The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Yes I agree Mathias is a better fit at LW. Here is what I think the canucks could dress that would be really good 4 lines if it looks like this next season:

Sedins-Jensen

Burrows-Kesler-Santorelli

Mathias-Horvat-Kassian

Higgins-Richardson-Hansen

Replace Jensen with a legit first liner, or Santorelli with a legit second liner and we're good.

Replace Jensen with a legit first liner, or Santorelli with a legit second liner and we're good.

We will be good only if replacing Jensen with Lucic, Santorelli with Stastny.

Otherwise, we better rebuild. Exit from second round playoff is not what we dream of.

Sedins Burr/Kassian

Vrbata Kes Jensen/Burr

Higgins Horvat Burr/Jensen

Matthias Richardson Hansen

I think Jensen's speed matches better with Kes.

Higgins + Burr can recover mistakes made by the rookie

If Burr outplays Kas he stays with Sedins and Kas moves to the 3rd line.

Buy out Booth to pay for Vrbata.

Mathias is horrible at faceoffs, if he can't improve that he'll never be more than a 4th line centre or 3rd line winger.

It's surprising how poor his FO% has been at the NHL level, given that his faceoff ability was initially considered one of his "strengths" in many of the draft scouting reports.

Hopefully it's an area of his game that can still be improved, as he has many of the other traits required for a prototypical 3rd line centre with size.

How does a guy get a GOAL per game, and even more assists, yet be invisible? Seriously.

He is 'invisible' but its not in a bad way. Mantha seems to be very sneaky and good at picking the times he choose to stand out. Plus its not a bad quality to have considering that being "invisible" but still being about to impact a game could be a good quality because no one will pay attention to him and them boom he puts up a couple of quick goals.

edit: meant to be the first quote of the above post but it didn't show up

Edited by Gstank29

He is 'invisible' but its not in a bad way. Mantha seems to be very sneaky and good at picking the times he choose to stand out. Plus its not a bad quality to have considering that being "invisible" but still being about to impact a game could be a good quality because no one will pay attention to him and them boom he puts up a couple of quick goals.

edit: meant to be the first quote of the above post but it didn't show up

I don't think that is how the original poster intended the word "invisible".

Article from Sportsnet about why it was a good thing Canucks and Buffalo sent down Horvat and Zadorov, respectively. (Link)

I cut out the Zadorov parts in the Quote.

Bo Horvat, Zadarov’s teammate in junior, was similarly fortunate when reassigned to London from the Vancouver Canucks camp. In most cases these moves would be classified as demotions or exiles. Instead they were, for both players, escapes from toxic situations, refuge found with the Canadian Hockey League’s London Knights, who are about to play in their fourth MasterCard Memorial Cup in 10 years. Though they take the bus rather than charter flights, the ostensibly amateur Knights could teach lessons in professionalism to a few NHL teams.

Vancouver drafted Horvat ninth overall last June with the pick that came over in the trade of Corey Schneider to New Jersey. It looked like a good situation for a teenager to be broken into the lineup slowly. After all, the Canucks were a veteran group and had a deep roster. In retrospect, though, one of the few things Vancouver got right this season was sending Horvat back to London and sparing him prolonged exposure to the limited-run sideshow that was the John Tortorella era.

Even though he was working on his game three time zones away from the meltdown in Vancouver, Horvat has been one of the most discussed topics on Canucks message boards. Before he has played a regular-season NHL game, the analytics crowd is questioning whether he will be productive enough to be a top-six forward at the next level. Horvat argues that the numbers don’t matter with the Knights and seals his case with a point that hammers home London’s success in developing NHLers. "The focus here is on winning," he says. "You’re shown what to do and you better do it. If you’re doing what it takes to win, development is going to take care of itself. When you get to play in the world juniors and the Memorial Cup, those are learning experiences. They push you to improve your game."

Zadorov and Horvat both could have lasted with their NHL teams this season, but both were sent down—for their own good, as it turns out. Ordeal doesn’t make for good player development. Ordeal is what it would have been for Zadorov with the Sabres. Ordeal is what it would have been for Horvat with the Canucks and a blow-top coach trying to impose his game on players ill-suited to play it. No, Zadorov and Horvat will go back to Buffalo and Vancouver better for another season of experience in London and at the title tournament and for their protection from NHL franchises in turmoil. Hopefully, when they make the step up, they’ll be joining organizations as professional as the one in the bus league."

I'm glad we sent down Horvat, Kept him away from the disaster that was this season. He needed an extra year to work on his offense plus got the opportunity to play in the WJC and Memorial Cup. Hopefully he can crack the line-up next year.

You can watch Horvat and the Knights play against Anthony Mantha and the Val-d'Or foreurs today at 4pm PST on Sportsnet.

Tyson Giuriato @TysonGiuriato

Chatted with #Canucks prospect Bo Horvat the other day. This is the result: http://ow.ly/wVLfG - via CDC

“We really want to win it this year,” said Horvat. “I don’t want to be that guy that has been three times and never won it. It would be really nice to win at home with all our fans supporting us.”

This year will be a bit different. Unlike the past two years, where the Knights earned their spot in the tournament by winning the OHL Championship, this year they were ousted in the second round of the playoffs by Guelph. Being eliminated midway through the post-season means a lengthy lay-off between games. Thirty-four days to be exact.

“We took nine days off and then got right back at it,” said Horvat, who used the time away from the game to relax and get healthy. “We started by going three days on and one day off and continued that until this week when we really started to ramp up and prepare for the Memorial Cup.”

But the break appears to have been a blessing for the 2013 Canucks first-rounder. He fell ill during their second round series against Guelph, and admitted that he started to feel fatigued. After suiting up at the Penticton Young Stars tournament, followed by six games with the Canucks during the NHL pre-season as well as representing Canada at the World Junior Championship, Horvat has played a lot of hockey this season.

“It’s a lot of hockey to play,” he said. “It definitely takes a toll on your body and that break off really helped not only me, but our whole team.”

Now feeling fresh, Horvat will try to bring a championship to London, which last won in 2005; that was also the last time they hosted the tournament. Growing up nearby in Rodney, Ontario, Horvat attended a lot of Knights games and fondly remembers that 2005 championship team.

“I used to watch that team all the time,” he said. “Growing up we used to have season tickets. I remember watching Corey Perry, Dave Bolland and Rob Schremp on that team. To watch them play and win a Memorial Cup is something I have always wanted. Our fans are unbelievable. If we can bring them another Memorial Cup, it will be special.”