The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrik Laine vs Jesse Puljujarvi

Grape

Laine vs Puljujarvi  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, chickenman92 said:

I prefer Puljujarvi, I think he's better at  making the players around him better. I also see a lot of Jagr in his game. 

I would even go as far to say Lemieux...I find Laine one dimensional and don't see his game translating o the NHL as well as Puj.

Stamkos is ineffective if he isn't scoring on the PP...This will be Laine and not even at the same level...Those Euro goalies and big ice make him look better than he is.

This vid of the 2016 world juniors covers Puljujarvi specifically but touches on all three Fins and reminds me of how good the big 3 are. I think I'm leaning to Puljujarvi...no wait...Laine....uuummm but Puljujarvi is a great all-around player that will make everyone better...buuuuuuuuut Laine, oh man, Laine is a cold blooded scorer who can also make others around him better, plus there's just something about him.  I don't who I'd take, they're both beauties.    

I like Puljujarvi for the Canucks. Complete player with a winner's approach to the game. Always smiling too - just like Hutton. I feel like they could get along.

Not to mention... Jesse is the name of that kid from the movie Free Willy.

The Canucks have an orca as their logo.
That movie is about an orca. Named Willy.
And a kid named Jesse.

Perfect fit. 

FreeWilly.png

14 hours ago, NEON.KNEE said:

I would even go as far to say Lemieux...I find Laine one dimensional and don't see his game translating o the NHL as well as Puj.

Stamkos is ineffective if he isn't scoring on the PP...This will be Laine and not even at the same level...Those Euro goalies and big ice make him look better than he is.

Are you kidding me

14 hours ago, NEON.KNEE said:

You can't be serious.  

Stamkos is ineffective if he isn't scoring on the PP? 

You have to look 1 game to prove you wrong. He looked great yesterday.  He had 2 primary even strength assists in a 3-0 game. 

There's some great prospects available outside of the top 3. Should the Canucks not find themselves drafting 1-3, then picking one of Sergachev, Juolevi, or Chychrun would be the route to go, and people should be thrilled with the Canucks being able to draft a top defensive prospect in the first round for the first time in over a decade.

Different teams and different needs, but I'm hoping the Jets don't win any of the top 3 lottery picks, just so they keep snapping up top defensive prospects.

Is it just me or did Laine look at least a couple inches taller than Puljujarvi at the WJC? It's probably just skating style differences - Laine more upright and Puljujarvi more hunched over. Probably nothing else to it, but I want to see what they measure at the combine.

7 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

You can't be serious.  

Stamkos is ineffective if he isn't scoring on the PP? 

You have to look 1 game to prove you wrong. He looked great yesterday.  He had 2 primary even strength assists in a 3-0 game. 

Against the 2nd last place team in the league...

You can't be serious...Also the team that he will most likely sign with in the off-season, his hometown team.  Sample is too small.

1 hour ago, baumerman77 said:

Is it just me or did Laine look at least a couple inches taller than Puljujarvi at the WJC? It's probably just skating style differences - Laine more upright and Puljujarvi more hunched over. Probably nothing else to it, but I want to see what they measure at the combine.

I think he is about 1.25 inches taller.

1 hour ago, NEON.KNEE said:

Against the 2nd last place team in the league...

You can't be serious...Also the team that he will most likely sign with in the off-season, his hometown team.  Sample is too small.

So roughly 2 of every 3 point stamkos gets are useless. So what if the leafs are last. Thats 2 points he helped get. 2 points that our team couldn't get from the leafs. What's with your random hate for stamkos. He does alot more than you think at a relatively young age too.   

2 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

So roughly 2 of every 3 point stamkos gets are useless. So what if the leafs are last. Thats 2 points he helped get. 2 points that our team couldn't get from the leafs. What's with your random hate for stamkos. He does alot more than you think at a relatively young age too.   

I think he is over hyped and the Canucks have shown how easy it is to shut him down.

I believe Laine will be the same type of player...I believe Puj is a much more well rounded prospect who isn't even done growing at his already impressive size.  He plays a dynamic game and makes big plays all over the ice.  Laine is 1 dimensional but has a really good shot that he can exploit on large ice and sub-par goalies that wouldn't even make it in the AHL.

2 hours ago, NEON.KNEE said:

I think he is over hyped and the Canucks have shown how easy it is to shut him down.

I believe Laine will be the same type of player...I believe Puj is a much more well rounded prospect who isn't even done growing at his already impressive size.  He plays a dynamic game and makes big plays all over the ice.  Laine is 1 dimensional but has a really good shot that he can exploit on large ice and sub-par goalies that wouldn't even make it in the AHL.

You'd make a great scout. I'd hire you. 

2 hours ago, NEON.KNEE said:

Whether one of them goes second or third overall will depend on the teams' need. Both are wingers with wicked shots who don't mind going to the dirty areas. Main difference IMO is that where Pujujarvi may be more well rounded, Laine may be more dynamic. 

Benning has been trying to gather a collection of well rounded 200 foot players, so Laine may be a better fit here. Our team has a desperate need for a dynamic player. Laine actually outscored Pujujarvi in league play this season in fewer games played.

2 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Whether one of them goes second or third overall will depend on the teams' need. Both are wingers with wicked shots who don't mind going to the dirty areas. Main difference IMO is that where Pujujarvi may be more well rounded, Laine may be more dynamic. 

Benning has been trying to gather a collection of well rounded 200 foot players, so Laine may be a better fit here. He actually outscored Pujujarvi in league play this season in fewer games played.

If you watch video on both players Laine is alot less Dynamic than Puj...he is a big strong shooter with 1 or 2 moves that have been showcased on the rare breakaway or in a shoot out.

Puj is DYNAMIC in that he is all over the ice, rarely does the same thing twice and is way more effective at using his teamates.  He has a great chracter and you can tell he is a passionate gamer. ( as in he plays hockey to win, not that he is level 320 in Destiny or anything like that)

1 minute ago, NEON.KNEE said:

If you watch video on both players Laine is alot less Dynamic than Puj...he is a big strong shooter with 1 or 2 moves that have been showcased on the rare breakaway or in a shoot out.

Puj is DYNAMIC in that he is all over the ice, rarely does the same thing twice and is way more effective at using his teamates.  He has a great chracter and you can tell he is a passionate gamer. ( as in he plays hockey to win, not that he is level 320 in Destiny or anything like that)

I haven't seen much of either guy other than the World Juniors and youtube so it's hard to tell. Whenever there was a highlight of one of them at the worlds, the other was usually on the other end of the play.

Either would be a boon for this team I think.

I'm torn, I think Laine is slightly better, but that's also subjective, I think its really too close to call.

On the other hand, I'd love to see our commentators have to get used to pronouncing Puljujarvi and see how many times the screw it up! :)

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'm torn, I think Laine is slightly better, but that's also subjective, I think its really too close to call.

On the other hand, I'd love to see our commentators have to get used to pronouncing Puljujarvi and see how many times the screw it up! :)

i want to hear don cherry say his name. hell, even jesse is pronounced yessee.

Archived