The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Exactly. I saw Bo being trusted out there with key defensive zone faceoffs and he was given minutes towards the last part of the third period when the game was all tied up, This is much more important to his development, in my opinion, than him going back and lighting up the scoresheet in junior. Bo was drafted for his two-way abilities, the offense will come.

The offense is there, he just needs playing time.

Bo set up his own goal last night, any other player not named Sedin would have passed the puck to Kassian and then drove to the net, Bo passed the puck and skated along the blueline until he got in the open then drove the net at just the right time.

That is offense and done like no one else except the Sedins can.

Just for freaking sakes' watch him.

• Upvote 1

With the recent trend of bridge contracts. Would it really not be better for the Canucks to burn off a year off Bo's deal so his bridge deal is cheaper?

I mean long term wise it makes more of a difference and short term they give him a true extended look.

Should be considered if by finally scoring he plays with more confidence and speed like he was tonight looking eager to prove he belongs to stay.

There are a few factors that Management is taking into consideration that most fans do not. We could get a cheaper bridge deal but the next contract is the ?. If the economy goes very far up or down we may over-pay and be stuck with an onerous contract or we may get him for cheaper in the long run. Another big one is by burning a year off of his ELC he becomes a UFA one season earlier. That could also come back to bite us in the butt later. These are the main reasons that I think he will be loaned to the Junior program before a decision is made.

I don't really understand why people take a difference of opinion so seriously. I don't hate the kid, I just think that Benning is looking at the long term as well as the short term.

He's also worse defensively, -4 and 39.6% on face offs. His skills are better used elsewhere.

I never said we should get rid of Vey.

Neither did I.

Vey has his faults but so does Horvat and that is his offensive capability which is limited as of now, especially if he keeps getting less than 10+ minutes a game and he has. Also WD did say he liked Vey's game at center. Vey, like I said, gives that 4th line more minutes when he is on it because of his strengths which is offensive capabilities .

Where are you going to put Vey when Burrows's healthy? Top 3 lines already have good chemistry.

I have no problem with keeping Horvat if he's getting more than 10+ minutes but he has not. Also one player has to go for him to stay unless he is going to sit in the pressbox until injuries occur or someone's playing badly and no forward has shown that.

Horvat not a difference maker playing under 10+ minutes a game. He is a difference maker playing 20 minutes for a stacked London Knights team. Another year in London will be good for him.

Neither did I.

Vey has his faults but so does Horvat and that is his offensive capability which is limited as of now, especially if he keeps getting less than 10+ minutes a game and he has. Also WD did say he liked Vey's game at center. Vey, like I said, gives that 4th line more minutes when he is on it because of his strengths which is offensive capabilities .

Where are you going to put Vey when Burrows's healthy? Top 3 lines already have good chemistry.

I have no problem with keeping Horvat if he's getting more than 10+ minutes but he has not. Also one player has to go for him to stay unless he is going to sit in the pressbox until injuries occur or someone's playing badly and no forward has shown that.

Horvat not a difference maker playing under 10+ minutes a game. He is a difference maker playing 20 minutes for a stacked London Knights team. Another year in London will be good for him.

Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata

Higgins/Burrows, Bonino, Vey/Kassian

Burrows/Higgins, Richardson, Kassian/Vey

Dorsett, Horvat, Hansen

Matthias IMO gets packaged to get us some D with Hammer injured.

Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata

Higgins/Burrows, Bonino, Vey/Kassian

Burrows/Higgins, Richardson, Kassian/Vey

Dorsett, Horvat, Hansen

Matthias IMO gets packaged to get us some D with Hammer injured.

frack that

Why would you mess with the 2nd and 3rd lines chemistry like that? They have yet to prove they need revamping.

Bonino's line is the best defensive line as well as the best scoring line behind the Sedins. Why mess with that?

Kassian plays great with Richie and Matthias. Matthias is playing strong right now and him, as well as Kassian, give opposing defenders a tough time. Why mess with that?

I want more D as much as the next guy ;) but I am not willing to mess with the chemistry of our top 3 lines until they have proven otherwise.

Corrado was just called up btw.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

Well the only issue is that he'll still be on the 4th line, so he'll get whatever the 4th line gets.

The positive is that WD still had him out there in a 3-2 lead and a 3-3 tie vs ANA in the 3rd period, so he should at least be avoiding the 5-6 minutes per game that he's been getting.

WD talked post-game about how Dorsett plays the least amount of minutes in comparison to what he actually deserves - that's because of our depth and unfortunately, the 4th line's minutes get limited. Might still be the same with Bo. He may well have earned 10+ minutes last night, but he might not necessarily get it.

How do you suppose we'll be able to find a solution at the mere cost of a bottom 6 forward?

Vey plays 4C. Jensen will replace the traded winger.

True, but at the same time, I'm not sure Dorsett would be better in 3rd line role playing 12-15 minutes. He's effective because he plays limited minutes and usually keeps him on the good side of that fine line between playing with an edge rather than being undisciplined/liability.

In a perfect world, we would blend in Kassian size and grit with Vey offensive abilities to make that super Power Forward and play on the 2nd line and Burrows would drop to third line, thus making room for Horvat LOL

But I think Horvat can stick around anyways, Burrows/Kassian seems banged up and might be in and out of the line-up, which opens up a spot for Vey on the 2nd/3rd line. Also i'm not sure Dorsett can keep up (or should keep up) that intensity for 82 games. Eventually he might slow down/get nagging injuries and we'll need him during the important stretch in Feb-March and Playoffs, even if he doesn't deserve it, in the long run it would be beneficial for him and us to give him a few nights off.

Also with the Versatilty of Burrows (LW/RW), Matthias and Richie (LW-C) if any top 9 is injured, there will always be room for Horvat at 4C.

It's a small sample size (and early) but Scorvat seems to perform better against big physical teams versus smaller faster teams.

Yeah he does, built for playoff hockey in the Pacific. He will learn how to play against the wee guys, just lean on them hard untill they break.

One of Higgins/Burrows and Bonino would still be together. Vey looks good there and also allows for both him and Bones to take draws.

Richardson and Kassian would still be together.

Burrows/Higgins is an upgrade on Matthias.

Better balance/more talent throughout the lines.

We need D, you have to give to get.

Our top 4 D depth was paper thin WITH Hamhuis. Without him it's terrifying.

The offense is there, he just needs playing time.

Bo set up his own goal last night, any other player not named Sedin would have passed the puck to Kassian and then drove to the net, Bo passed the puck and skated along the blueline until he got in the open then drove the net at just the right time.

That is offense and done like no one else except the Sedins can.

Just for freaking sakes' watch him.

Easy now, I'm on your side

JB probably wants to see how we play without Hammer before he decides to make moves. Hence the Corrado call up

We have the record we have because of the lineup we ran with. lets not mess that up for Horvat who might not play more than 10+ minutes a game.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

JB probably wants to see how we play without Hammer before he decides to make moves. Hence the Corrado call up

We have the record we have because of the lineup we ran with. lets not mess that up for Horvat who might not play more than 10+ minutes a game.

horvat was part of that lineup... or are you saying we should keep him in....

but "We have the record we have because of the lineup we ran with." he was part of that lineup, so " lets not mess that up"

and did nothing to contribute?

75 faceoffs, 56% win rate? 58.8% on the road (where the coach doesn't get to choose a favorable matchup), nevermind the solid defensive play

Edited by avelanch

you do nothing but contradict yourself over and over. you don't want to change the lineup, but you want it to change because you feel someone doesn't contribute... make up your mind.

also, as far as not contributing:

75 faceoffs, 56% win rate? 58.8% on the road (where the coach doesn't get to choose a favorable matchup), nevermind the solid defensive play and he is just starting to get rolling with his first goal....