis era and lack of defensive prospects leaves a massive hole that Benning has to fill. 

27 minutes ago, oldnews said:

2013:  Cassels, Subban, Cederholm.  Three players that have exceeded their draft position and expectations to date.  NHL potential.

What exactly do you mean by 'exceeding their draft position' and what are you basing their expectations on?

Just now, homersexual said:

What exactly do you mean by 'exceeding their draft position' and what are you basing their expectations on?

Going out on a limb and saying that a 3rd round pick touted as a shutdown center, who goes on to score 150 pts in his draft +1,2 seasons, and 48 more in the playoffs en route to leading his team to a Memorial Cup - exceeding expectations.  Health setbacks as a rookie, early in his AHL career, but nevertheless, a solid pick.

Subban - 25 goals in Belleville and then 29 pts in 47 games as a 20/21 yr old AHL defenseman - I'm not sure what your expectations of a 4th rd pick are.

8 minutes ago, LolClarkson said:

Tanev ? Lack ? 

None of those 2 were drafted lol. Also, even if they were drafted  2players in like 6-8years is unacceptable. 

We should have traded our 1sts and 2nds more often in our prime years.  Although hindsight is always 20/20. We could have had Kopitar, Karlsson, Weber, Subban, Price, Eberle, ect....  I am hopeful the past few drafts and the next few will give us the future studs needed for a cup!

5 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

None of those 2 were drafted lol. Also, even if they were drafted  2players in like 6-8years is unacceptable. 

We should have traded our 1sts and 2nds more often in our prime years.  Although hindsight is always 20/20. We could have had Kopitar, Karlsson, Weber, Subban, Price, Eberle, ect....  I am hopeful the past few drafts and the next few will give us the future studs needed for a cup!

I know they weren't drafted. But they were scouted. And scouting is all that matters. Not picks. 

Tanev would be a late 1st if the draft was done again and we got him for F all. But everyone wants to tear down our team just to get picks that we don't need. 

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I think he can handle himself.

tumblr_mevth3AQoT1qm9rypo1_1280.jpg

Maybe...just maybe...getting punched repeatedly in the head for years isn't conducive to a person becoming a good scout?

:lol:

I agree with the thread though. But the improvements seem to be from the way the department is managed, because the actual staff haven't changed a whole lot.

Archived