The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

Does anyone know why Huttons playing such low minutes in IIHF? He hasnt had a shift in the last 3 periods including this first period vs Slovakia.

Is it cause hes a rookie and positioned at the 7th position by default or some other reason. Either way it would be nice to watch him play a bit more

8 hours ago, agent007 said:

Does anyone know why Huttons playing such low minutes in IIHF? He hasnt had a shift in the last 3 periods including this first period vs Slovakia.

Is it cause hes a rookie and positioned at the 7th position by default or some other reason. Either way it would be nice to watch him play a bit more

Hutton has been a steal for us but he still isn't a high end defensive "prospect".

He has simply been outplayed by Matheson for the final spot and not only that, he is no longer the 7th DMan, hes 8th because Ryan Ellis has been added to the roster :( . In his defense though, Matheson has turned heads big time...gonna be a stud and he wasn't given enough TOI to adjust his game before being benched.

3 minutes ago, Dannyboy22 said:

Hutton has been a steal for us but he still isn't a high end defensive "prospect".

He has simply been outplayed by Matheson for the final spot and not only that, he is no longer the 7th DMan, hes 8th because Ryan Ellis has been added to the roster :( . In his defense though, Matheson has turned heads big time...gonna be a stud and he wasn't given enough TOI to adjust his game before being benched.

I think most people were surprised that Hutton was even invited.

We definitely shouldn't be surprised that he's been pushed down to the number 8 spot.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I think most people were surprised that Hutton was even invited.

We definitely shouldn't be surprised that he's been pushed down to the number 8 spot.

Wow. Way to be an old  Muppet in the balcony.

3 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Wow. Way to be an old  Muppet in the balcony.

You realize how many good Canadian defensemen there are right?

It's an honor for him to even be considered. I'm sure he's the last person to complain about being there. Even if it's in a depth role.

Friends with Marchand? Wow CDC is going to EXPLODE!!!

Honestly though, even though I hate Marchand as a player its not right to personally attack him. He probably is a great guy off the ice, but on the ice he is the Bruins tough guy. If he was on our team we would love him but he plays for the team that ripped out our hearts in 2011 so we hate him. We have our own Marchand in Burrows, we love him but the rest of the league hates him lol. 

Its good that Hutton put that in his blog. Hutton is going to be a very good player for us in the future. Man i cant wait until next year to see how much better our young guys get!

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Fakename70 said:

Looking forward to seeing him paired with Gudbranson next season. 

I'm looking forward to see if he can put up some offence, we are desperately needing someone on the power play.  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, mpt said:

I'm looking forward to see if he can put up some offence, we are desperately needing someone on the power play.  

The 24 A's was a good starting point. Gotta work on that +/-, though. For those who say that stat is overrated, I point to Cam Fowler. His was awful up until 2 seasons ago. He's regressed since then, but he's still a more complete player capable of being responsible in his own zone. If only I were as excited about Tanev's ability on offence as I am about Hutton's. 

6 minutes ago, mpt said:

Edler Gudbranson

Hutton Tanev

Might be a good pairing

Neither Hutton nor Tanev belong in the top half of the D corps next season. If they're serious about developing one and hoping for playoff-level performance from the other, that is. Gudbranson is exactly the type of young RH D this team --- Hutton, specifically --- needed for the bottom 4. If either one are going to be in the top half, I'd rather they develop their way up rather than thrown to the wolves because there's no one else worthy of the spot. That's how Tanev got there. 

Edited by Fakename70

19 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

Neither Hutton nor Tanev belong in the top half of the D corps next season. If they're serious about developing one and hoping for playoff-level performance from the other, that is. Gudbranson is exactly the type of young RH D this team --- Hutton, specifically --- needed for the bottom 4. If either one are going to be in the top half, I'd rather they develop their way up rather than thrown to the wolves because there's no one else worthy of the spot. That's how Tanev got there. 

Do you mean Tryamkin?

3 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

He's not projected as a top-4 defenceman next season, is he? This team is in trouble if he is. 

You said Hutton nor Tanev should be in the top half of the d corps this season...I assumed you must have meant Tryamkin because I can't see how Tanev isn't on our top two pairings.

Tanev is a third pairing d man to you?

Edited by Cowichan Canuck

15 hours ago, Cowichan Canuck said:

You said Hutton nor Tanev should be in the top half of the d corps this season...I assumed you must have meant Tryamkin because I can't see how Tanev isn't on our top two pairings.

Tanev is a third pairing d man to you?

No, I meant Tanev. Benning needs to upgrade the top-4 on the right side to someone who isn't invisible on offence. And, someone more physical opposite Edler for the #1 pairing would be great, too. I think Tanev's a prototypical 3rd pairing player at this stage of his career and doesn't belong in the top-4 for a team that plans to make the playoffs. He's solid, sure, but ultimately not really anything special compared to other top-4 RH defencemen in the conference. Again, key word: upgrade. There's enough young(er) bottom-4 depth to replace him. 

3 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

No, I meant Tanev. Benning needs to upgrade the top-4 on the right side to someone who isn't invisible on offence. And, someone more physical opposite Edler for the #1 pairing would be great, too. I think Tanev's a prototypical 3rd pairing player at this stage of his career and doesn't belong in the top-4 for a team that plans to make the playoffs. He's solid, sure, but ultimately not really anything special compared to other top-4 RH defencemen in the conference. Again, key word: upgrade. There's enough young(er) bottom-4 depth to replace him. 

what

Trade Edler if you don't want someone invisible on offense. Tanev and Gudbranson are shutdown guys, and you don't play shutdown guys against the bottom 6. Fricks sakes, Tanev was a first-pairing on gold-winning Team Canada!

He's the only thing keeping this defense together last season, other than Hutton. If you want someone physical by Edler, put Gudbranson with him.