The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Heads up for anybody interested. I spoke to the Knights merch guy, he runs the ordering and all that. I asked how much they'd want for Horvat jerseys to BC, and he said around $225 fully stitched. He'd reduce shipping costs to make it work.

Also, he intends to make the "Bo Knows" shirts again this year, but he hasn't been given the greenlight to make any more Horvat merch yet. Take that for what it's worth, but according to him, he's been told theres about a 40% chance he stays in Vancouver. He's the only Knights besides Zadorov (visa issue) who hasn't returned yet to Knights training camp.

Yeah I really see him making the team.

Well the way he put it was that the Canucks are hoping Horvat is ready, and if he's close enough, he'll have a shot. Mostly because they see it as Canucks fans want to see results from that trade right now.

Which is a huge mistake. I hope Gillis doesn't pull a bonehead move and put Horvat in before he's ready just to try and look like his trade was brilliant.

Horvat needs to spend another season in the OHL. There's too many good things he would be passing up by not going back.

There's no way Horvat is better than Schroeder at this point.

• Upvote 3

He doesn't seem to be as angry as Kes. He certainly won't be a diver or chirper. I think (hope) he will be more like Trevor Linden.

I would definetly be happy if Horvat developed into a Kesler/Linden hybrid if that's what you're trying to get at.

Which is a huge mistake. I hope Gillis doesn't pull a bonehead move and put Horvat in before he's ready just to try and look like his trade was brilliant.

Horvat needs to spend another season in the OHL. There's too many good things he would be passing up by not going back.

I totally agree, and i hope they don't give into that pressure. I'm actually hoping that if Belleville tanks this year, London will pick up Gaunce at the deadline for the Memorial Cup run.

Schroeder has experience on his side, and i think he deserves a fair shot. On the other hand, the thing that makes me think he's ready is the way he matched up against Mark Scheiffle in the finals. Mark is a prospect who is in my opinion extremely ready, and should've been on the jets last year. I think Bo could hold his own, but i'd rather give him 9 games.

Edited by Legend Killer

I totally agree, and i hope they don't give into that pressure. I'm actually hoping that if Belleville tanks this year, London will pick up Gaunce at the deadline for the Memorial Cup run.

Schroeder has experience on his side, and i think he deserves a fair shot. On the other hand, the thing that makes me think he's ready is the way he matched up against Mark Scheiffle in the finals. Mark is a prospect who is in my opinion extremely ready, and should've been on the jets last year. I think Bo could hold his own, but i'd rather give him 9 games.

There's no way Horvat makes the team in my eye. Not when Schroeder would have to be risked on waivers. Not when we have Gaunce who is ahead of him (debateably) in his development and especially not when he's got a solid shot at the world juniors and a guaranteed chance to compete for the Memorial Cup. That's too much potential for development to pass up on. Canucks management aren't foolish.

On Gaunce, if he's in the OHL I would definitely prefer to believe that he'll be the Mark Scheifele of this season. There's no way the Bulls will tank it unless they trade him. They still have enough of a roster and enough game changing players to win more than they'll lose. It would definitely be awesome to see Brendan carry the team through the playoffs in a similar way to how Mark did (almost won the finals against London on his own until he broke down)

You don't win trades with Uncle Lou, but you sure can against the nuckleheads that occupy the offices in Philly.

We won this trade. Cory Schneider is 27 and has a whopping 80 NHL games under his belt and an amazing 1-4 playoff record behind a pretty damn good team.

Adding insult to injury, they then lost Kovalchuck and Clarkson, making the Devils highly unlikely to even make the playoffs let alone win a round. There is no need for an prime goalie for the impending rebuild the devils will have to make. Unless they want to turn into Calgary.

I can't see Belleville tanking, they have too many good pieces on that team, Quine, Gaunce, the Subbans, Crammarossa, exc.

I think they will be more of London's competition more than anything.

As for Horvat being ready, I agree with DeNiro I think we need to keep him in Junior, maybe give him a few games, maybe not. But ultimately send him down to London, let him captain that team, go to the WJ's, exc.

Can't put him in now just to justify the trade cause it will hurt us in the end.

I wouldn't mind seeing Horvat play 3-6 games in the NHL to see what he is about and see what he can bring as a 19 year old (hoping he comes into the NHL next season). If he does play outstanding and suprise at camp, Gillis and Torts can't say no to letting him play and if he plays exceptional for the 9 games we give him in the NHL I want to see him play. It isn't like dominating the OHL is going to make him that much better it is like me facing a bunch of peewee kids.

Can we just agree that Horvat is low-risk medium-reward and Nichuskin is high-risk high-reward?

I'd rather not. As Plum mentioned, Nichushkin has one move which requires playing on international ice. That would be fine except his other tendencies also lend him to international play as well. There's raw potential and a hell of a lot of "disinterested Russianness" in his play. He's ultra high-risk and high-reward, while Horvat is low-risk, high-reward. Gilman used the words "Potential Captain" about Bo for an idea of just how impressed the Nucks are with him.

Edited by SamJamIam

Is another year in the OHL really going to be that much better than playing sheltered minutes on the big club?

If Gillis is treating Bo anything like he treated Jensen, it's more likely you won't see Bo playing for London and rather playing with men. We'd only be rushing his development if we threw into situations where he'd be forced to produce in a top 6 role or in a shutdown role where he will be facing the opponents best forwards. Fortunately, where have the Sedins and Kesler to carry those loads and expectations so Bo would be able to develop under sheltered minutes.

Is another year in the OHL really going to be that much better than playing sheltered minutes on the big club?

If Gillis is treating Bo anything like he treated Jensen, it's more likely you won't see Bo playing for London and rather playing with men. We'd only be rushing his development if we threw into situations where he'd be forced to produce in a top 6 role or in a shutdown role where he will be facing the opponents best forwards. Fortunately, where have the Sedins and Kesler to carry those loads and expectations so Bo would be able to develop under sheltered minutes.

Considering Bo's up for Team Canada (at the WJHC) and London is a team with a chance at the Memorial Cup (and is hosting it), that's exactly where he'll end up. London won't be as likely to agree to let Horvat go play in a European league if he doesn't make the Canucks.

If he makes the team, it's only because he was better than any of the other options we already have and that'll mean he really impressed.

Edited by elvis15
  • Upvote 1

Preseason is going to be a battle between Schroeder, Gaunce, Horvat and the darkhorses(Mallet and Lain). It's been a long time since we've had a prospect battle like this. It's usually plugs like b-mo, Schaefer, Parrish and 41 yr old Nolan trying to win a spot.

This. Horvat is making the team, quote me on it. We can still let him play in the World Juniors.

This. Horvat is making the team, quote me on it. We can still let him play in the World Juniors.

Forget quoting you on it, I want to see you make a youtube video saying you're a retard and know nothing about junior hockey if you're wrong. Up the stakes and we'll see if you stand behind an assertion as dumb as that one. World Juniors, another go of the Memorial Cup on a dominant team, a chance to prove he has more offense than he's been given credit for and possibly as the captain of the Knights. It's never happening that he makes our roster.

He might get a few call ups to supplement all that Junior success and give him new goals. Jensen's choice to go oversees was to do with not getting buried on a roster because of how many NHLers were stuck in the AHL.

Nah man, I'd rather see him in the Memorial Cup facing other young guys like Monahan, Nurse, Rychel, Hartman, Faksa, McDavid. Maybe our own Gaunce. Some good guys in the CHL, OHL. Gaunce has a better chance, he is more suited for the 3rd line position aswell, if his role his to play safe and defensively then he will be our 3rd line center. Edited by Plum