The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Gudbranson turned down 4 x 4.5M from Florida

AriGold

40 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Oh my god we're giving this kid the motherload aren't we...

He's worth a lot more than 4.5 over 4.  He's the kind of guy we should sign to 8 years at 5 per.  These are the D (like Willie Mitchell) you shouldn't let get away.  He's the rock the D is built on.  

• Having Gudbranson and Tryamkin patrolling the backend, with Sbisa and Pedan chipping in physically will make life A LOT easier for Edler, Tanev & Hutton. Expect a big bounce back year from Edler now that he doesn't need to play half a game AND carry the physical play from the back end. If we re-sign Hammer as well I expect a Pedan/Sbisa/maybe even Edler trade.

3 minutes ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:
  • Having Gudbranson and Tryamkin patrolling the backend, with Sbisa and Pedan chipping in physically will make life A LOT easier for Edler, Tanev & Hutton. Expect a big bounce back year from Edler now that he doesn't need to play half a game AND carry the physical play from the back end. If we re-sign Hammer as well I expect a Pedan/Sbisa/maybe even Edler trade.

Out of +'s

I'm excited to see what Hutton can do offensively now that we have Gudbranson who can help cover for him. 

Hutton finished with 27 points this season. How many do you guys think he'll be able to get next season? 

5 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Ewww. I'm excited for the guy too but let's see how he plays before betting the farm on him. If he progress to a #2 then he'll be worth that money.

He's played 5 years in the NHL already. We know what we're getting and he's likely only going to be more expensive the longer we take to sign him.

15 minutes ago, J.R. said:

He's played 5 years in the NHL already. We know what we're getting and he's likely only going to be more expensive the longer we take to sign him.

If what you say is true and we know what we're getting, then we know he isn't worth $6M. He was 4th on Florida's depth chart but had a strong playoffs and there's a fairly good chance that he continues to improve and becomes a 2/3. There also a chance that he doesn't get a whole lot better and stays in the 3/4 territory. My point is, at this stage of his career he has not warranted a $48M contract. I'd rather wait until he proves that he's a #2 and pay him $7M a year then jump the gun (Sbisa anyone?), pay for potential and risk having him being the highest paid #4 in the NHL.

1 minute ago, VIC_CITY said:

If what you say is true and we know what we're getting, then we know he isn't worth $6M. He was 4th on Florida's depth chart but had a strong playoffs and there's a fairly good chance that he continues to improve and becomes a 2/3. There also a chance that he doesn't get a whole lot better and stays in the 3/4 territory. My point is, at this stage of his career he has not warranted a $48M contract. I'd rather wait until he proves that he's a #2 and pay him $7M a year then jump the gun (Sbisa anyone?), pay for potential and risk having him being the highest paid #4 in the NHL.

He was the #3 on a MUCH better FLA team.

Sbisa's making fair 4/5 money. 

And no, we don't know what a 24 year old dman is.  Lots of progression can happen during a dman's prime years, after they've taken all the steps to work into the league.  Personally, I think it will be quite a surprise if Gudbranson doesn't put up a tonne more points than he did in Florida.

It's not a huge knock to be beneath Ekblad and Campbell in the depth chart.

i would assume he may want a similar contract to zach bogosian. 5.1m with a ntc i believe

Would really like to see the cap hit under 5m myself, thats alot to pay for a defensive D, we need a playmaking PP QB and those dont come cheap, hopefully we can try and land Yandle

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

I was pretty sure FLA was going to have trouble paying all their RFA/UFA's in the next couple years. Glad we took advantage ::D

I raised this point in another thread but will repeat it here (and I agree this topic is worth a thread.)

1. Gudbranson could have had $4.5 million per year for 4 years starting next year. He settled for a one-year deal of 3.5 million. Obviously he intends to make up that lost million and more for the contract he actually does sign. Obviously there is no way he re-signs long term for less than $5 million per year.

2. With Benning's track record I would anticipate something more like $5.5 million per year, starting in 2017-18, making him the Canucks highest paid D.

3. This is clearly the reason Florida was willing to trade him. They could not afford to keep him. They would have him next year for 3.5 million, then maybe get him for his final year of RFA status at arbitration for maybe $4 million, and then he would be gone.

4. I assume Benning has an idea of how much it will cost to re-sign him. Possibly Florida gave the Canucks permission to talk to his agent.

5. A cap hit of $5.5 million is too much for a guy who will probably be #4 on the depth chart. Yes, he is valuable, but that is awfully steep for a guy who struggles to get into double digit point totals for the year.

6. Cap room will come around to bite the Canucks in the rear end as their good young prospects need to be re-signed as RFAs, starting next year, when Hutton, Horvat and Tryamkin come up as RFAs and Markstrom comes up as a UFA. Baertschi comes up this year and maybe does a one-year bridge deal and if he does well for a full season will require a substantial raise as well.

To be a Cup contender in a Cap environment you need to get the highest productivity PER DOLLAR. Big contracts for decent but not exceptional players make that hard to achieve.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

He's worth a lot more than 4.5 over 4.  He's the kind of guy we should sign to 8 years at 5 per.  These are the D (like Willie Mitchell) you shouldn't let get away.  He's the rock the D is built on.  

I'm not a fan of contracts > 5 years. Gudbranson plays the type of game that takes a toll on the body. I don't want us stuck in a situation down the road where his contract becomes a hindrance.

10 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I'm not a fan of contracts > 5 years. Gudbranson plays the type of game that takes a toll on the body. I don't want us stuck in a situation down the road where his contract becomes a hindrance.

He's young enough where it's fine and has proven his ability to be a productive NHLer.  We're going to have tons of capspace next year so I'd rather overpay a couple seasons, pay market value for a couple, and then get a discount versus paying market value for 4 years.

45 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I raised this point in another thread but will repeat it here (and I agree this topic is worth a thread.)

1. Gudbranson could have had $4.5 million per year for 4 years starting next year. He settled for a one-year deal of 3.5 million. Obviously he intends to make up that lost million and more for the contract he actually does sign. Obviously there is no way he re-signs long term for less than $5 million per year.

2. With Benning's track record I would anticipate something more like $5.5 million per year, starting in 2017-18, making him the Canucks highest paid D.

3. This is clearly the reason Florida was willing to trade him. They could not afford to keep him. They would have him next year for 3.5 million, then maybe get him for his final year of RFA status at arbitration for maybe $4 million, and then he would be gone.

4. I assume Benning has an idea of how much it will cost to re-sign him. Possibly Florida gave the Canucks permission to talk to his agent.

5. A cap hit of $5.5 million is too much for a guy who will probably be #4 on the depth chart. Yes, he is valuable, but that is awfully steep for a guy who struggles to get into double digit point totals for the year.

6. Cap room will come around to bite the Canucks in the rear end as their good young prospects need to be re-signed as RFAs, starting next year, when Hutton, Horvat and Tryamkin come up as RFAs and Markstrom comes up as a UFA. Baertschi comes up this year and maybe does a one-year bridge deal and if he does well for a full season will require a substantial raise as well.

To be a Cup contender in a Cap environment you need to get the highest productivity PER DOLLAR. Big contracts for decent but not exceptional players make that hard to achieve.

We have literally tens of millions in cap space opening up each year the next few years.  It's not an issue. 

Gudbranson is a #3D.

8 years at @5.5m...where do I sign up? 

Archived