The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is 6'7 Logan Brown the Jim Benning Sleeper pick ?

Positive Canuck

Personally i would love to see Benning draft this kid but NOT with 5th overall.

Praying Benning can somehow trade for an additional first rounder and draft this kid as well as one of Tkachuk/Dubois .

Seems like he could go at 7-10 Arizona,Buffalo,Montreal etc...

Does Edler  to the Habs get it done ? 

Imagine the Habs signing Logan Brown ? with Mike McCarron ? my god. Monster C's.

Somehow i hope we can trade ourselves into another first rounder so we can draft this kid.

The fact that this scout thinks he could go in the TOP 5 REEKS of a Benning dark horse.

I wouldn't be mad. But thats a huge role of the dice imo.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/10-takeaways-2016-nhl-scouting-combine/

2. I thought Logan Brown might be a climber after the World U18 Championship, and that seems like a majority opinion at the combine. 

Said one veteran scout, “There’s a premium for big centres and I think there’s a shot he goes in the top five. He was great at U18s and in the second half of the season. He’s almost 6-foot-7 and he might be that by the end of the summer. In his interview he told us that he doesn’t know if he has stopped growing yet. He was a good interview, funny kid, not really like his father (former NHLer Jeff Brown), who was not the most social guy.” 

The younger Brown is “tall” but not “big” at this point. He’d be two full years in junior beyond his draft year. He’ll need to pad his frame and right now it looks like the metabolism to put on 25 pounds is going to take a while.

Lol, there was a thread like this a month ago, though it doesn't seem like many have changed their opinions. 

Brown is a late riser, he had an amazing second half and a strong u18. He's agile for a big guy, and clearly hasn't stopped growing. The comparisons to Boyle and Gaustad are decidedly inaccurate. While he is big, his game is more of excellent vision, passing, and playmaking than that of a big powerforward. Think more Thornton than Boyle. l

I defended Brown in the last thread as well. Big centres are a premium in this league. Most scouts feel he could be a 1C one day, but I don't think any have him scheduled to play next season, which might be his only negative. 

He has passing, vision, an excellent frame and he can actually skate well for a big man. If we take him we'll have to be patient but if he gets to that 1C role he's well worth it. 

The OP isn't suggesting Brown be picked at #5. 

Regarding the Edler proposal, with the potential departure of Hammer, you can't lose Edler as well. 

One reason guys like Edler and Sbisa become turnover machines is because they are asked to play a role that is above where they belong. This is not the fault of the dman, this is the fault of management for failing to address such a critical position. 

I don't see any trades happening unless it is pick-for-picks. Teams aren't going to give up their first rounder without being able to recoup a first rounder, IMO.

I'm starting to get bored/tired of people thinking size is all that matters in this league. Yes it is important and is integral to a team, but there are many small to average sized players that tear up this league. Would much rather we look to draft a complete player than someone that is trending high simply due to size. I have no desire to see the Canucks draft anyone other than Tkachuk or Dubois with the #5 pick, and even if they trade down into the 7-9 range, I'd rather see them pick up Juo or Chy before a forward.

1 minute ago, Fateless said:

I'm starting to get bored/tired of people thinking size is all that matters in this league. Yes it is important and is integral to a team, but there are many small to average sized players that tear up this league. Would much rather we look to draft a complete player than someone that is trending high simply due to size. I have no desire to see the Canucks draft anyone other than Tkachuk or Dubois with the #5 pick, and even if they trade down into the 7-9 range, I'd rather see them pick up Juo or Chy before a forward.

i agree with keeping 5 because both players, Dubois /Tkachuk fit the bigger and nastier team model Benning is building. :)

Archived