The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Canucks recently listed him at 207 and Wikipedia at 208.

29 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Sounds and looks about right to me. I some video of him back home during a workout. He was pretty thick through the torso which made me wonder if he was adding muscle or just enjoying some beer. Don't get me wrong the pics were not showing any flab. Even at 205 with his speed he will be a force.

WOW 207 lbs and still skating like that! Knowing that, he could probably comfortably play at 210-215 lbs and not lose a step.

Ok fair, but I think you're kinda re-making my point.

Prior to training camp we had an exciting overage prospect that was going to play in Utica...he'd possibly get a couple of call-ups and maybe eventually work his way onto the team...

Then in reality he became an overnight success, I can't even imagine how bad our D would have been last season if he hadn't come from out of nowhere.

And now it looks like he's determined to become even more important!

Bringing in Gudbranson to Vancouver is going to be one of those turning-point sort of trades in the young team and franchise. The impact it'll have on Hutton is direct, but also the trickle down effect of having a true leader to bring guys like Stecher and Juolevi in will be massive. 

We had to make a risky trade like this and JB did it. It takes a lot of things to turn a 5th round pick into an NHL star, sure he got great opportunities and has always had decent skill, and been developed perfectly in junior, but now JB has taken the next step to get him a mentor and full-time partner and guide which is what turns those borderline-decent top-4 young defencemen into stars. Look around the league, all the good young defencemen played with solid calming influence veterans, and Gudbranson is the perfect guy for Hutton.

3 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Expecting a big year from Hutton been looking real good in preseason, poised ,faster, bigger more confident

I definitely agree. To me, he and Baertschi are the biggest X-factors and it looks like Hutton at least is poised to improve even more this year. I can't help but dream of a top two offensive defenseman.

On October 4, 2016 at 4:54 AM, ajhockey said:

I definitely agree. To me, he and Baertschi are the biggest X-factors and it looks like Hutton at least is poised to improve even more this year. I can't help but dream of a top two offensive defenseman.

Agreed, but I would also throw Rodin into that lot. We don't really have high expectations but based on how Zuccarello and Soderberg played their first year in the NHL after dominating the SEL, I wouldn't be that surprised to see Rodin pot 45 points and finish 4th or 5th in team scoring. 

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Agreed, but I would also through Rodin into that lot. We don't really have high expectations but based on how Zuccarello and Soderberg played their first year in the NHL after dominating the SEL, I wouldn't be that surprised to see Rodin pot 45 points and finish 4th or 5th in team scoring. 

Yeah, Rodin has definitely surprised me with how well he's fit into the NHL game.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to really see a lot of potential in Hutton. I think he could be a top two if his development continues. His passing is great, skating is much improved. He's smart with the puck, and best of all he has a great wristshot and his slapshot looks really hard. I never thought I'd say this, but I'd almost rather Hutton be on that first line power play over Edler or Sutter. In time, I guess.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sedin Brothers said:

I'm starting to really see a lot of potential in Hutton. I think he could be a top two if his development continues. His passing is great, skating is much improved. He's smart with the puck, and best of all he has a great wristshot and his slapshot looks really hard. I never thought I'd say this, but I'd almost rather Hutton be on that first line power play over Edler or Sutter. In time, I guess.

I think it's inevitable that Hutton will eventually replace Edler on the point on the pp. 

9 hours ago, Sedin Brothers said:

Hutton has been good since game 1. I like his obvious increase in weight with no loss of speed. Edler cannot be discounted. Larsen had a outstanding game last night as well.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Starting to notice that Hutton is actually a brutal defender.  Not what I was hoping to see from him this year but hopefully he can turn it around.  

Hutton is trying to hard to make an impact. Sophomore jinx? I like the increased weight but it might take awhile for him to adjust. Not worried.