The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Didn't watch the game today.  Either than his 2 point night... how was Gaunce's overall play?

Amazing. Lots of hits, solid defense, scored and basically caused the goal he assisted on. Decent on faceoffs as well.

Edited by Where'd Luongo?
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Love it when haters get shut up. Great game Gaunce, way to prove your upside immediately.

Schaller looks so out of place on the Horvat line, he's a shutdown guy. 

Depleted line up makes for odd match ups. 

Schaller has gotten some looks, but lacks finish.  Granlund and Virtannen with Horvat would be a good line. 

Schaller with Gaudette and Eriksson as a left over maybe?  

Glad for Gaunce. I thought he was playing the body more on the forecheck.  He has more to offer than many on this board realize.  

Would love to see him play aggressively on the wing.  He can be an affect LW.  

Would much rather have Gaunce on the nucks roster as he can take faceoffs and kill penalties and send Eriksson down to the minors. 

Eriksson has played himself off

this roster IMO.  It might be a needed wake up call or a way to convince him to go back to Sweden. 

His contract NMC was only two years, his NTC is now in affect and that does not prevent being waived.  

33 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Texting with my buddies last night:

Me:  So I guess everytime Virtanen scores you're suppose to shotgun a beer:

Buddy: Well Gaunce just scored, better drink the whole liquor cabinet.

Was trying to figure out the same last night. Wasn't sure of the equivalency.

My first suggestion was "Keg Stand Brendan," but maybe the whole liquor cabinet is actually closer on the math.

Also thought about going with the Gaunce/gonch thing, and when Brendan scores a goal, everyone has to strip off their skivvies and chuck em on the ice (or just wherever's nearest, if you're not in attendance).

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Didn't watch the game today.  Either than his 2 point night... how was Gaunce's overall play?

Defensively I thought his positioning was great, but his quickness is lacking. I think once he can get that covered he will stick. 

Right now now he does a good job of making it hard for the other teams offense but needs to work on having more pressure on the puck to cause turnovers so they can clear the zone

Offensively he had an ok forecheck, once again quickness and puck pressure was lacking. 

The positives are that that he did good things all over the ice once he got the puck, which led to 2 goals!

Just now, Where'd Luongo? said:

Gross, boeser played shutdown?

Boeser was splitting time with Pettersson and horvat. Horvat was deployed in both shut down and scoring

Also Brock Boeser is a very solid two way player considering this is his second year

39 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

Gaunce currently #1 in the league with points per game played.  Trade high!

image.png.3b06ce631f750dd10210d78a17baf738.png

I’d imagine any one of the guys below Gaunce on that chart should be in play. McDavid or Matthews would be nice adds, but given we’re rebuilding, I’d be willing to settle for Brady Tkachuk and Ottawa’s 2020 first (plus maybe that conditional Sharks pick they’re holding).

• Haha 1

It was nice to see Gaunce get rewarded with 2-points last night.  It would be even better to see Gaunce play well enough in this stint to stick on the roster.

At this point in Gaunce's career, this has to be one of the last opportunities he may have to establish himself as a regular in the NHL.

Having observed Gaunce's development since he was drafted, it's probably still an outside chance that he will impress during this call-up BUT it's hard to deny that he has improved his game over the years and, to be frank, he has pretty much done everything asked of him by Canucks management.  Gaunce will never win a skating competition, but his skating has improved.  He toiled on the wing for most of the years of his development when he is a natural center and never really put up a complaint.  I'm glad to see Gaunce is finally getting a shot at center and who knows, maybe this will give him a shot of confidence and allow him to showcase his skillset to a greater degree.

If Gaunce does well enough on this call-up that the team is reluctant to demote him, then I could see the team waiving Leipsic.  Sure Leipsic has a skillset that is unique in the Canucks system, but so far, that skill set doesn't seem to have translated into confidence from the coaching staff that he will help the team win.  Gaunce's ability to play center (how well he plays the position at the NHL level is still to be determined) and be a safe defensive winger might give the edge over Leipsic moving forward.  It creates a bit of redundancy but if he can contribute on the score sheet as well, then maybe that redundancy is not so bad.

Again, it's great to see Gaunce get a chance at the center ice position and I hope he can make the most of it.  It's always nice to see draft picks succeed.

So Gaunce CAN score! It was kind of funny after he scored, it almost looked to me like he wasn't sure how to celebrate lol Then up came the arm and a "Woo!" Hope it happens more for him. I've always been skeptical with Gaunce, and somewhat still am, but he played a good game last night. Hope he keeps it up. I love that the Canucks have a bit of depth this year. Good call signing Beagle, Schaller and Roussel.

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

So Gaunce CAN score! It was kind of funny after he scored, it almost looked to me like he wasn't sure how to celebrate lol Then up came the arm and a "Woo!" Hope it happens more for him. I've always been skeptical with Gaunce, and somewhat still am, but he played a good game last night. Hope he keeps it up. I love that the Canucks have a bit of depth this year. Good call signing Beagle, Schaller and Roussel.

Perhaps he needed a wakeup call. Sometimes realising you don't have a secure position on a team makes all the difference, and there is a difference between knowing that fact and actually understanding that fact.

3 hours ago, Wanless said:

Boeser was splitting time with Pettersson and horvat. Horvat was deployed in both shut down and scoring

Also Brock Boeser is a very solid two way player considering this is his second year

I'm just saying, that's not a shutdown line. It's meant to score as well.

13 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Love it when haters get shut up. Great game Gaunce, way to prove your upside immediately.

Schaller looks so out of place on the Horvat line, he's a shutdown guy. 

Shut the haters up? From memory this was his first decent offensive game in the NHL. He is a fine 4th liner at this point, but he has not proven anything offensively in 1 game. Not even close. 

I like Gaunce, and he played a good game last night, but this was just a start. He needs to continue to look dangerous with his shot, and play physical hockey (something he has completely lacked up to this point in the NHL) for even a shot at staying in this line up.

I'm rooting for the kid. But a small part of me hopes this doesn't continue so you don't create a 'Gaunces secret stuff' meme and start spamming it all over CDC.

• Haha 1