The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Horvat made an outstanding play schooling Campbell to draw that penalty.

Willie needs to play him more, I can't believe he didn't get another shift after that, especially with how bad some of our other forwards have been. Even Hansen & Richardson got out on the PP instead of him.

That play wasn't just a coincidence either, he's gaining confidence, he could bring more of this if Willie would use him. And at this point we could use that kind of contribution from Bo.

Willie should give Horvat & Kassian some more minutes, and give Higgins & Bonino less minutes, Kass & Bo have been playing well lately (especially Kass since his return), while Bonino & Higgins have been subpar (at best) for some time now.

Kassian has seen his usage change and his minutes increase by a good 2-3 minutes since injury. Whether that's because they're showcasing him or not, he's still getting more ice.

Horvat's consistently playing the game low in minutes most nights and it drives me bonkers. He should be clearing 10 minutes every night and yet the coach shows little confidence in him in third periods. Richie was injured the other game and Horvat was still stapled to the bench and finished with under 9 minutes. Like you said, you can tell he's got more confidence out there and IMO has earned some more responsibility..he's not your regular teenager and our only player over 50% in the dot this season

Edited by Robongo

Horvat's consistently playing the game low in minutes most nights and it drives me bonkers. He should be clearing 10 minutes every night and yet the coach shows little confidence in him in third periods. Richie was injured the other game and Horvat was still stapled to the bench and finished with under 9 minutes. Like you said, you can tell he's got more confidence out there and IMO has earned some more responsibility..he's not your regular teenager and our only player over 50% in the dot this season

Yeah it's odd that Bo's playing time has gone under 10 minutes again when he's been playing pretty well.

I really would like to see bottom 6 changed up.

Matthias Horvat Kassian

Dorsett Richardson Hansen - shutdown line 95% defensive starts

Yes, let's put Richardson, he of 19 points in 39 games and 5th highest point producer on this team, on the 4th line in favour of our rookie 4th line center with 7 points in 26 games.

Our bottom 6 has been just fine - the top 6 is where things have gone bonkers with Bonino going cold and Sedins being unreliable - you just don't know which Sedins you are getting on a given night these days.

I remember that play, Bo had one venture into the O zone, it was a 15-20 sec. shift.

I think Bo is still under orders to be first off the ice for his line...as well as usually the last one on the ice for the start of the shift.

As soon as he pots a few of those grade A chances and his wingers start producing again his ice time and role will increase...needs to get a little meaner somehow and just play.

Still on that conspiracy theory?

Edited by Dasein

Yeah it's odd that Bo's playing time has gone under 10 minutes again when he's been playing pretty well.

Yes, let's put Richardson, he of 19 points in 39 games and 5th highest point producer on this team, on the 4th line in favour of our rookie 4th line center with 7 points in 26 games.

Our bottom 6 has been just fine - the top 6 is where things have gone bonkers with Bonino going cold and Sedins being unreliable - you just don't know which Sedins you are getting on a given night these days.

Still on that conspiracy theory?

Just the way it is...just watch...

For all the wrong reason.

Sam Reinhart couldn't make a weak Buffalo team. If you'd prefer Horvat over Reinhart you're fooling yourself. Making the NHL first doesn't mean he's the better player.

Also, Domi and Horvat are different players - Domi is a top 6 winger while Horvat's game allows him to begin on the 4th line. There's zero chance Horvat would have cracked Arizona's top 6 either, so moot point.

I still prefer Horvat over Domi for the solid two-way play and positional need (big shutdown center), but Domi is definitely the way to go if you want a dynamics offensive forward.

Also doubt that Horvat would have gotten the "C" over Lazar since Lazar would have played a bigger role.

That was generally the consensus that Horvat would be 3C behind Reinhart and McDavid

You make some very good points.

The big difference in my mind is their size. Domi is about 5'9" .... I think you have to be an extraordinary talent to succeed at the nhl level being "small" like Domi. I use quotes for small because in the real world 5'9" is average height.

A guy like Jordan Schroeder is a great example. He looked awesome at the juniors, was a high draft pick, but couldn't translate that success into the nhl. Schroeder was too small to be effective in the long run.

Horvat is built for the nhl. Less offensively gifted than Domi for sure...but if Domi can't produce at a top 6 level as a small forward he can look at a guy like Gilbert brule as an example of what will happen to him. At least Bo can be brought up in the bottom 6 to start and can be a valuable asset because of all the things he can do outside of scoring..

• Upvote 3

You make some very good points.

The big difference in my mind is their size. Domi is about 5'9" .... I think you have to be an extraordinary talent to succeed at the nhl level being "small" like Domi. I use quotes for small because in the real world 5'9" is average height.

A guy like Jordan Schroeder is a great example. He looked awesome at the juniors, was a high draft pick, but couldn't translate that success into the nhl. Schroeder was too small to be effective in the long run.

Horvat is built for the nhl. Less offensively gifted than Domi for sure...but if Domi can't produce at a top 6 level as a small forward he can look at a guy like Gilbert brule as an example of what will happen to him. At least Bo can be brought up in the bottom 6 to start and can be a valuable asset because of all the things he can do outside of scoring..

Of course any time a player is short statured (undersized), there is some concern. That being said, the reason I am not as worried about Domi is that he is a Domi. His dad made a living as an enforcer at only 5'10" (pretty sure that was inflated) - Max has similar size and grit but also unbelievable speed and skill that blows his father away.

Neither Brule nor Schroeder had the fight in them that Domi has shown. They didn't have an NHL father to show them the ropes either - training the right way, getting mentally prepared, how to play in the NHL as an undersized forward, etc since a very young age. The only similarity between the two you mentioned and Domi is height.

That being said, I think the way Jordan Schroeder played at the WJC is comparable to the way Nic Petan played. So I don't think Petan's game will translate well in the NHL, but Domi has that extraordinary talent, intangibles and background that will lead to success in the NHL despite his size IMO.

Edited by Dasein

one could also argue that the statistics are consistent with how horvat has been used/deployed.

I can't see how it can even be suggested the stats are the result of his deployment.

His teammates possession stats are significantly worse with him than without him. A negative -7.8% CF%REltm is truly awful-it means his teammates possession stats are much, much worse when playing with him than they are otherwise.

Also, his defensive zone faceoff starts are a smaller portion of his starts than all but one other of the top 13 forwards.

His opponents' CF% is 50.1-almost exactly average.

There's nothing there at all to suggest that his CF% is the result of playing with poorer than average teammates, against good opponents or his zone deployment.

Interesting post tyhee

I think it explains why Bo is not and should not be promoted any time soon, and also why he was still only playing his regular minutes when Richardson was injured - WD shelters his 19-year-old 4th line center (not surprising). It was mentioned by different posters on this board, but rarely with the numbers above.

Edited by Dasein

Bo's development is caught between info overload and playing the role of the self effacing rookie to the vet's.

He needs playing time and to relax his mind a bit.

His development has been pretty amazing so far given the situation... his skating is improving by leaps an bounds, his first few steps are awesome now and his top speed is now above average for our team.

By the end of the season I hope to see his edge work improve to above average as well.

At that point if he is getting the playing time his true potential should be obvious to even the few dithering dolts who still can't see it.

• Upvote 2

Horvat has played with Dorsett, Hanson and Burrows which can only be a big plus. His FO % is stressed but his positioning on the ice is usually without fault. He is gaining confidence with the puck and I suspect that by season's end he will be shining.

• Upvote 3

I like Horvat's game, he always seems to go where the pucks going to be.I think with more experience and confidence he will translate his forecheck into better scoring opportunities.I think he's playing like he's scared to make a mistake (rookie stuff).Nice GWG in FLA tho. Plus I think he needs to stay on top of his faceoff % game too.

• Upvote 1

For the last 7 games horvat has looked really good. He's forechecking really good making some hard hits. His speed has improved by a lot since he came here. And offensively he seems to be doing more with the puck. Yesterday he made some great passes to Dorsett and Hansen for grade a chances and he also had 3 or 4 good chances himslef. Defensively though he still seems to be standing still as if still not used to the speed of the nhl. There's is no doubt in my mind that will improve as he keeps playing here

I like Horvat's game, he always seems to go where the pucks going to be.I think with more experience and confidence he will translate his forecheck into better scoring opportunities.I think he's playing like he's scared to make a mistake (rookie stuff).Nice GWG in FLA tho. Plus I think he needs to stay on top of his faceoff % game too.

When you play an avg of 10 minutes per night....7-8minutes in tight games and 12-13 in blowouts....and regardless of how well or bad you play, thats enough to kill confidence in anybody.

I get the process WD is trying to establish, the learning curve, but if Horvat is not tested, pushed a little bit, how is he suppose to grow, develop. Even though, personnally I would like Horvat to be our permanent 3C, I don't understand why he hasn't been given 15-16 minutes as a 3C for at least 3-5 games this season. I mean, I know we are in a battle, the standing is tight, but that same core proved time and time again that they will fail in crunch time. Why not try him out, get some fresh blood once in a while.

All he's learning is not making a mistake, be safe, thinking too much instead of letting his talent and instinct speak for itself. He's learning to be Chris Higgins 2.0. I mean Higgins is a great depth guy, but Horvat has so much more potential.

I don't want to compare Horvat to any of them, but look at Ekblad, he was giving a chance and impressed. Or Gaudreau with the Flames, I mean he has a completely different role than Horvat, but if he can play 16minutes a night without being a liability, why can't Horvat do it. We could say the same about Burakovsky, Kuznetsov.

Edited by timberz21

I'm a little impatient with the playing time he gets as well but it is probably the way to go with young ones.

Although his confidence may be taking a bit of a hit here and there his playing time will increase and there is virtually zero chance he gets burned out before the playoffs which could happen to Eckblad or Johnny hockey if there minutes keep increasing.

I expect that we will have either 3 second lines come playoff time and make some noise or 3 third lines and just squeak in.I

It depends on Bonino, Matthias and Kassian our most inconsistent players if they can step it up I'm sure Bo will too.

I'm a little impatient with the playing time he gets as well but it is probably the way to go with young ones.

Although his confidence may be taking a bit of a hit here and there his playing time will increase and there is virtually zero chance he gets burned out before the playoffs which could happen to Eckblad or Johnny hockey if there minutes keep increasing.

I expect that we will have either 3 second lines come playoff time and make some noise or 3 third lines and just squeak in.I

It depends on Bonino, Matthias and Kassian our most inconsistent players if they can step it up I'm sure Bo will too.

Looks more like 3 third lines so far....and I think that a problem. I get that their philosophy is to roll 4 lines and keep everyone fresh.

But at some point, you need to have 1-2-3-4th line. Right now it seems that the Bottom 9, rather than pushing themselves to win a top 6 role, they play to keep their top 9 role or not to end up on the fourth.

Competition is good when 2-3 players fight for a spot, but right now it seems like the whole bottom 9 is fighting each other. At one point they'll need to get into a groove, understand their role, and roll that way until the end (with minor tweaks here and there).

Edited by timberz21