The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Gillis did not mention Gaunce in his interview about Canuck prospects. He talked about 7 prospects, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Corrado, Jensen, Cassels, McNally and Hutton. FFS Gaunce is a former first round pick and the GM didn't mention him in an interview about our prospects. Didn't mention him when he talked about 7 other prospects. This is not a mistake. Gillis clearly doesn't think that Gaunce is in our top 7 prospects right now. He may develop in the AHL or not. But there is no doubt that right now, Gillis does not consider Gaunce in the Canucks top 7 prospects.

Reading a bit to much into things me thinks.

• Upvote 3

Unless he moves to wing I can't see him as anything other than a 4th line centre on this team for the next 3 seasons or so.

He's not going to pass horvat on depth chart, horvat is a superior player now and in the future.

He should be traded in a hockey deal to improve our wing positions that are lousy.

He should not be traded. end of story. For reasons why see my previous post.

Unless he moves to wing I can't see him as anything other than a 4th line centre on this team for the next 3 seasons or so.

He's not going to pass horvat on depth chart, horvat is a superior player now and in the future.

He should be traded in a hockey deal to improve our wing positions that are lousy.

Exactly...In 2 years time we are still going to have Henrik and Kesler as our 1,2 centers (Most likely). With Bo Horvat as the 3C Gaunce will be an automatic 4C. He will never be above Bo on the depth chart. Bo is just too good. Gaunce would be a nice piece of a trade package.

Edited by dangler696969

Exactly...In 2 years time we are still going to have Henrik and Kesler as our 1,2 centers (Most likely). With Bo Horvat as the 3C Gaunce will be an automatic 4C. He will never be above Bo on the depth chart. Bo is just too good. Gaunce would be a nice piece of a trade package.

Except he's shown to excel on LW as well, and there we have Daniel, Higgins, and, uh, yeah that's pretty much it.

So we go from having no depth at centre to being able to trade our second best centre at the junior level in 8 months.

I understand the reasoning, but it's not good to put all your eggs in one basket. I'd rather have Gaunce as a possible C/LW prospect than pick up a dedicated W prospect.

Only way he's dealt is if we are getting a really good young NHL player who is already producing.

Other than that, he's going to play some games in the A this year post playoffs, and we will be able to see what he's got at the next level.

Thanks for that intelligent comment. Did you watch the video? Gillis was asked to talk about his prospect depth. He listed 7 guys. Gaunce wasn't one of them. Not reading anything into it. Gillis simply doesn't think right now that Gaunce is worth being mentioned in the top 7 prospects that he chooses to discuss.

Cause he's terrible on the wing. Kesler is just awful plain awful and would never play on the wing. Why are we even having this discussion? Let us trade him he will never be anything more than a 4th liner at best.

Gaunce, like Kesler plays wing and center very capably. Trading him just because you believe he'd be pushed down the depth chart shows as much common sense as calling him a bust because you watched a highlight package

Cause he's terrible on the wing. Kesler is just awful plain awful and would never play on the wing. Why are we even having this discussion? Let us trade him he will never be anything more than a 4th liner at best.

Gaunce, like Kesler plays wing and center very capably. Trading him just because you believe he'd be pushed down the depth chart shows as much common sense as calling him a bust because you watched a highlight package

No one from management has said anything about Gaunce being moved to wing. He tried out for a C position on this club and lost out to Schroeder and Richardson. He is always going to tryout as a C.

I may or may not have proposed trading Gaunce for Fleicshmann (sp), but I really do like Gaunce. I like what he brings as a C, but I think to maximize his offensive talents at the NHL level he needs to play wing in order to cover his skating deficiencies.

He kind of reminds me of Higgins with how he plays. Strong in the d-zone. Good in the neutral zone. Good hockey IQ. Great positioning. Overbearing wrister. A bull on the boards. Great on the PK.

Care to elaborate??

well for one its in a thread about brendan gaunce for some reason.

secondly, people need to stop overrating evander kane. i wouldnt give up the two first rounders alone for a 60 pt locker room cancer prima donna.