The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016-17 Utica Comets Thread

Comets win and stay alive in the playoff race! 5-4 the final, in a very wide open and back and forth game... tons of offensive chances for both teams and the Comets who've had trouble scoring lately come up with five goals, albeit against a cellar dweller in Hartford. Shots were 43-37 for Hartford as the Wolf Pack poured it on in the third with three powerplays as Utica got into some penalty trouble. Fantastic offensive efforts from Archibald, Valk, and Goldobin through 40 minutes although the team as a whole got buried a little in the third with the tilted ice. Pedan's goal was a massive one - made me jump out of my seat when it happened, it was just one of those plays where you could tell something special was going to happen.

Three stars: Archibald, Valk, Jensen. (Jensen had a fantastic game and was everywhere in the third period.)

It all comes down to tomorrow now. Toronto vs St John's, Utica vs Syracuse to decide their playoff fates.

1st      
4:00 UTI Michael Carcone (5) ASST: Alexandre Grenier (28), Mike Zalewski (13)

4:56 UTI Nikolay Goldobin (16) ASST: Curtis Valk (29), Darren Archibald (23)

12:43 HFD Dan Catenacci (9) ASST: None (PS)

17:03 HFD Ty Ronning (2) ASST: None

2nd      
4:00 UTI Nikolay Goldobin (17) ASST: Curtis Valk (30), Darren Archibald (24)

3rd      
2:30 UTI Darren Archibald (23) ASST: Jordan Subban (20), Colby Robak (29)

4:24 HFD Nicklas Jensen (31) ASST: Vince Pedrie (4), Taylor Beck (46) (PP)

6:55 UTI Andrey Pedan (5) ASST: None (SH)

16:53 HFD Nicklas Jensen (32) ASST: Taylor Beck (47), Vince Pedrie (5) (PP)

Just now, Ossi Vaananen said:

You gotta love that stat of being 24-0-1 when leading after 2. Green shuts it down.

Exciting game, and STJ lost. I think the comets need 1 more win to clinch. 

Doesn't STJ have to lose their game, and Utica win? 

Comets survive a late Hartford surge in the 3rd and edge the Wolf Pack 5-4. Shots are 43-39 Hartford. Bachman was huge in this game making 39 saves and kept the Comets ahead. stood on his head all night long. Archie, Valk, Goldy line was electric and was a offensive threat every time they were out on the ice. Carcone kicked the night off with a wrap around goal, finding the loose puck after Grenier was in the battle and was able to tuck it by Halverson. then Goldy doubled the lead early off a nice rush by Valk as he was able to find Goldy who stretched his stick out to tip it home.  Goldy gave the Comets the lead right back in the 2nd after a great play by Archie protecting the puck and able to somehow get a pass off for Valk who's quick attempt was stopped but Goldy buried the rebound. he looked great tonight and he was good positionally offensively especially on the PP where he seems to have found a home with McEneny at the point. he was solid defensively as well for the most part and backchecked when he needed to. Archibald doubled the lead early in the 3rd as Robak was able to find Subban across the ice who got a point shot off and Archie was well positioned for the tip. he had a great night of his own as well as he recorded his 3rd point of the night and scored a Comets single season record 23rd of the year. Pedan and McEneny looks like a keeper shutdown pairing as they kept the Wolf Pack forwards in check. they're a good PK pairing as they keep the puck in the outside and don't let the puck get anywhere near the slot and Bachman which was the case in Pedan's 5th goal of the year as he took the puck from the Wolf Pack forward and bursted out with the puck and sniped one glove side. couple defensive lapses late in the game but it's something the Comets can learn from and fix as they head into the final regular season game of the year vs the Crunch as their playoff hopes are on the line and they will have to hope that St. John's lose once again tomorrow. Go Comets! Playoff push continues

three stars

Archie, Valk and Jensen

Just now, Beary Sweet said:

Comets survive a late Hartford surge in the 3rd and edge the Wolf Pack 5-4. Shots are 43-39 Hartford. Bachman was huge in this game making 39 saves and kept the Comets ahead. stood on his head all night long. Archie, Valk, Goldy line was electric and was a offensive threat every time they were out on the ice. Carcone kicked the night off with a wrap around goal, finding the loose puck after Grenier was in the battle and was able to tuck it by Halverson. then Goldy doubled the lead early off a nice rush by Valk as he was able to find Goldy who stretched his stick out to tip it home.  Goldy gave the Comets the lead right back in the 2nd after a great play by Archie protecting the puck and able to somehow get a pass off for Valk who's quick attempt was stopped but Goldy buried the rebound. he looked great tonight and he was good positionally offensively especially on the PP where he seems to have found a home with McEneny at the point. he was solid defensively as well for the most part and backchecked when he needed to. Archibald doubled the lead early in the 3rd as Robak was able to find Subban across the ice who got a point shot off and Archie was well positioned for the tip. he had a great night of his own as well as he recorded his 3rd point of the night and scored a Comets single season record 23rd of the year. Pedan and McEneny looks like a keeper shutdown pairing as they kept the Wolf Pack forwards in check. they're a good PK pairing as they keep the puck in the outside and don't let the puck get anywhere near the slot and Bachman which was the case in Pedan's 5th goal of the year as he took the puck from the Wolf Pack forward and bursted out with the puck and sniped one glove side. couple defensive lapses late in the game but it's something the Comets can learn from and fix as they head into the final regular season game of the year vs the Crunch as their playoff hopes are on the line and they will have to hope that St. John's lose once again tomorrow. Go Comets! Playoff push continues

Anything good for virt tonight?

Wild one.  Entertaining hockey and Comets made an adventure out of it with penalties.  All 4 lines were working well together and damned if having Bancks back didn't help us.   Our D is just a little erratic at times but the 6 in there now are probably our best 6.  

Goldobin is one of those guys that seems to pop up out of the ice at the right time.  He is going to be a fun guy to watch in a couple of years.  I selfishly hope they send him to Utica next year for some seasoning but I don't think that is happening.  

Cant make it to Syracuse tomorrow night.  Big turnout from Utica I am sure.  These teams have played each other an awful lot.  

Go Marlboroughs! 

18 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

He's been like that for years, looks like a star in the AHL, disappears at the NHL level.

He showed flashes of it in Chicago/Utica, but not to this extent or level of consistency. I'd still be surprised if he makes it in the NHL though.

18 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I do find our ahl system has not played to our prospect strengths  (other than grenier). Even if you look at Kenins had 12 pts in 36 games with utica.  Had 12 pts in 30 games with Vancouver. 

Horvat 0 pts in 10 games. 

Stecher 1 assist in 4 games.

It's almost like we have no idea with what we have with that club. Kind of frustrating when grenier and Archie are like ahl all stars but can't do a thing at the nhl level.   

In fairness to Horvat, he was fresh out of junior on a conditioning stint and I think he only played like 4 or 5. Kenins was such a weird case though, he went from hitting everything in sight and just fell flat on his face in training camp the next year.

I think part of it definitely is the system that Utica's had to play, they've always been a low scoring team and a lot of that is personnel related. Our terrible drafting (partially at the expense of winning) left us with a pretty barren cupboard from the Gillis era and when you have a shallow forward pool, they need to be supported properly. You look at say, the Marlies roster and its stocked full of young talent... since we haven't accumulated that level of talent yet then you gotta throw in a few veterans of the Chaput/Megna type on the team to help set them up. I really hope Linden/Benning look at that for next season and don't just let our prospects flounder in the minors trying to figure it out on their own.

If Utica wins tomorrow and St. John's lose, OT or otherwise, Utica is in.  St. John's loss in OT results in tie in points but we will have one more ROW.  

If Utica loses in OT and St. John's in regulation both teams have 80 points and identical records.  Not sure what happens there, does Utica have better head to head I guess?     

here is tie breaker for two teams 

Between two teams:
a) percentage of games won (excluding shootout wins)
B) points in season series between teams
c) goal differential
d) goals scored in season series between teams
e) intra-conference points percentage

I see we have 33 ROW and St. John's 32.  So Utica goes in

4 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

He showed flashes of it in Chicago/Utica, but not to this extent or level of consistency. I'd still be surprised if he makes it in the NHL though.

In fairness to Horvat, he was fresh out of junior on a conditioning stint and I think he only played like 4 or 5. Kenins was such a weird case though, he went from hitting everything in sight and just fell flat on his face in training camp the next year.

I think part of it definitely is the system that Utica's had to play, they've always been a low scoring team and a lot of that is personnel related. Our terrible drafting (partially at the expense of winning) left us with a pretty barren cupboard from the Gillis era and when you have a shallow forward pool, they need to be supported properly. You look at say, the Marlies roster and its stocked full of young talent... since we haven't accumulated that level of talent yet then you gotta throw in a few veterans of the Chaput/Megna type on the team to help set them up. I really hope Linden/Benning look at that for next season and don't just let our prospects flounder in the minors trying to figure it out on their own.

Sorry I thought it was 10 games but you're right only 5. It's not to knockutica at all. They have to do what they have to do to win. It's just odd to see our best players never have more than 25 goals and 50 pts while nick &^@#ing Jensen now has 32 lol.

9 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Anything good for virt tonight?

he was quite relentless out there tonight. he battled hard for the puck along the boards. not only that but he also forechecked and backchecked very well. didn't record any shots but his line with Cassels, LaBate was more of a shutdown line for Green tonight as he used them for defensive purposes. he laid the body out there also so that was encouraging. even though he isn't developing into the dynamic player we all want him to be, he's a solid 200' player that I believe when given opportunity next season with the Canucks if he has a good training camp will do well as a 3rd or 4th line player. still, even though we wanted more out of him, he's a clear upgrade over Megna and Chaput lol

18 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

he was quite relentless out there tonight. he battled hard for the puck along the boards. not only that but he also forechecked and backchecked very well. didn't record any shots but his line with Cassels, LaBate was more of a shutdown line for Green tonight as he used them for defensive purposes. he laid the body out there also so that was encouraging. even though he isn't developing into the dynamic player we all want him to be, he's a solid 200' player that I believe when given opportunity next season with the Canucks if he has a good training camp will do well as a 3rd or 4th line player. still, even though we wanted more out of him, he's a clear upgrade over Megna and Chaput lol

I'm fine with that.  These are positive signs. What I'd like to see from him now is a strong playoff performance.  Followed by him coming into camp in peak physical form. 

I just want the kid to &^@#ing try. If he get a Ronald Kenins out of him I'm okay with that.

15 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I'm fine with that.  These are positive signs. What I'd like to see from him now is a strong playoff performance.  Followed by him coming into camp in peak physical form. 

I just want the kid to &^@#ing try. If he get a Ronald Kenins out of him I'm okay with that.

You mean a Ronalds Kenins for just this season and playoff run right?

8 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

If he tops outhe as a 3rd line 30 pt banger that's an effective piece on a cup team. Think Wilson  Jenner khunackle

Well sure that I agree with, but there's a big difference between having Wilson or Jenner and a Ronalds Kenins which is what got me

Archived