The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

1 hour ago, Stierlitz said:

Ben Kuzma @benkuzma 12h12 hours ago

Thinking fatigue. Game 64. Never played more than 39 in college.

Yeah I was at the game yesterday and Hutton definitely looked tired...

Makes sense. He had flashes of brilliance and flashes of ... well... not brilliance, yesterday.

It's nice that he always has such a positive outlook on things, with the weight of responsibility that he's carrying in his first pro year it's hard to imagine someone who gets frustrated a little easier dealing with such a scenario.

• Upvote 1

Ben Hutton throwback: 

http://www.recorder.ca/2015/02/07/hutton-up-for-the-hobey

Ben Hutton doesn't really have an explanation as to why he's been nominated for the Hobey Baker Award for the second time in a row.

“I don't know how to answer that one there,” said Hutton, a junior with the University of Maine Black Bears. “I don't want to sound cocky or anything.”

The reply shows his character and it's statements like that why the Prescott-born defenceman was picked by coaches from across the NCAA Division I to be up for college hockey's top individual prize for the second year in a row.

He's one of 62 U.S. university players up for the award and online voting chooses who makes the cut to the top 10.

To show how tough it is to be picked, Jack Eichel – who is projected to be the second pick in the 2015 NHL Draft – isn't even in the top-20 for votes.

Hutton is closer to the backend of the voting tally, but he's not sitting by the computer regularly checking what place he's in.

“I try not to think about it, I just head to the rink with the team and play,” Hutton said. “Since the first day, I haven't checked (the vote count).”

On top of his character, Hutton has skill too. He has the most goals (5) and assists (9) of any defenceman on the Black Bears.

On Friday people were given a chance to check out Hutton's style of play with Maine taking on the Notre Dame Fighting Irish televised on TSN2.

TSN announced in October they would broadcast 37 NCAA games this season. Maine has been on the TV schedule twice.

“Every one around the league is getting recognized more, which always cool,” Hutton said. “I get all my buddies to tune in and they get to watch us play.”

3 hours ago, MedicineHatCanuck said:

It seems like Hutton has hit a plateau. He doesn't seem as involved in the offensive zone as he was a couple of weeks ago. 

First year in the NHL and he has been basically playing 1st line min lately.  Probably just starting to slow down.  Shouldn't expect him to be a machine. 

Next year :towel:

• 3 weeks later...

Somewhere at the start of this Topic, after Hutton played his first prospects game, I said he looked like a "man among boys out there".

...I was not surprised by his play this year at all, he would have done better with a solid partner all year long, hope that's Tryamkin or Tanev next year.

It will be great to see him on  team Canada, he will probably play with Tanev...hope it works like it was when they paired on the Canucks.

18 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

It will be great to see him on  team Canada, he will probably play with Tanev...hope it works like it was when they paired on the Canucks.

Good point, hopefully you are right. Canada plays first game against USA on May 6.