The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016-17 Utica Comets Thread

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

What is it with demko when Bachman is backing him up. Plays like trash.

He has made many fine stops in this game, have not seen a shots on goal total this game, on the feed I'm using, but Demko is not the problem this game imo.

another heartbreaking loss for the Comets as they let the 3rd get away from them and the Crunch dominated. 7-2 Crunch is the final. Crunch outshot the Comets 32-25. Carcone tied the score up in the 1st after Billins shot went off Rendulic's leg and he was able to carry the puck behind the net and bank it off McKenna. Cassels scored in the 2nd after a pretty play by Hamilton to get the puck by the Crunch defenceman, get a shot away and Cassels was able to bang it home. the 3rd was a nightmare and one to forget as the Crunch piled tons of pressure and are a different team when they get all their regulars back from the lightning. Demko was not the problem in this game as he made 25 saves and it was more due to poor defensive coverage as the Crunch were able to come into our own zone and do whatever they wanted. Jake got a couple shots off today and got a game misconduct late for getting into  it with Taormina. he had a couple opportunities including a rush down the LW where I believe he should next season but McKenna was able to deny his attempt. Goldy looked rather invisible but generated opportunities for others. he looked great along the half boards 5 v 5 and on the PP. Comets are going to need him to heat up real quick as the final two games are must win. Comets need to win out vs Hartford and the Crunch once again to have any shot making the playoffs while Albany lose their final 2. its going to go right down to the wire and hope that they get their defensive issues sorted out before it's too late. 

1 hour ago, gurn said:

He has made many fine stops in this game, have not seen a shots on goal total this game, on the feed I'm using, but Demko is not the problem this game imo.

Back door after back door after back door.  Demko was hung out to dry as the Comets could not complete against a far superior team.  The starting 5 for the Crunch had 4 players that were in the NHL 4 days ago and a total of 7 that were sent down when Tampa Bay's season ended.  This was the result that I fully expected to see tonight.

Two games left Friday against the worst team in the league and then the Crunch again on Saturday. 

Man... I couldn't believe the score when I saw it. I checked in when it was 1-1 and then an hour and a bit later saw it was 6-2 with a couple minutes left. Even with the losses lately I didn't expect a score this lopsided.

Its definitely possible St. John's can lose both games to Toronto, but Utica winning both of theirs is probably the taller order to ask for right now. Hartford, sure, but a rematch with Syracuse after that... its not over by any means but a loss like this sure makes it feel that way. They can afford for St John's to get one point since Utica would have the edge in ROW in case of a tie but that's a lot of "ifs".

11 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Man... I couldn't believe the score when I saw it. I checked in when it was 1-1 and then an hour and a bit later saw it was 6-2 with a couple minutes left. Even with the losses lately I didn't expect a score this lopsided.

Its definitely possible St. John's can lose both games to Toronto, but Utica winning both of theirs is probably the taller order to ask for right now. Hartford, sure, but a rematch with Syracuse after that... its not over by any means but a loss like this sure makes it feel that way. They can afford for St John's to get one point since Utica would have the edge in ROW in case of a tie but that's a lot of "ifs".

I fully expect St John's to take care of business and not back their way into the playoffs.  They will win one if not both games against the Marlies.  Hopefully Green will now give MacEwen and even French a look. 

3 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

I fully expect St John's to take care of business and not back their way into the playoffs.  They will win one if not both games against the Marlies.  Hopefully Green will now give MacEwen and even French a look. 

Yeah, I was hesitant before on MacEwen/French but there's really nothing to lose now since the current lineup can't get it done. Even if they do make the playoffs I can't see them doing anything in the first round, the way they're playing right now... its tough watching all that optimism from the winning streak in February/March just fizzle out.

Crunch goals were quality goals into yawning nets on quick cross ice passes and one timers.  A couple of poor back checks got us into a hole.  Archibald and Virtanen were creating things but not much else happening.  When we failed to capitalize on 4 minute high stick and even gave up a couple of good shots while on PP at end of 2d when it was 2-2 we really missed an opportunity.   

First two periods were fantastic quality hockey.  One of the best games I had ever seen at the Aud to that point.  

18 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

It would appear that Bachman will start today vs Hartford (at 4:00) and Demko will start tomorrow vs Syracuse. St. John's and Toronto drop the puck at 3:00 today.

Demko deserves a night off if not two.  He was abused in the third period Wednesday when the team was overwhelmed and left him hung out to dry.  It was the first time I've seen a visibly frustrated Thatcher Demko when he pulled the puck out of his net on one of the goals and throw it out to center ice. 

22 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Demko deserves a night off if not two.  He was abused in the third period Wednesday when the team was overwhelmed and left him hung out to dry.  It was the first time I've seen a visibly frustrated Thatcher Demko when he pulled the puck out of his net on one of the goals and throw it out to center ice. 

It definitely makes you wonder if a Demko-Bachman tandem would be the way to go in Utica next year. I know some people around here are fans of a Markstrom-Bachman duo in Vancouver next season and think Demko should be the #1 in Utica but overworking him isn't ideal. Garteig hasn't been terrible but I don't think he's at the level where he can reliably take pressure off of Demko when he needs a break... maybe the Canucks sign a veteran or re-sign Miller for a year and let Bachman support Demko with the Comets?

Archived