The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

They should do a rookie defenseman and rookie forward award.  It's unfortunate Hutton's rookie year is the same as McDavid and Eichel.

Just being in the same conversation as those 2 for the Calder is already a great accomplishment for any rookie. Especially a 5th round pick Dman.

Bhutt should have no problem putting on a few extra pounds of muscle without affecting his speed too much. Karlsson is a couple inches shorter and a few pounds heavier but he can still fly. One of Hutton's main weaknesses is getting beat along the boards. Other than that, he has surpassed everybody's expectations by a mile. 

Jeff Paterson @patersonjeff 14m14 minutes ago

#Canucks Hutton on rookie life in #NHL: 'I was battling with Getzlaf in front & then I got to bench and was like 'oh shit that was Getzlaf.'

He's such a likable guy! Just his interviews when he just can't wipe that smile off his face, very endearing.

His play has been endearing as well, I can't help but love this kid!

• Upvote 3

He's such a likable guy! Just his interviews when he just can't wipe that smile off his face, very endearing.

His play has been endearing as well, I can't help but love this kid!

Yeah, his manner and personality have been such a pleasant surprise and a real bonus. I was so psyched about Hutton when I was just watching video clips of his college games and reading the occasional article. Now that he's finally here and we're really getting to see what he has to offer, on and off the ice, I'm liking him even more (which didn't seem possible given how high I was on this kid).

Obviously his contributions on the ice are of the highest value, but it's been a nice bonus to add such a likeable and clearly good-natured person to this organization. Kinda fills some of that Eddie Lack void (although Hutton will still need to up his Twitter game).

He's just remarkable to watch. Those pin point laser like stretch passes just make me giddy. He should have more points if we actually had forwards that could convert chances.  

More recognition of Hutton by NHL.com :

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=784325&navid=DL|NHL|home

Super 16: Naming the All-Calder team

Ben Hutton - Colton Parayko

Griffin Reinhart - Trevor van Riemsdyk

Noah Hanifin - Klas Dahlbeck

"

Parayko (St. Louis Blues) and Hutton (Vancouver Canucks) have had surprisingly strong starts. Neither was expected to be on an NHL roster at this point in the season, but both had strong training camps and that solid play has extended into the regular season.

Hutton entered play Thursday averaging 18:49 of ice time through six games. Parayko is averaging 18:35 in seven games on a defense that also features Alex Pietrangelo and Jay Bouwmeester. He was elevated to a top-four role because of an injury to Kevin Shattenkirk. Both have three points."

Edited by Robongo
  • Upvote 3

It's too early to say he's the best in this year group, But Hanifin, Parayko (he has a cannon of a shot) Reinhart and TVR would be his competition. A dark horse who you may see this year is Pulock but he's in the AHL right now

He's played better then all those guys so far is what I am saying

Jeff Paterson @patersonjeff 14m14 minutes ago

#Canucks Hutton on rookie life in #NHL: 'I was battling with Getzlaf in front & then I got to bench and was like 'oh $&!# that was Getzlaf.'

His confidence and skill is such a great addition.  The pre game interview before WSH he was clearly crawling out of his skin with anticipation to play against Ovie n  his crew.   Hutton is a gem !

• Upvote 1

His confidence and skill is such a great addition.  The pre game interview before WSH he was clearly crawling out of his skin with anticipation to play against Ovie n  his crew.   Hutton is a gem !

Hutton is an absolute out of left field stud. No one, not even Gillis who drafted him could have predicted such an acute finesse in a rookie's skating and game savvy. And the confidence with the puck.

T1D written all over that kid.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 1

Has played the most minutes out of all the rookies in the leaugue

Awesome! Nice stat hatekid!

He's the only guy on the defense that's made Sbisa look better. Against LA, they moved the puck well and Sbisa was playing a pretty good physical game. There will be struggles for them along the way but that pairing (surprisingly!) works.

Its been suggested for some time by some ( I have anyway) that Sbisa ain't that bad. I guess you could include guys like Willie & Benning... :rolleyes: That he does a lot of things right. He can hit, has close out speed, quickness, a shot, battles well. He just needed to be on a pairing where Luca will not be relied on as the primary guy handling the puck.

Hutton lets Sbisa play to strengths he does have & not be forced to do things he's not great at. Like skate while handling the puck.

max domi might beat them all

Great crew of rookies this year! Dylan Larkin, Parayko, Oscar Lindberg is a nice surprise for the Rags, EHLERS, Duclair, Donskoi is hurt but looks like he will play with Thornton, Martinook, Reinhart, and yes Domi plus our own Hutton...

Will Jake or McCann creep into the conversation? Did I miss anyone?

Panarin & who is the vet 30 year old Russian that's out there but technically a rookie?

• Upvote 1

Awesome! Nice stat hatekid!

Its been suggested for some time by some ( I have anyway) that Sbisa ain't that bad. I guess you could include guys like Willie & Benning... :rolleyes: That he does a lot of things right. He can hit, has close out speed, quickness, a shot, battles well. He just needed to be on a pairing where Luca will not be relied on as the primary guy handling the puck.

Hutton lets Sbisa play to strengths he does have & not be forced to do things he's not great at. Like skate while handling the puck.

Great crew of rookies this year! Dylan Larkin, Parayko, Oscar Lindberg is a nice surprise for the Rags, EHLERS, Duclair, Donskoi is hurt but looks like he will play with Thornton, Martinook, Reinhart, and yes Domi plus our own Hutton...

Will Jake or McCann creep into the conversation? Did I miss anyone?

Panarin & who is the vet 30 year old Russian that's out there but technically a rookie?

Panarin  is 23