The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On pace to be lowest-scoring team in franchise history

DonaldBrashear

But we only had 5 scored against us (excluding EN goals) so that's a GAA of 1.67. And i was told that defense wins games...and championships too! I sure hope we win the cup this year...who needs offense huh? Am I right?

2 hours ago, ABNuck said:

But we only had 5 scored against us (excluding EN goals) so that's a GAA of 1.67. And i was told that defense wins games...and championships too! I sure hope we win the cup this year...who needs offense huh? Am I right?

I am certain you are being sarcastic...at least I hope so.

It wasn't our D that kept the GA respectable...Miller and Marsktrom have had to face a firing squad every game and make numerous sensational saves while our forwards and D have missed assignments and turned the puck over in all areas of the ice.  This team's Defensive couldn't win a pond hockey championship. 

4 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I am certain you are being sarcastic...at least I hope so.

It wasn't our D that kept the GA respectable...Miller and Marsktrom have had to face a firing squad every game and make numerous sensational saves while our forwards and D have missed assignments and turned the puck over in all areas of the ice.  This team's Defensive couldn't win a pond hockey championship. 

Ohhh...def heavy on the sarc bud. You'd have to read the whole thread to understand why I'm being so sarcastic.

On 3/22/2016 at 7:11 PM, clam linguine said:

A weak team should build offense first.

A  strong offense can take the heat off a weak defense until it develops or gets upgraded.

A weak offense will cause a strong defense to become a battered, worn down, demoralized defense.  

On the other hand, a weak team should build defense first...

How have the Oilers done with their offense first drafting? Are Chicago where they are because they drafted Toews and Kane? Or is it because the Hawks drafted Toews and Kane after they had drafted Keith and Seabrook a few years earlier?

If you do believe in a offense first strategy for drafting, then you should be happy with how the Canucks have done these last few years. From their top-3 picks since 2010 (an arbitrary cutoff point by since the Canucks didn't draft until the 4th round in that year) the Canucks have selected only 2 goalies and 2 d-men, with all the rest being forwards. (EDIT: I forgot Honzik)

What has been the ongoing refrain from these drafts? Answer: "Why aren't we drafting more d-men?" 

Meh. The Canucks look to be getting a fairly high pick this time around. Easily the top 4-5 prospects in this draft are forwards, so you should be happy. :)

regards,  G.

On March 19, 2016 at 10:20 PM, DeNiro said:

That season of suckage brought us the Sedins.

Lets hope this season brings us our new future franchise player(s).

It will. Even if we went on a magical 5 game win streak to end the year, we're getting a top 10 pick guaranteed, and more likely 4-6. Any of those guys in the 1-6 pick range has a good chance of making the lineup next year. Maybe I've drunk the kook-aid but I think there will be a lot of good things to watch next season, and if Markstrom gets better... maybe that elusive 1st round experience for the kids. 

On 3/24/2016 at 10:02 PM, ABNuck said:

Ohhh...def heavy on the sarc bud. You'd have to read the whole thread to understand why I'm being so sarcastic.

On 3/24/2016 at 11:24 PM, DIBdaQUIB said:

I figured but it can be hard to tell on the internet and especially on CDC.

Well to be fair, ABs is using a small sample size of failure to represent  an entire rebuild. 

The Canucks have drafted a mere 2 d-men and 2 goalies in the last 5 years. If a "picking offense first" policy for drafting is a desirable end then the Canucks should be seeing the positive results of those choices from the 9 forwards taken.. Are they? The team has four number one picks from the last few years currently on the roster. It seems to me that you should be concerned that these guys aren't producing more.

(Just a note: I'm not knocking the Canucks' prospects. I think they will be good and I'm expecting big things from them next season)

regards,  G.

I updated the front page. Very sad. We only have 168 goals scored in 76 games (excludes 4 goals given to us for "shootout wins" which are not actual goals scored).

That's a pace of 2.21 goals per game.

We are basically guaranteed to crush the existing franchise record and also finish dead last in league scoring

21 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

We are also on pace to be one of the lowest scoring teams in modern history. We are on par with Buffalo Sabres of last year. We may surpass them. We *could* be the lowest scoring team since the 2004 lockout.

Mind-boggling.

1 hour ago, Gollumpus said:

Well to be fair, ABs is using a small sample size of failure to represent  an entire rebuild. 

The Canucks have drafted a mere 2 d-men and 2 goalies in the last 5 years. If a "picking offense first" policy for drafting is a desirable end then the Canucks should be seeing the positive results of those choices from the 9 forwards taken.. Are they? The team has four number one picks from the last few years currently on the roster. It seems to me that you should be concerned that these guys aren't producing more.

(Just a note: I'm not knocking the Canucks' prospects. I think they will be good and I'm expecting big things from them next season)

regards,  G.

Hey G, I missed you! I don't think drafting more Dmen or goalies would help us much in our current situation. In order to overcome our current situation we would need the best 6 Dmen + Holtby. I agree that you need a top notch D corps if your Oside can't score. But for sure, make no mistake about it, we are losing cause we can't score. And it is hardly a small sample size. In the history of every major team sport, teams that can't score don't win diddly squat. To be fair, our D over this 9 game losing streak has been brutal (3.22GAA) but our O group has only produced 8 goals in those 9 games (shut completely out in 4 of them). No matter how you slice it, our offense is more brutal than our D.

And PS/ props to you mate for keeping it classy on here. I wish others on here were classy as you are (myself included), you are truly a model debate participant. I will +1 you for sure as soon as I see one of your stances that I personally could agree with, but sorry G, not on this one.

13 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

And PS/ props to you mate for keeping it classy on here. I wish others on here were classy as you are (myself included), you are truly a model debate participant. I will +1 you for sure as soon as I see one of your stances that I personally could agree with, but sorry G, not on this one.

I hope you have a career in the diplomatic core^^^.  ;-)

I agree that offense is a critical issue for this group.  The Sedins are declining and while we have some decent prospects pitching in once in awhile, we are in sad need of some high-end talent to push the offensive envelope.  Our forward group just isn't close to being able to put up the offensive numbers needed to succeed in this league.

ON top of the forward group, our D contribute basically nothing to the offense so we are screwed in every way.  Our forwards aren't overly strong defensively or offensively and neither are our D-men.  Goalies are okay though.

47 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

We are also on pace to be one of the lowest scoring teams in modern history. We are on par with Buffalo Sabres of last year. We may surpass them. We *could* be the lowest scoring team since the 2004 lockout.

So what you are saying is...we are a multi-record breaking team?!!

My chest is exploding with pride.

3 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

On the other hand, a weak team should build defense first...

How have the Oilers done with their offense first drafting? Are Chicago where they are because they drafted Toews and Kane? Or is it because the Hawks drafted Toews and Kane after they had drafted Keith and Seabrook a few years earlier?

If you do believe in a offense first strategy for drafting, then you should be happy with how the Canucks have done these last few years. From their top-3 picks since 2010 (an arbitrary cutoff point by since the Canucks didn't draft until the 4th round in that year) the Canucks have selected only 2 goalies and 2 d-men, with all the rest being forwards. (EDIT: I forgot Honzik)

What has been the ongoing refrain from these drafts? Answer: "Why aren't we drafting more d-men?" 

Meh. The Canucks look to be getting a fairly high pick this time around. Easily the top 4-5 prospects in this draft are forwards, so you should be happy. :)

regards,  G.

Oh here we go again....look at the Oilers!   I might be happy if  they start kicking our ass next year, lol.   Anyhooo... maybe the Oilers drafted all the offensive players they needed and failed to build their defense.  It is defense comes second...not defense comes never:)

Yes, I am Ok with what the Canucks have tried to do at the draft, considering we haven't had very high picks. I feel like Hutton could be a Top 2 guy, so he would be a good example on the Canucks for leaving D men for later (Tanev too).  

As you suspected, I really hope JB doesn't draft a dman inside the top five this year.

i don't have an answer for your Chicago query^_^

Benning era 

longest goalless streak

lowest scoring team 

possibly the longest losing streak

9 losses so far so at best he'll be in second. Next to keenan

keenan nonis Benning bottom three all time nuck gms in any order. 

Archived