The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Extensions] Kadri & Rielly sign 6 year deals with TML

1 hour ago, poet said:

Man, I hate the leafs, but are they not trending in the right direction or what? These contracts are unbelievable...

Meh.  Adding a bunch of mid round draft picks is not 'trending in the right direction' imo - which is what most people consider such a sign of progress in Toronto.

Unlike a lot of people I'm not impressed with what they've done in an asset management sense.   They need to vastly improve their drafting and particularly their development if they're going to make much of the whack of later round picks they've added, because in the end, it generally takes 3 or 4 of those picks to come up with a decent prosective NHLer.

However, where I do like their progress is in their coaching - and that alone has made them A LOT better, regardless of remaining a bottomfeeder. Babcock has started to build the makings of a puck possession system and that can only help their chances moving forward.   I'm not a huge fan of their prospect pool (they'll need to add some size to their future top 6 smurfy forward group - their blueline has a lot of maybes) - I think it will take them more time and they may or may not improve it significantly, but if anyone can put lipstick on a mediocre roster, it's Babcock.

As for these deals, the Reilly deal seems to mirror what Deadmonton did with Klefbom - hard to argue with - a risk on both sides but a good one for the Leafs to take imo, particularly from a timeline standpoint.  Reilly may be the best piece that franchise has - if you aren't confident locking him up, then who would they be?

Kadri - fair enough to question whether he's earned that kind of term, particularly with the extra-curricular problems he's had, but he's young, probably growing up at this point, and again, if anyone can get the best out of him it's probably Babcock, so they'll likely do alright there assuming his contract doesn't effect his approach moving forward.  4.5 for a 2nd line center (which is what he should be at best) is fairly market value.

1 hour ago, Neversummer said:

Kind of surprised that they gave a whiney diving player like Kadri that long of a contract, have him as one of your 'cornerstone' pieces for THE rebuild?    

You know, I've actually grown to like Kadri. I think he's transforming his game to be more of a Brad Marchand type player. While teams and fans hate those type of players, he will be incredibly effective to have, if used properly. That start's with not making him the "face" of your team (ie. Matthews/Stamkos). Take the pressure off him of having to be "the" guy, and let him be the type of player he's going to be most success at being, which is a complimentary player.

1 hour ago, poet said:

Man, I hate the leafs, but are they not trending in the right direction or what? These contracts are unbelievable...

I have to agree with this. Not a fan of the Leafs, nor do I think they are close to being a playoff team (ie. within 3 years). However, they have fully embraced this rebuild and are doing it correctly. Contracts like these are perfect for the rebuild. Now, whether the 5+ year rebuild turns into a success, only time will tell.

And I also hold no love for the Leafs.

6 hours ago, Toews said:

Lindholm and Trouba should sign for the exact same contract. Unless they would rather get a bridge instead.

Lindholm is so much better than Rielly right now. Lindholm has size great puck movement and amazing offensive and defensive IQ. Rielly lacks in his own end right now but there is definetly room to improve. If I were Anaheim 6m for 6 years would be a great deal.

Those are some great contracts.  Much better than what Nonis was giving out.

Really like the Kadri contract if the Leafs manage to find a true 1C.  He will put up lots of points if the other centre can take some pressure off of him.

Maybe Nylander/Marner if they don't bust or not play to their potential

Spoiler

These deals are a STEAL. Kadri is *maybe* worth this today, but with a better supporting cast will blow his salary out of the water in 2 yrs.

Reilly is already worth more. If he had asked for a bridge, I would have bet money on this being a 2yr cap hit. The fact they got it for 6 is mind-blowing.

With this signing, Tyler Bozak becomes expendable; if the Leafs can acquire picks or a middle six winger in return, they're better off.

Both contracts are good contracts for the Leafs - not exceptional, but solid and good to build around.

Archived