The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Playoffs Out of the Question?

swizzey

Up until February I have been all about making the playoffs. After the four game losing streak in February, I jumped on the tank wagon losing all hope in this team making the playoffs. There is no way we are going to catch SJS in a division playoff spot. However, the final wild card spot is wide open and the standings look like this:

GP        P

Minnesota        67        72

---

Colorado          67        70

Vancouver       64        62

Arizona            65        62

Don't get me wrong, this is a huge hill to climb and most likely we will not make the playoffs. If we take a little snapshot back to last year, Ottawa was farther off making the playoffs at this point and ended up going 23-6 down the stretch to seal the top wild card spot. The only reason I have a little bit of light concerning this stretch is how well the kids have been playing. Horvat, Virtanen, Hutton, Baertschi, and even Vey have been absolutely on fire. If we got a few wins, but weren't playing well, I would not be pondering this, but there has been some promise in our play as of late. Colorado and Minnesota has a slightly tougher end to their schedule, though ours is still tough. 

In conclusion... the fat lady hasn't sung. With three games in hand paired with going on a little tear, we can be in the dance.

dnd.jpg.c822d2e51ec6b7ac79c39183afc2a38d

5 minutes ago, swizzey said:

The trolls are hungry today!

An honest assessment is not trolling.

The Canucks longest winning streak of the year is TWO games. For this thought to even get consideration they would need at least a five game winning streak in there. And a five game win streak probably still isn't enough.

It ain't happening.

14 minutes ago, swizzey said:

Ok let me settle this if I can.  I'm known to be optimistic, almost to a fault.  

The playoffs are out of the question with our given situation.  Obviously they are not mathematically eliminated yet, but look at our situation.

8 plus kids on roster.

injury bug is horrible 

would have to run the table for games

Bad combination, so no these guys aren't trolling you, just being smart arses while stating the truth ;) 

We need a top 4-7 pick way more than a lame 1st round exit. (I say 4th - 7th because that lands us a impact player, for sure a D, and I doubt we will come in any better than 4th pick).

Best case scenario - we're in every game up until the final buzzer, the young players continue to contribute and develop, showcase new talent like Pedan, Tryamkin and Grenier, but keep losing with grit and pride.

I don't think we are going to make it but the team should try to and play with all there heart. We would have to go something like14-4 or 16-2.

That being said if we do that it will mostly be because of the young players on the team. I for one would prefer this outcome than a top 5 pick that others have alluded to but it most likely won't happen.

53 minutes ago, swizzey said:

You waited DAYS to post this lol 

as for the Play offs... I don't think the team will make it. Ownership don't want the extra play off dollars...or they would have let Benning do his job lol,

I always want this team to win.

It would be pretty exciting to see these guys go on a role and make things interesting (tankers for draft positioning be damned!!)

1 hour ago, swizzey said:

Up until February I have been all about making the playoffs. After the four game losing streak in February, I jumped on the tank wagon losing all hope in this team making the playoffs. There is no way we are going to catch SJS in a division playoff spot. However, the final wild card spot is wide open and the standings look like this:

GP        P

Minnesota        67        72

---

Colorado          67        70

Vancouver       64        62

Arizona            65        62

Don't get me wrong, this is a huge hill to climb and most likely we will not make the playoffs. If we take a little snapshot back to last year, Ottawa was farther off making the playoffs at this point and ended up going 23-6 down the stretch to seal the top wild card spot. The only reason I have a little bit of light concerning this stretch is how well the kids have been playing. Horvat, Virtanen, Hutton, Baertschi, and even Vey have been absolutely on fire. If we got a few wins, but weren't playing well, I would not be pondering this, but there has been some promise in our play as of late. Colorado and Minnesota has a slightly tougher end to their schedule, though ours is still tough. 

In conclusion... the fat lady hasn't sung. With three games in hand paired with going on a little tear, we can be in the dance.

dnd.jpg.c822d2e51ec6b7ac79c39183afc2a38d

I would be prepared to make you a wager against it happening Sir!

Archived