The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Nice plays by Gaunce shutting down two potential breakaways in a row. Did well there to make sure Scheifele didn't get a quality shot away (and didn't take a penalty).

Thats what I was thinking.

Gaunce looks like a beast. I knew before but seeing him live again for myself just re-assured me of how good he is.

Gaunce drawing that penalty at the end of the 3rd sealed it for the Colts. Kids going to be a good player for the Nucks. One of those big guys that don't take forever to advance to the pros. You gotta love a kid that has a great defensive game, scores goals and is a leader.

How did this guy fall to us!? He looks like a top 10 draftee to me.

Slow skater + lack of offensive upside is why he fell to us.

2 things I feel were overstated. His skating improved over time, I never felt it was anything like Hodgsons', look at him this year, much improved. I'm my opinion if a guy like Brian Boyle can improve his skating, anyone can. And his lack of offense was largely because of players he had around him last year. Now look at him, get him some talent and he'll produce.

I'm hopeful Gaunce becomes a 2C in the NHL

• Upvote 1

Guest Gumballthechewy

2 things I feel were overstated. His skating improved over time, I never felt it was anything like Hodgsons', look at him this year, much improved. I'm my opinion if a guy like Brian Boyle can improve his skating, anyone can. And his lack of offense was largely because of players he had around him last year. Now look at him, get him some talent and he'll produce.

Ahhh, ok.

I think he has the potential to be a 2nd line C, of course nothing is certain, but here's hoping.

Exactly! I remember Mackenzie saying some scouts thought he had sluggish skating and a lack of first line offensive upside which is why he wasn't a top 10 pick, but there were other independent ranking guides that had him much higher.

And remember, Gillis tried to trade up in the draft prior to our pick to get him, and was ecstatic when he fell to us, so he obviously saw some great potential. You don't get that excited over third line potential that can easily be acquired via trade or UFA.

In terms of his skating, looks really solid to me and quite a bit improved in the last year. He is blessed with lengthy extensions and has always had good length in his stride (the flaw in hodgsons skating), but seems to have developed much more power and fluidity. Based on what I've seen he also shows the ability to accelerate quite well through crossovers, and his acceleration in general has improved due to quicker turnover and foot speed, things that typically take bigger players a while to attain. He has clearly developed a getaway gear which is big news and just adds another dimension to his game.

He's got one of the best shots in the draft, one of the top hockey IQ players in the draft, excellent play making, one of the best two way centers in the draft, and his skating has evolved from below average to well above average in under a year. Sounds like a steal to me.

If he continues his progression he could develop into a fringe first line center, really good second line center.

Edited by EvoLu7ioN
  • Upvote 2

If Gaunce continues development at his current pace, I think he could live up to expectations of a Ryan OReilly/Jordan Staal type center. Heres hoping he can make the jump sooner than expected.

Jordan Staal was taken 2nd overall in 06', his expectations were already high.

O'Reilly was just a nice surprise for the AVs.

Jordan Staal was taken 2nd overall in 06', his expectations were already high.

O'Reilly was just a nice surprise for the AVs.

Seeing guys like O'Reilly and Skinner make the jump and be effective as 18/19 yr olds proves time and time again that you never know what your going to get if you simply plug them into place and let them find their groove. Our system seems like to let a player play in any development system so long as it seems to save us money and contract length.... Thus risking irking said player and risk having him demand a trade a la Hodgson.