The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is 6'7 Logan Brown the Jim Benning Sleeper pick ?

Positive Canuck

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I wonder, considering just how big of a team JB is building, if there is any chance he does trade down a bit and select Logan Brown?

The kid is another monster.   

How far down can you trade and still get him ? 7 , I think he will be top 10

5 minutes ago, Dragonass said:

How far down can you trade and still get him ? 7 , I think he will be top 10

Calgary might take him at six.  They need a big centre to compliment Monahan.  I say if we traded to 7 (swapping picks with Arizona so they get Tkatchuk- if he's still there at 5) Brown might be a Flame.

46 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do we trust JB?  His picks have been real good over these two years.  If he wants Brown, JB will certainly trade down.

Trading down from #5 and higher is very rare..You would need balls of steel to do it....As good as JB has been in drafting in the past,trading down,and screwing up this pick would definitely land him the pink slip..

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Calgary might take him at six.  They need a big centre to compliment Monahan.  I say if we traded to 7 (swapping picks with Arizona so they get Tkatchuk- if he's still there at 5) Brown might be a Flame.

so the top 6 would be all forwards and Ari gets there top pick of D-men they will like that. Safer to stay as is, even if Hanzal was in play.

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I wonder, considering just how big of a team JB is building, if there is any chance he does trade down a bit and select Logan Brown?

The kid is another monster.   

I don't think so, Tkachuk and Dubois are both very good. There aren't teams with 2 1st round picks that would let them go to trade down.  I don't think he'd be available at the 13 or 14 picks with the Hurricaines or Bruins

4 minutes ago, mpt said:

I don't think so, Tkachuk and Dubois are both very good. There aren't teams with 2 1st round picks that would let them go to trade down.  I don't think he'd be available at the 13 or 14 picks with the Hurricaines or Bruins

Arizona, where Tkatchuk is from, might trade 7+20 for him.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Do we trust JB?  His picks have been real good over these two years.  If he wants Brown, JB will certainly trade down.

I trust JB when drafting talent that scouts have missed or underrated - a lot of our recent picks have trended up since being drafted showing that he can see talent others can't.

With that said, I get concerned about Benning putting too much emphasis on meat and potatoes. Teams need to be able to score, not just throw their weight around and his trend of dumping our offensively gifted prospects in favor of more meat and potatoes concerns me. 

Overall I trust Benning's drafting, but I really hope he balances our line-up with skill, speed and size opposed to just having four checking lines.

1 minute ago, Fateless said:

I trust JB when drafting talent that scouts have missed or underrated - a lot of our recent picks have trended up since being drafted showing that he can see talent others can't.

With that said, I get concerned about Benning putting too much emphasis on meat and potatoes. Teams need to be able to score, not just throw their weight around and his trend of dumping our offensively gifted prospects in favor of more meat and potatoes concerns me. 

Overall I trust Benning's drafting, but I really hope he balances our line-up with skill, speed and size opposed to just having four checking lines.

Yes sometimes you need more than 200 foot players

6 minutes ago, Fateless said:

Maybe JB has his eye on Jost, and not Brown?

I don't see anything but he's big. He's not a power forward or tough...his skills aren't that great.

for those who want this Brown kid don't remember all those great stupid Canuck Big 1st round pick forwards

Jim Sandlax 4th overall

Alek Stojanov 7th overall did get traded for Markus Naslund tho

Shawn Antoski 18th overall 

If Canuck get anything big body player in the draft I'd rather get the other Logan kid ....Logan Stanley at lest he's a Dman.

2 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

I don't see anything but he's big. He's not a power forward or tough...his skills aren't that great.

for those who want this Brown kid don't remember all those great stupid Canuck Big 1st round pick forwards

Jim Sandlax 4th overall

Alek Stojanov 7th overall did get traded for Markus Naslund tho

Shawn Antoski 18th overall 

If Canuck get anything big body player in the draft I'd rather get the other Logan kid ....Logan Stanley at lest he's a Dman.

is Logan Stanley gangster ?

I would love to see Canucks go full cartoon and build with multiple pairs of 6'7 6'8 Defenders lololol.
Take it to the next level.

Just now, Alflives said:

Maybe JB has his eye on Jost, and not Brown?

@ 7 one of them is still there but 5 is soo safe . 7 and 20 does sound good though at 20 Benning could find a great prospect. that trade would have to be done after the 4th pick is made and Tkatchuk is still available but would be interesting.

12 minutes ago, Dragonass said:

@ 7 one of them is still there but 5 is soo safe . 7 and 20 does sound good though at 20 Benning could find a great prospect. that trade would have to be done after the 4th pick is made and Tkatchuk is still available but would be interesting.

At 7 we get Brown or Jost.  At 20 we get Fabbro or Stanley.  That looks pretty good?

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

We are a retooling/rebuilding tea with a complete new management crew for when Elder signed. If the deal improves the franchise more than keeping Edler, well make the trade, this is a business.  Treat players with respect and that means being honest. 

Edler might want to leave for the right team, you won't know unless you ask him. 

Exactly...if we have the opportunity to pick Dubious or Tkachuk at 5 AND get say Mtl's 9th overall pick, and possibly get Brown or another quality prospect we need to do it..with the addition of Gudbranson and resign Hamhuis or another UFA we'd be fine..

I honestly can't figure out why people think trading Edler cuz Canucks could resign Hamhuis makes ANY sense.

The guy has had 3 very serious injuries in the past 5 seasons, 2 in the last 2.

There's not even anything to suggest he can still be a top pairing guy.

Anyone remember how bad he was to start the season? Sure, he looked good after coming back from the face injury but he himself even said he appreciates how players from other teams respected his injury on the ice.

Meaning they were going easy on him.

That's not even to mention the obvious. The Canucks just don't need Hamhuis, Tanev, Gudbranson, Sbisa, Tryamkin, and Pedan to all play a shutdown role.

Where's the offense going to come from.

And, of course, we can state the obvious in how big of a contradiction it would make to everything if the Canucks shipped out a 29 year old who will put up points so they could resign a 34 year old who probably won't.

And the age is gonna be a problem sooner than later. It's not like Hamhuis is exactly a league iron man.

None of that makes sense. Respect the guy but he's not a top pairing guy for Vancouver.

I liked Logan's combine results. I also liked Chychrun's.

IMO if Thachuk is unavailable @ 5th, we will either draft a Dman or find a way to move down to draft a Dman.

I do not want Dubois and I certainly don't think we should go off-script and draft a forward ranked after the 3 Dmen we are targeting.

I do not see us trading down to sign a forward, unless the return involves a D prospect. Our D pool is super weak and Pedan is nothing more than an injury plug.

If we trade Edler it will absolutely be for another D. Like Barrie's rights or something involving Shattenkirk, Trouba, etc.

I think our real sleeper pick will be Tyler Benson. Mid-season he was ranked in the lower 1st then dropped to 3/4. He did very well on the fitness testing and even Don Cherry gave him a thumbs up. If he's available @ our third I would be so damn happy to get this guy.

38 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

I honestly can't figure out why people think trading Edler cuz Canucks could resign Hamhuis makes ANY sense.

The guy has had 3 very serious injuries in the past 5 seasons, 2 in the last 2.

There's not even anything to suggest he can still be a top pairing guy.

Anyone remember how bad he was to start the season? Sure, he looked good after coming back from the face injury but he himself even said he appreciates how players from other teams respected his injury on the ice.

Meaning they were going easy on him.

That's not even to mention the obvious. The Canucks just don't need Hamhuis, Tanev, Gudbranson, Sbisa, Tryamkin, and Pedan to all play a shutdown role.

Where's the offense going to come from.

And, of course, we can state the obvious in how big of a contradiction it would make to everything if the Canucks shipped out a 29 year old who will put up points so they could resign a 34 year old who probably won't.

And the age is gonna be a problem sooner than later. It's not like Hamhuis is exactly a league iron man.

None of that makes sense. Respect the guy but he's not a top pairing guy for Vancouver.

Well said, but remember first, its a business and we wouldn't just sign a 34 yr old guy we would also get a good return from Elder which could be the Habs 9th maybe. Just think for a minute and remember we are rebuilding so to have 2 top 10 picks this draft year would be awsome.

Archived