The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrik Laine vs Jesse Puljujarvi

Grape

Laine vs Puljujarvi  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Puljujarvi all the way.  

If we somehow win the lottery, and JB can work some magic to trade for the 2nd + pieces, use those pieces to + more to trade for a top 10 pick, we're in dream land.  

2nd - Draft Puljujarvi

Top 10 Pick - Sergachyov or Juolevi

One can dream.

11 minutes ago, C.Schneider said:

Puljujarvi all the way.  

If we somehow win the lottery, and JB can work some magic to trade for the 2nd + pieces, use those pieces to + more to trade for a top 10 pick, we're in dream land.  

2nd - Draft Puljujarvi

Top 10 Pick - Sergachyov or Juolevi

One can dream.

Unless that "magic" is trading some amazing piece the Oilers find use in, which the Canucks don't have, that won't be happening. Organizations, especially those picking top 10, just aren't in the habit of trading away those picks anymore (if it ever was a trend to begin with).

With stats showing that forwards are now hitting their prime years earlier than ever (ie. 21-26 years of age), teams want to hold onto these cheap assets for as long as possible. And especially with top 10 drafting teams historically being places free agents don't want to sign with, as those teams are far off from competing, I think the likelihood of the Canucks being able to pull something like that as incredibly unlikely.

If there is one team that has the pieces currently to snag another top 10 pick, it would be the Winnipeg Jets, as they could conceivably dangle Jacob Trouba to someone in need of a defenseman; a team that needs one of Juolevi, Chychrun, Sergachev, but a team that doesn't want to wait the 3 years for them to maybe hit their stride.

18 hours ago, NEON.KNEE said:

I think he is over hyped and the Canucks have shown how easy it is to shut him down.

I believe Laine will be the same type of player...I believe Puj is a much more well rounded prospect who isn't even done growing at his already impressive size.  He plays a dynamic game and makes big plays all over the ice.  Laine is 1 dimensional but has a really good shot that he can exploit on large ice and sub-par goalies that wouldn't even make it in the AHL.

so Laine, who is bigger and the same age, is somehow done growing while JP isn't?

2 hours ago, Monty said:

Unless that "magic" is trading some amazing piece the Oilers find use in, which the Canucks don't have, that won't be happening. Organizations, especially those picking top 10, just aren't in the habit of trading away those picks anymore (if it ever was a trend to begin with).

With stats showing that forwards are now hitting their prime years earlier than ever (ie. 21-26 years of age), teams want to hold onto these cheap assets for as long as possible. And especially with top 10 drafting teams historically being places free agents don't want to sign with, as those teams are far off from competing, I think the likelihood of the Canucks being able to pull something like that as incredibly unlikely.

If there is one team that has the pieces currently to snag another top 10 pick, it would be the Winnipeg Jets, as they could conceivably dangle Jacob Trouba to someone in need of a defenseman; a team that needs one of Juolevi, Chychrun, Sergachev, but a team that doesn't want to wait the 3 years for them to maybe hit their stride.

Tanev

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

Tanev

Should have been a little more clear. Meant a team that can afford to give up any of their valuable pieces. While I've never been a huge fan of Tanev, he's certainly one of the only reliable things on the Canucks these days.

Also, it's no secret to anyone in Winnipeg that Trouba will likely not be with the team next season, so unless he's being used as bait for Hamonic (also incredibly likely), they are one team that can afford to part with a defenseman and not even feel it.

3 minutes ago, Monty said:

Should have been a little more clear. Meant a team that can afford to give up any of their valuable pieces. While I've never been a huge fan of Tanev, he's certainly one of the only reliable things on the Canucks these days.

Also, it's no secret to anyone in Winnipeg that Trouba will likely not be with the team next season, so unless he's being used as bait for Hamonic (also incredibly likely), they are one team that can afford to part with a defenseman and not even feel it.

I don't think that will happen, but he is a candidate.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

so Laine, who is bigger and the same age, is somehow done growing while JP isn't?

That's all you took from my assessment? I never said Laine hasn't stopped growing.

Watch Laine's Highlight package from this year's WJC included in this thread ( i realize it isn't his whole body of work) and you can see there is maybe one highlight in that package that isn't a direct result of Puj's hard work...

I could be totally off-base here, but I almost view these guys as being like MacKinnon vs Drouin in their draft year.

Obviously very different players than those two, but Laine is the smoother, more obvious talent like a Drouin, while Puljujarvi relies on sheer passion and quick-thinking on the ice to dominate like MacKinnon. I like Puljujarvi for the same reason I like Nathan, slightly less refined skills (though still downright deadly) but a next-level appreciation for and dedication to the game on all fronts. He also seems to be more of a 'leader' and makes room for his teammates on the ice. We draft PJ and Bo may have some company as a candidate to be our future captain (though I still say Bo gets it). Not sure I can say that about Matthews or Laine.

Very tough to pass on Laine, though. Like I say, the kid plays beautiful hockey and knows how to score goals! He may put up more points per season than Puljujarvi, but I think JP has the higher chance of being a true core player for us. It's a win either way though. I don't think there's any possible way to screw this up.

Matthews on the other hand is so calm and poised with the puck, you'd be an absolute fool not to take him at 1st. I think the two Finns have even crazier ceilings than Matthews, but AM is a sure bet and looks eerily like a young Jamie Benn... who I think any team in the league would take a flyer on. He will step into the league and make an immediate impact, and it could be substantial. Remember that even Jamie Benn didn't become the player he is today until spending a couple years in the league, after being a late round draft pick... Matthews is already on the fast-track.

On 3/29/2016 at 10:16 PM, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

I like Puljujarvi for the Canucks. Complete player with a winner's approach to the game. Always smiling too - just like Hutton. I feel like they could get along.

Not to mention... Jesse is the name of that kid from the movie Free Willy.

The Canucks have an orca as their logo.
That movie is about an orca. Named Willy.
And a kid named Jesse.

Perfect fit. 

FreeWilly.png

Spelt "Jesse", but Pronounced "Yessie" I believe. 

I would take Pool jarvey. More safer all round pick. Laine though Benning may prefer as he seems to play more physical like that of a power forward and is more aggressive in general around the net.

Puljujarvi is a better skater and more better defensively. Only thing he does not have that Laine has is his physical streak and shot.

Benning really seems to love guys who can shoot the puck though and Laine does have the leg up on Puljujarvi there.

On 3/28/2016 at 0:28 PM, The Weasel said:

I'd rather have Matthews, Boeser, Demko. The Holy Trinity of Team USA.

(apologies. I've gone a bit off-topic).I still really like laine and pool party.

what if Boeser ends up a bust? :bigblush:

2 hours ago, WeatherWise said:

Everything you need to know about these two players is here.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=115969389&postcount=2

Patrik Laine is the better goal scorer of the two. He has a greater offensive skill set and is more of the game-breaking scorer that this team needs. He can whistle a shot past the opposing goaltender from the top of the circle, and has the hands and size to be impossible to take off of the puck.

He dominated his playoff game yesterday.

Although I like Jesse Puljujärvi as well, I would pick Laine first. In fact, Laine would be my first overall choice in this year's draft.

He was also born on the day of Pavel Bure's final game as a Vancouver Canuck -- April 19, 1998.

I've learned everything there is to know about these two from neon knee. Puljujarvi is like lemeuix. Laine is useless like stamkos. 

Hard not to like both players a lot.  Honestly its a pretty even argument, and youd have to look at your team to decide which fits better.

Puljujarvi is the better skater, better 2 way, and better playmaker.  He probably drives the play better and helps his team moreso even if his name doesnt find the score sheet.  Laine is a pure game breaking finishing sniper with amazing hands.  Hell have that vibe about him every time he touches the puck, especially on the PP.

Given that we have some kids with real good releases and less creativity and vision (Boeser, McCann, Virtanen), I think Puljujarvi is the better addition, especially with an organization thats really driving home that they want to get faster, which his top end acceleration is like Virtanen.

HOWEVER:

This market is craving a goal scorer.  They really have been since the departure of Naslund and Bure before him.  If Laine comes in and pots 30 as a rookie, this town will be drooling all over the kid.  Laine also plays quite a bit on the left side, not just on the PP, but 5 on 5.  Given the Canucks have some solid top 6 RWs coming along in the system, the ability to play the LW may fit the mold of the rebuild better. 

So at the end of the day I personally like Puljujarvi better as a complete player, but think that Laine is a better pick for the Canucks organization.

Unfortunately I dont believe the Nucks will be adding either of these players.  I expect we walk with one of Chychrun, Juolevi, or Dubois...  Which Im just fine with...  though Ill be crushed again that Edmonton will likely get one of the big 3.  Such B**l S**t

Im internally hoping we do get the #1 and Arizona gets #2....   Matthews  for  Laine + NYR 1st + ARI 2nd...  Giving us 4 picks in the top 36.

Archived