The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

This is exactly the type of player that has earned more ice time. You couldn't write the script better. Yet after his best game of the season against the defending Cup champions, he's been given less than 8 min each of the last 2 games. And been demoted to the 4th line with scrubs.

They've in now way given him any type of opportunity to succeed, other than placing his nameplate in the locker room. I honestly believe this is another horse and pony show from the Canucks brass to make the fan base happy, "give the top prospect a few games to make the fans happy". There's no other way to explain the way they're using (or not using him). I won't explain in detail how he's currently a better option than Richardson or Matthias (cause he is an the #'s prove it). But I will say, send him back to Jr. where he can play big minutes instead of being wasted in Van and being trotted out as a prize to the fan base.

Hansen and Dorsett are scrubs? The NHL named a Scrub 1st star of the Week ;)

So is it a horse and pony show all year now? Yay.

Both Horvat now has one goal 0 assists in his last 17 games spanning back to the memorial cup.

Memorial cup 4 gp zero points

Prospects tournament 4 games played zero points

Preseason find games played one goal

4 American hockey league Games played zero points

5 NHL games zero points.

He's been okay however he is clearly struggling offensively. I hope they do the right thing and send him back ASAP

The offence is just a bonus. His role is to play great defensively and go hard to the net when he's in the O-zone.

Lindenning and Willie D know what they're doing here, trust them.

Anyone can make a "safe pick", the thing with Gillis is that he didn't make enough of our picks count. JB has done alot of damage control on top of the "safe picks" Gillis made; We basically gave up Mallet for free today and he was a 2nd round pick only 2 years ago.

In no way is Mallet a 2nd rounder. Maybe, Technically yes he was drafted in the 2nd round, but i'm pretty sure if the Canucks don't take him, he would have been taken in the 3rd, 4th or even 5th round. Someone in the Canucks scouting department thought he found something in Mallet and really sold him to Gillis.

Canucks probably thought they had found their Datsyuk or Zetterberg with him. I'm ok with them take a risk and going for the homerun, but now we can see that we struck out and with Shink, Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, Gaunce and even Valk and Fox are all ahead of Mallet on the depth Chart.

He'll never get a chance with the Canucks, let alone with the Comets. So why not get more Dman in the prospect pool

So does this thread get moved to Canucks Talk now?

it'll stick around until next season then probably disappear. most of the talk about him will start to happen in CT at that time (unlikely he'll have his own thread dedicated to him, but he'll be included in all the other threads about the team)

I'll be moving him into the graduated section of the prospect tracker next season.

Edited by avelanch

It didn't seem to hurt the creativity of Kesler or Burrows (amongst many other current NHL'ers) to play third/fourth line minutes early in their careers. Especially on decent teams with great leaders. If this year doesn't pan out between the NHL and the World Juniors for Bo he can play in the AHL next season. I don't really see it as a lost year.

Another year in Junior would have been a waste in my opinion. I don't think sendng him back to dominate the league against boys would have furthered his game much. In fact it could have created some bad habits. The NHL is based on team defense first if you want to be successful in the playoffs.

Bo will refine his defensive game (PK) and face off skills while playing with capable NHL wingers. I see him as potentially a lesser Steve Yzerman (I know he's not Steve Y). Strong on the defensive side of the puck leading to scoring chances on turnovers, or puck control goals by being able to hold the puck.

You learn that at the NHL level against NHL competition..

Edited by Borvat