The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Gudbranson turned down 4 x 4.5M from Florida

AriGold

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

We have literally tens of millions in cap space opening up each year the next few years.  It's not an issue. 

Gudbranson is a #3D.

8 years at @5.5m...where do I sign up? 

That's a great deal for us and is a better use of our capspace in the next couple of years vs bringing in overpriced UFAs.

34 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I'm not a fan of contracts > 5 years. Gudbranson plays the type of game that takes a toll on the body. I don't want us stuck in a situation down the road where his contract becomes a hindrance.

He's 24.  He would be 32 when that contract expires.  Although I agree with you that term of five years is usually best, with this player I would lock him up for as long as possible.  

6 hours ago, BabychStache said:

I really hope he can develop some chemistry with Hutton, Stecher or Subban. I am finally coming around to the new D Core:

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Sbisa

Stecher/Subban/Pedan

There is size EVERYWHERE. Is that the biggest D core in the league now? They are all over 6'2. The average height for that top 6 d core is 6'4. Woah, good luck getting into Miller/Markstrom/Demkos kitchen... 

Draft Dubois, Sign Okposo or Erikson and dang i like the team moving forward. 

Tryamkin - Sbisa is going to be an adventure... I wonder if JB is shopping Sbisa now and planning on keeping Hammer?

29 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Tryamkin - Sbisa is going to be an adventure... I wonder if JB is shopping Sbisa now and planning on keeping Hammer?

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Gudbranson

Hutton-Tryamkin

Pedan

Larsen

Biega

That's pretty solid depth right there without Sbisa.

My depth chart would look somewhat like this,

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Larsen

(Sbisa)

Subban and Stecher are both close to NHL ready. They will provide the offensive PMD presence while Gudbranson provides the big mean defensive D presence. I would assume that Benning had his eye on Hamonic before, but he was taken off the market. Still, that is a capable D core that can play next season. Good youth, with skilled talent on the way.

I think Benning anticipates us getting Dubois as well. If we do, then the loss of McCann really wont hurt too much. Edmonton already has McDavid and Draisaitl slotted in for their future 1-2 punch combo. If anything, with Nugent Hopkins they have almost too much depth at that position. I see them taking Tkatchuk

Hall - McDavid - Eberle

Tkatchuk - Draisaitl - RNH

That's a very solid forward core for them. I see us snagging Dubois, making McCann's loss less painful

10 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Gudbranson

Hutton-Tryamkin

Pedan

Larsen

Biega

That's pretty solid depth right there without Sbisa.

Yup you can see why JB pulled the trigger on this - it really sets up some good pairings - i actually like a lot of what Sbisa brings and do think he could net a good return

Just now, Bob Long said:

Yup you can see why JB pulled the trigger on this - it really sets up some good pairings - i actually like a lot of what Sbisa brings and do think he could net a good return

Thought about it more.  I actually think this deal could help Sbisa improve a lot.  Sbisa-Gundbranson reminds me a lot of the Willie-Bieksa pairing that was very effective for us.  Add in the improved depth and hopefully less injuries leading to excessive minutes, and I think Sbisa can thrive.  He really hasn't had a partner that suits him yet (he needs a stay at home partner and Hammer, when healthy, couldn't be paired with him without one of them playing on the wrong side).

George RichardsVerified account ‏@GeorgeRichards 8m8 minutes ago

My earlier tweet that Erik Gudbranson turned down a four-year deal has been refuted by both the #FlaPanthers and his agent. I apologize.

George Richards ‏@GeorgeRichards 7m7 minutes ago

According to Tom Rowe and agent Mark Guy, #FlaPanthers and Gudbranson never got that far. My info came from w/in org but not front office

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

George RichardsVerified account ‏@GeorgeRichards 8m8 minutes ago

My earlier tweet that Erik Gudbranson turned down a four-year deal has been refuted by both the #FlaPanthers and his agent. I apologize.

George Richards ‏@GeorgeRichards 7m7 minutes ago

According to Tom Rowe and agent Mark Guy, #FlaPanthers and Gudbranson never got that far. My info came from w/in org but not front office

Nice lol

Just now, J.R. said:

Nice lol

Hopefully this means when we lock Gudbranson up long term it is 4-5M(4-4.5M preferably) and not well north of 5M+.

Guddy buddy shouldn't be paid more than Edler unless of course he proves otherwise next season.

I could see the Benning trying to sign Gudbranson for something similar to Tanev. Both DFD, not very offensive, Tanev probably a little more defensively reliable and with a little more offence where as Gudbranson is an absolute tank compared to him. Tanev signed last year for 5yrs@4.45per at 25yrs old

10 hours ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Yikes. I don't think he is worth $5 mil yet. Give him the season to prove himself further before offering it to him.

No. Don't let him get closer to UFA if you don't have to. Sign him to the 5 mil for 6 years deal, but make sure it isn't NMC NTC. It's up to him if he doesn't want to stick around here, but I wouldn't risk the wait to be honest. Sutter I would have, and I like Sutter, but that contract was a bit rushed. EG signing here long term would be just fine in the long run. 

Just now, Green Building said:

No. Don't let him get closer to UFA if you don't have to. Sign him to the 5 mil for 6 years deal, but make sure it isn't NMC NTC. It's up to him if he doesn't want to stick around here, but I wouldn't risk the wait to be honest. Sutter I would have, and I like Sutter, but that contract was a bit rushed. EG signing here long term would be just fine in the long run. 

He's on a 1 year deal already and it will only take him to RFA. Signing him to a long term contract at this point is so unnecessary.

Archived