The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Gudbranson turned down 4 x 4.5M from Florida

AriGold

I was pretty sure FLA was going to have trouble paying all their RFA/UFA's in the next couple years. Glad we took advantage ::D

...and is going to start costing them a fortune next summer ;)

2017/18

Kulikov UFA, Gudbranson RFA, Kindl UFA, Petrovic RFA, Ekblad RFA and Kampfer UFA.

That's a LOT of guys to re-sign and a good portion are going to get HEFTY raises. IMO they're going to move one of Petrovic/Gudbranson.

As much as I hate to admit it, we have cap space to spend, and his upside makes him a worthwhile gamble.

a $5M/year top-4 RHD man is acceptable if we have our big bad D core balanced out with offensive guys like Hutton.

Gud luk!

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I was pretty sure FLA was going to have trouble paying all their RFA/UFA's in the next couple years. Glad we took advantage ::D

I guess they moved the one with more value :P 

I really hope he can develop some chemistry with Hutton, Stecher or Subban. I am finally coming around to the new D Core:

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Sbisa

Stecher/Subban/Pedan

There is size EVERYWHERE. Is that the biggest D core in the league now? They are all over 6'2. The average height for that top 6 d core is 6'4. Woah, good luck getting into Miller/Markstrom/Demkos kitchen... 

Draft Dubois, Sign Okposo or Erikson and dang i like the team moving forward. 

10 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Yikes. I don't think he is worth $5 mil yet. Give him the season to prove himself further before offering it to him.

It was a fair offer at 4 x 4.5m. If he wants more, he needs to average over 10 points per season.

I smell a 5y 5.5 kind of situation brewing here.  That's about 750k too high, but we get a durable, young, stud of a d-man who can chew up huge minutes.  That would make him the highest paid defenceman on our blueline, but to be fair, the comparables are making a lot more and we need this guy long term.

10 minutes ago, Type R said:

I smell a 5y 5.5 kind of situation brewing here.  That's about 750k too high, but we get a durable, young, stud of a d-man who can chew up huge minutes.  That would make him the highest paid defenceman on our blueline, but to be fair, the comparables are making a lot more and we need this guy long term.

I'd gladly go max 8 years at $5m+. Put him at 32 on expiry.

He was willing to take a one year bridge to help his club in the short run save some cap and salary.

We're in a different position than Florida - not approaching a cap crunch - in fact facing two summers with large amount of cap freeing up.

Great deal for the Canucks.  Could turn out great for both sides if McCann develops into the player he could be.

This contract matter is a non-issue for us - the fact he wants term is not a problem for Vancouver - actually we'll be wanting to buy into his UFA years.

Archived