The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrik Laine vs Jesse Puljujarvi

Grape

Laine vs Puljujarvi  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

42 minutes ago, WeatherWise said:

No. Those were their height measurements before the start of the 2015-16 Liiga season. At the World Junior Championships, they were nearly the exact same height. As both have grown, they are closer to 6'5'' now. We'll have to wait until the Draft Combine measurements, but expect Puljujärvi to be 6'4'' at the very least.

Even at the World Junior Championships, Jesse Puljujärvi measured at 6'3. That will obviously change later on, if he progresses.

16 minutes ago, WeatherWise said:

Numerous close sources, including several well-informed Finnish observers and the fine folks at McKeen's Hockey.

Your assumption that his height remained unchanged all season is wrong.

It is not my assumption, I am just going by what most websites are saying, which necessarily is not correct.

Puljujarvi's smart, big, fast, skilled, has an incredible motor, and has a great attitude. He has a package that is very unique and I don't know if there's anything quite like it in the NHL right now. He has the potential to absolutely take over games.

18 hours ago, Drakrami said:

oh god. pls lose the rest of our games. #weneedlaine

Not gonna happen unfortunately. It's just the Canuck way. I'm going all desi here and say that all our rookies should be playing over Higgy and others.

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 7:59 AM, Gooseberries said:

I've learned everything there is to know about these two from neon knee. Puljujarvi is like lemeuix. Laine is useless like stamkos. 

:lol:

Watching these 2 guys go head to head in the playoffs. Laine #29 for Tappara and Puljujarvi #9 for Karpat. Both of these guys draw a lot of attention and when the puck hits their stick, but I have to say Laine is the standout. He can handle the puck like a much smaller man and his skating is effortless. The pace of the game is unreal, I just wish I could understand any of what's being said. Manchild applies to both of these guys and after watching them in square off in the playoffs, I would have a hard time passing on Laine at #1, he's that good. Matthews is the obvious choice, because that center prospect is coveted over the winger, but that's a tight race if you need an elite scoring winger.

And the Hurricanes picked a beauty with Sebastion Aho

Read an interesting thought from a poster over at Sportsnet...Pay attention Gooseberries, you need all of the help you can get  and so does Laine.

What if the BLue Jackets get in the 2-3 range of the lottery...do they trade one of their young D assets to acquire both Finns?  They have a Finnish GM and the the 2 Finns have proven how well they can play together...and lets be honest, Laine will need to be spoonfed one timers on the PP to get into Calder contention...Puj is up to the task.

On 03/04/2016 at 7:54 AM, 70seven said:

Hard not to like both players a lot.  Honestly its a pretty even argument, and youd have to look at your team to decide which fits better.

Puljujarvi is the better skater, better 2 way, and better playmaker.  He probably drives the play better and helps his team moreso even if his name doesnt find the score sheet.  Laine is a pure game breaking finishing sniper with amazing hands.  Hell have that vibe about him every time he touches the puck, especially on the PP.

Given that we have some kids with real good releases and less creativity and vision (Boeser, McCann, Virtanen), I think Puljujarvi is the better addition, especially with an organization thats really driving home that they want to get faster, which his top end acceleration is like Virtanen.

HOWEVER:

This market is craving a goal scorer.  They really have been since the departure of Naslund and Bure before him.  If Laine comes in and pots 30 as a rookie, this town will be drooling all over the kid.  Laine also plays quite a bit on the left side, not just on the PP, but 5 on 5.  Given the Canucks have some solid top 6 RWs coming along in the system, the ability to play the LW may fit the mold of the rebuild better. 

So at the end of the day I personally like Puljujarvi better as a complete player, but think that Laine is a better pick for the Canucks organization.

Unfortunately I dont believe the Nucks will be adding either of these players.  I expect we walk with one of Chychrun, Juolevi, or Dubois...  Which Im just fine with...  though Ill be crushed again that Edmonton will likely get one of the big 3.  Such B**l S**t

Im internally hoping we do get the #1 and Arizona gets #2....   Matthews  for  Laine + NYR 1st + ARI 2nd...  Giving us 4 picks in the top 36.

Now that's a deal that Arizona might actually do.  Laine would be my first overall.

Question for anyone who follows Liiga. Statistically speaking Barkov is/was a better draft eligible prospect than Laine and Puljujarvi. However, does anyone who has followed Liiga closely think that Laine or Puljujarvi are better draft eligible prospects though a non statistics eyeball perspective? If so why?

3 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

This kid has cemented himself in the top 2, he might even challenge for 1st overall. 

I think there's a very real chance both Finns go before Mathews......I said that after the world jrs

5 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

This kid has cemented himself in the top 2, he might even challenge for 1st overall. 

LOL at all of these PP highlights of the kid on Olympic size ice against Beer league quality goalies... He will never have that time and space or inferior opposition at the NHL level.

Matthews is a centre...That carries serious weight with most NHL GM's and PUJ is the better prospect all around.

Archived