The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Gudbranson turned down 4 x 4.5M from Florida

AriGold

6 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

He's on a 1 year deal already and it will only take him to RFA. Signing him to a long term contract at this point is so unnecessary.

I know he's signed for next year, and like players to prove themselves before getting a big contract. That's what he did last year with Florida. The Panthers have a pretty slick selection of Dmen to choose from and EG played a few minutes shy of 30 per night in the playoffs. That's not slouch. His point totals don't reflect big money, but that isn't why you pay him. You pay him to be an angry SOB who's presence on the ice keeps the opposition honest.

I don't see the value on waiting on his RFA status to negotiate. Just lock him up and be done with it.

1zn8sgy.jpg

6 hours ago, J.R. said:

We have literally tens of millions in cap space opening up each year the next few years.  It's not an issue. 

Gudbranson is a #3D.

8 years at @5.5m...where do I sign up? 

I wrote a long OP on this a while ago where I went the through the arithmetic, so I won't do it again here. Depending on what Benning does this year with UFAs it is not as good as it seems at first glance. I admit that if no big ticket UFAs are signed then the cap is not an issue for the time being. But if we sign someone at 6 or 7 million per year (or Stamkos at 9 million) things get very tight when we try to re-sign our RFAs (assuming they do well).

As for the depth chart, looking at the guys currently with the team, by the end of next season my projection is Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Sbisa, Pedan, Larsen. That puts Gudbranson at #4, which is where he was with Florida for most of the season (although he played a lot in the playoffs) and where he would be with most good teams.  His numbers -- scoring, plus-minus, advanced stats, whatever just are not that good. Yes he is big and yes he can hit, but he contributes very little offensively and, although solid defensively, is not nearly as good as Tanev, for example. Down the road it will interesting to see how Tryamkin and Gudbranson compare. Obviously there is a lot of uncertainty about Tryamkin but he could be in line for a top 4 position. 

I don't think either Benning or Gudbranson would want to go the full 8 years. But I agree that long term at $5.5 million per year is likely  --  maybe 4 to 6 years. 

6 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I'm not a fan of contracts > 5 years. Gudbranson plays the type of game that takes a toll on the body. I don't want us stuck in a situation down the road where his contract becomes a hindrance.

6 hours ago, King Heffy said:

He's young enough where it's fine and has proven his ability to be a productive NHLer.  We're going to have tons of capspace next year so I'd rather overpay a couple seasons, pay market value for a couple, and then get a discount versus paying market value for 4 years.

I think Barzal is correct on this one. I have not checked things out carefully but my casual impression is that contracts that go for more than 6 years AND take a guy past 30 often cause problems. If he signs a 6 year deal at this time next year that takes him to age 30 and that would be fine. A plausible number for that would be 5.5 million per year. If he remains the kind of player he is now, that is very expensive in my view. But if he takes another step forward in his development, it could turn out to be very good for the Canucks.

• -SN- locked this topic

Archived