The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Honestly, he could have had 5-6 points if he got all the bounces last night. I didn't think his assists (other than the 1st one) were great, but he created some great scoring chances where his line didn't capitalize on, so I feel like it evens out - what matters is that they are creating chances. Great on the draws. Just a solid overall game with a lot of minutes. He's showing he can play. The consistency will probably be tested if he stays for the whole season, but that is to be expected as a rookie.

That's 8 games for Bo now. How fitting that his 9th is against Schneider's Devils. I hope he puts one past Schneider tomorrow night :P

Dare I say it? Horvat has arrived. All it took was one goal and now, the floodgates are about to be opened up. The man-child does so many things so well. Plays a mature, seasoned, professional, disciplined game...he's making it tough on JB and WD to send him back to the O.

Other than the turnover in the neutral zone against Ottawa when he tried to dangle (? can't remember if this was the game), he hasn't made a noticeable mistake.

The age of Bo has arrived in Vancouver.

I think that was against Anaheim - didn't see the full Ottawa game, but I doubt he tried that again haha.

Very excited as to what he displayed today! If he sticks what happens to him for WJC, do we loan him still?

He played really well, but I kind of want to down play it a bit. It's not like he had 3 amazing passes that resulted in goals.

He had 3 assists but he wasn't even on the ice for 2 of them (boxscores show only a +1). All in all he played well and I hope this continues!

Yeah I think that might be a score sheet mistake? He did go off to change on Hansen's 2nd goal, and his 3rd assist came on a EN - unless they don't give +/- for ENs, he should be +2 (or maybe he changed when Higgins lifted the puck out of the d-zone - I didn't see).

As for WJC, I think it all depends on our health. We have decent depth and can definitely afford to let Bo go to the WJC (great experience IMO) if we don't have any injuries at the time.

Horvat's faceoff wins vs.

Kopitar - 3/5 (60%)
Carter - 3/4 (75%)
Kesler - 5/8 (63%)
Toews - 5/5 (100%)

That's pretty impressive. I think a little bit of it may be that those guys don't have a book on Bo and they may have underestimated the 19-year-old. If he stays up for the season, we'll have to see how the numbers adjust as these guys start to respect him more on faceoffs and study him (I don't think anyone expects he'll go perfect against Toews in a season).

for the guy who was saying bo wasn't contributing outside of faceoffs, last night you saw exactly what winning a faceoff, even ones in his own zone, can do. he got an assist based on his faceoff wins, one that led directly to 2 of hansen's goals. Henrik got a free +1 because of it too.

Well the 2nd goal was a complete winger's win by Hansen and Dorsett - Toews actually drew it closer to his winger but Hansen tied him up, which let the puck slide past and Derek jumped up and got the puck. I guess one could say Bo did well by tying up Toews enough so that it wasn't a clean draw and gave his wingers a chance to get him a faceoff win.

The EN - I'm guessing Bo won the faceoff for - but Hawks had possession and was on the attack before the Canucks retrieved the puck and lifted it out of the zone, so I don't think one could say a faceoff win got us that one.

Toews alone is a monster on faceoffs just a great show that he can stand up against the best.

Yeah 57% on the season but only 38% last night - Bo was 100% against him, Bonino 60%, Henrik 55% and Richardson 50% - he didn't have a winning record against any of our centers.

I was a Horvat Nay Sayer. I was one of those guys who said send him back, but tonight he was extremely impressive. extremely impressive. Will is going to have a tough decision.

He was so good tonight, I was 100% sure when Horvat was out there, the Hawks weren't going to score on us.

I will love to see him get loaned still.

Personally I will love to see him Virtannen McCann and Suban go to war for team Canada.

How cool would a McCann-Horvat-Virtannen line as the WJC be? :)

He did

He was slow then worked on it for a year

no one ever said that (that i can recall)

He was above game weight coming in to camp. Hes trimmed down.

Listen you mook. When someone says that a player isnt playing well that goes for past performances. We can't predict the future, we can however analyze the past. Because he had a monster night it does not make previous comments about previous games untrue. Do you understand? I know its hard for you.

Dude. You're a fucking moron. He did not lose 6 or whatever straight games. He played for Team Canada at the summer tournament and won all the games he played in. Next time, do you research before you pull garbage out of your asshole.

"he was slow then worked on it for a year"

People were saying he's slow before THIS season. Not LAST SEASON. I'm talking about THIS PRE SEASON. You know... the season where he has 4 points in 8 games, 60% on faceoffs, and matched up against Kopitar, Toews, Kesler?

• Upvote 2

well what your doing is ridiculous. Based on previous play and TOI 5 days ago, yes he needed to be sent down if that play continued. There was no upward trend whatsoever. Bo got 4 mins of ice against OTTAWA. At that point in time there was no indication that bo would see 15 mins against the hawks.

Basically what's your saying is that because sbisa had a solid game last night that everyone was wrong for criticizing him for the rest of the season.

No. You're an idiot for overreacting when we had barely even seen him play. Playing 5 minutes a game doesn't mean he played bad. Not every player makes a big play or a big hit on every shift.

Do you understand? I know its hard for you.

• Upvote 1

.. told you he'd be good. type of player every team wants. He's ready.

Thanks LK

Guy's like you are the reason i read these forums. Your insight on his play in London was appreciated.

Not to often you see a 19yr old push aside men.

Kids a beaut.

Edited by sting
  • Upvote 1

Nice to see Horvat played 14 and a half minutes last night too. That line became our third line and Richardsons line dropped to fourth. I'll be curious to see if that continues of if Desjardins was just rolling with the hot line.

Hot line.

If they stay hot I'm sure it will continue.

Like how there were a couple games where Bonino got more ice time than Henrik when they were hot.

No. You're an idiot for overreacting when we had barely even seen him play. Playing 5 minutes a game doesn't mean he played bad. Not every player makes a big play or a big hit on every shift.

Do you understand? I know its hard for you.

Woah whats the insults you two? We all want the best for him do we not?

Just because he commented on his ice time doesn't mean he thinks he played bad. If WD played him 5 minutes a game every night would you want him to stay? That's not nearly enough ice time for any rookie let alone any NHL player.

Thankfully that's not the case and WD is playing him in quality minutes which he has earned. That's something every Canuck fan can be happy about.

Hopefully Horvat can consistently play great defensively and on the dot. We will need it especially because of Hammer's injury.

Easy now.

Remember what happened with Hodgson.

The kid played great tonight, but we shouldn't expect that kind of performance every night.

Okay, promise I won't start hating if he doesn't keep up his 246-point pace. Thing is, he's different from a Hodgson, Schroeder, or Shinkaruk -- he plays a complete/solid game that should be much more consistent than a flashy offensive game.

Going to be fun watching him and Monahan go head-to-head for many years to come.

• Upvote 1

One could and should say that, yes.

I think the credit should go to the winger if it isn't a clean draw and they retrieve it, but whatever.

That was a draw Toews should have won but his winger Saad screwed up (it went right to him) because Hansen tied him up and Dorsett swooped in for the puck.

I think the credit should go to the winger if it isn't a clean draw and they retrieve it, but whatever.

Why can't they both have credit for making good plays? The winger did his job coming in and taking away the draw, the centre did the next best thing to winning the the draw in tying up the opposition C.

Why can't they both have credit for making good plays? The winger did his job coming in and taking away the draw, the centre did the next best thing to winning the the draw in tying up the opposition C.

I dunno. It's like a ref dropping a puck right? Center gets credit for clean draws upon puck-drop. If it goes to the wing, it's basically a puck drop for the wingers to battle over, so I generally think that the credit the winger for winger wins. Personal preferences I guess.