The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

There have been many IMO, Linden hiring, food/concession changes, Gillis firing etc.

So Linden knows nothing about business let alone hockey, the food and experience had been great, and Gillis had the team going in the right direction? These changes were all just window dressing, a "horse and pony show from the Canucks brass to make the fan base happy"? Nothing to do with the actual quality of the product being offered, just gimmicks?

I provide the official faceoff summary from the NHL that have the faceoff stats for Bo which differ from your advanced stats website count. However, you prefer to get numbers from the advanced stats website, and therefore you claim that they are accurate. Hmm. I see what kind of a person I'm dealing with here as well, so I won't bother responding regarding this subject after this.

The above you indicate are indeed facts.

The rest are assumptions surrounding the facts.

Behind the Net (and most advanced stats sites) use NHL.com base #'s. The difference of a few face-offs either means: BTN hasn't updated to include Ottawa game yet, or NHL.com made an error and will adjust over time. Both happen from time to time. Either way, I adjusted the #'s I use to include Ott game, and it further supports my argument. He was a +3 corsi player, and his over dzone face-off % is still the best among any Canucks centre. By a long shot. He still takes lowest o zone face-offs of any Canucks centre. Both of which were emu points.

In your original post, your reply was trying to augment the facts I posted. I.e, you assumed his SA/60 would go up with more TOI, that his corsi #'s have to do with his little TOI in score close situations and talking bout sample sizes. I was stating those replies were assumptions based on actual facts (which they were). I recognized the small sample size, but the very nature of an 9 game tryout in an 82 game season is a very small sample size. So at the end of the day you can either make an evaluation based on the data you have (which I did), or data you think you might have over time (though you've provided no data to support long term claims).

So Linden knows nothing about business let alone hockey, the food and experience had been great, and Gillis had the team going in the right direction? These changes were all just window dressing, a "horse and pony show from the Canucks brass to make the fan base happy"? Nothing to do with the actual quality of the product being offered, just gimmicks?

This is a Horvat thread, so I'll stick to that. Yes I believe there was a horse and pony show this summer (you don't have to that's fine). I was simply saying Horvats audition is a continuation of what I believed to have happened this summer.

This is a Horvat thread, so I'll stick to that. Yes I believe there was a horse and pony show this summer (you don't have to that's fine). I was simply saying Horvats audition is a continuation of what I believed to have happened this summer.

That's fine, but then it calls pretty much everything that's happened into question as just being a puppet show with no substance but polishing a turd. The results so far belie that belief.

TBH, might not be a bad thing. Seeing the game from the press box may help him read the NHL game and pace better. The only problem is, Kassian returns next week, and then it's really a log jam.

I agree with RunningWild on this, he's really been given no opportunity.

With what he has gotten, I don't see how you could say he hasn't earned more, he's been more than good in the dot & very strong defensively, its a 4th line role, what more can u realistically expect? Maybe a point, but its not like he hasn't been doing things offensively, he has.

He's really done all that could be asked in a 4th line role as far as being reliable & being responsible, now they need to give him a bit more opportunity to see if he can continue to play well or not, its not about gifting him a roster spot, or gifting him a top 9 role, if anything its just giving him a bit more opportunity to see whether or not he can handle it.

Unless they do that, they can't be serious about giving him an opportunity to make the team (especially considering the things WD & JB have been saying about his play) and his audition is likely just to please the fans as RW suggested.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

I agree with RunningWild on this, he's really been given no opportunity.

With what he has gotten, I don't see how you could say he hasn't earned more, he's been more than good in the dot & very strong defensively, its a 4th line role, what more can u realistically expect? Maybe a point, but its not like he hasn't been doing things offensively, he has.

He's really done all that could be asked in a 4th line role as far as being reliable & being responsible, now they need to give him a bit more opportunity to see if he can continue to play well or not, its not about gifting him a roster spot, or gifting him a top 9 role, if anything its just giving him a bit more opportunity to see whether or not he can handle it.

Unless they do that, they can't be serious about giving him an opportunity to make the team (especially considering the things WD & JB have been saying about his play) and his audition is likely just to please the fans as RW suggested.

Is the experience of playing 9 NHL games and being around a mature, professional group (currently in a winning environment) not a reason?

I don't like the vey favoritism that happens on the PP when Kass, Horvat and Jensen are not getting looks. What did vey do to "earn" a spot in top unit PP?

I don't like how the forward group for the 2nd unit has remained exactly the same (2nd line) despite not scoring a single PP-goal so far.

I don't like the vey favoritism that happens on the PP when Kass, Horvat and Jensen are not getting looks. What did vey do to "earn" a spot in top unit PP?

He earned it by scoring almost immediately while being put there. He leads the team in powerplay goals.

His excellent passing and playmaking ability make him a natural fit for the powerplay. It's something he excelled at in the AHL, and it makes sense that they would want to have him in a role he's comfortable in.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 1

He has 3 PP goals what more do you want?

I wanted Kassian initially for the net presence as well but clearly Vey was the right choice because he's another trigger man out there, whereas Kassian usually looks to pass like the Sedins.

As for Horvat. Id like to see him remain up for the year and play 10 min a game. Possibly progress to some PK time as the season moves along, and hey maybe a look on 2nd PP unit if it continues to be stale.

As for the Vey talk, i think he needs to be on the 2nd PP unit, bring some change to that unit that hasnt shown much. Maybe if we acquire a PMD we can have 2 D on both units and not need vey as the 4th forward on unit 1

Vey is getting 4th line duty and PP minutes. I think it's a great way to shelter his minutes, but continue to develop his offensive skills.

It looks like Horvat is NHL ready, but the logjam in the bottom 6 is preventing his jump to the NHL. I can't see the management wanting to trade any of Matthias, Richardson, Kassian, Hansen, Vey or Dorsett at this point. Perhaps that is why they are stretching his 9 games out; they are undecided as to which option is best for the team.

Either way, it's plain to see that Bo is going to have a great future and will be a key player on this team.

• Upvote 1

Vey is getting 4th line duty and PP minutes. I think it's a great way to shelter his minutes, but continue to develop his offensive skills.

It looks like Horvat is NHL ready, but the logjam in the bottom 6 is preventing his jump to the NHL. I can't see the management wanting to trade any of Matthias, Richardson, Kassian, Hansen, Vey or Dorsett at this point. Perhaps that is why they are stretching his 9 games out; they are undecided as to which option is best for the team.

Either way, it's plain to see that Bo is going to have a great future and will be a key player on this team.

No one has to get traded to keep Bo up.

We are going with 14 forwards anyway so with everyone healthy that adds up to 14 forwards.

Until Sestito gets back (which may be a while) we are going with 13 forwards.

The question is how much playing time will he get?

That will be determined by his next 4 games and I can't see them playing him for less then 10 minutes a game for his next 4 games unless they have already decided not to keep him up past the 9 game point.

It's still wait and see, we now have DeFazio as a possible 14th forward as well so the squeeze is on!

Apparently Bo is skating on the 4th line with Dorsett and Hansen instead of Vey in practice with Kassian's return

22 - 33 - 17

20 - 13 - 14

27 - 15 - 09

51 - 53 - 36

Looks like Edmonton will be his 6th game.