The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016-17 Utica Comets Thread

5 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Things aren't about to get easier for the Comets... 2 of their last 3 games are vs Syracuse. Hopefully we hear the Goldobin/Bachman announcements soon.

And they had two other players sent down yesterday.  It is usually what happens when a NHL parent fails to make the playoffs unless your parent is Vancouver.  Yes I know about the injuries but this is the norm out of the current management in Vancouver and it differs from other NHL teams that place value on having their prospects playing meaningful games and playoff experience when the NHL team is done playing.  This is the second year in a row now in the post Henning AGM era that the Comets received no help after the NHL season ended.

4 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

And they had two other players sent down yesterday.  It is usually what happens when a NHL parent fails to make the playoffs unless your parent is Vancouver.  Yes I know about the injuries but this is the norm out of the current management in Vancouver and it differs from other NHL teams that place value on having their prospects playing meaningful games and playoff experience when the NHL team is done playing.  This is the second year in a row now in the post Henning AGM era that the Comets received no help after the NHL season ended.

Yeah, its bizarre. Not that there's nobody else to send down but more so the way the Canucks have handled Utica recently. Linden said in a recent interview that Megna was meant to anchor Utica but he was one of the first call-ups they made and never went back. Same with Chaput. Generally those types of players (the AHL vets) are the ones they should avoid calling up so they can "anchor" the farm team and you give a prospect a look instead... but a whole season later, now management views them both as full-time NHL players and Utica gets nothing. The first two years, guys like O'Reilly, Pelletier, DeFazio, Jeffrey/Conacher, etc never got called up except for a small handful of games here and there.

6 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Yeah, its bizarre. Not that there's nobody else to send down but more so the way the Canucks have handled Utica recently. Linden said in a recent interview that Megna was meant to anchor Utica but he was one of the first call-ups they made and never went back. Same with Chaput. Generally those types of players (the AHL vets) are the ones they should avoid calling up so they can "anchor" the farm team and you give a prospect a look instead... but a whole season later, now management views them both as full-time NHL players and Utica gets nothing. The first two years, guys like O'Reilly, Pelletier, DeFazio, Jeffrey/Conacher, etc never got called up except for a small handful of games here and there.

I really believe it boils down to the fact that there is no Assistant GM in Vancouver directly responsible for the AHL team.  When Henning and Gilman were let go it left a void that was never filled.  It doesn't look to me that the AHL team is part of the responsibility of John Weisbrod.   Pat Conacher is the Utica GM but he is here to oversee operations and find PTOs when needed but he doesn't get involved in signing depth players to NHL contracts.  

6 minutes ago, hatedkid666 said:

Hows the playoff situation looking?

Not good after back to back shutouts this weekend.  If they win all three games left and get some help that would be their best chance.  They could still make it by winning two out of three but that would require a lot of help.  Two of the three games are against a Syracuse team that just got 7 players from Tampa and I can't see us beating them twice plus a potential trap game against a weak Hartford team.

If you can't score you can't win and the Comets in two of the past three weekends scored only two real goals in three games twice.  Note they have been playing three game weekends for over a month now.

20 minutes ago, hatedkid666 said:

Hows the playoff situation looking?

Not great. 3 points back and probably need to win out, which will be tough, but combined with that there needs to be losses from the team they're chasing. They're chasing St. John's so losing to them yesterday was a pretty big blow. 

If St. John's loses 1 of their 2 remaining games, Albany lose 1 of their 3 remaining games, and Utica win all 3 that'd do it. 

Like UticaHockey just said.

2 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Not good after back to back shutouts this weekend.  If they win all three games left and get some help that would be their best chance.  They could still make it by winning two out of three but that would require a lot of help.  Two of the three games are against a Syracuse team that just got 7 players from Tampa and I can't see us beating them twice plus a potential trap game against a weak Hartford team.

If you can't score you can't win and the Comets in two of the past three weekends scored only two real goals in three games twice.  Note they have been playing three game weekends for over a month now.

Yeah it would basically have to play out as a best case scenario where St. John's Icecaps lose both of their games to one of the hottest teams in the league, Toronto Marlies; and Utica goes onto to win 2 out of 3 games. It is not impossible, but it is unlikely at this moment that Demko could shuts the door down and Goldobin adds just enough added scoring to make this happen. 

Key to the Comets chances lies in the health of Carter Bancks.  Captain Bancks missed the last two games and the team fell flat failing to score in both contests. Something about Hamilton and Bancks that makes this team roll  When either is out, it's a different team.  They do so many things that are taken for granted. They are the heart and soul of this team. Not sure on his status for the remainder of the season, but without Bancks it'll be time to get out the golf clubs.

I've always been annoyed that AHL stats aren't easily available, particularly all-time statistics. Thankfully, Utica has only been around for four seasons, so it's not too difficult to find stuff on them and compile it manually.

I took some time out of my day today (it was a slow day), to compile some interesting all-time statistics about the Utica Comets. *note* - I looked at most of the top players on Utica through the last four years, but not as many of the lower-end players, so it's possible that some players near the bottom may be missing.

First, the top 25 point scorers in Comets history:

58ec2f27e61d1_All-TimeUticaCometsSkaterStats(Apr102017).png.7dc9fa70ffc0091dcf00222a6c09b681.png

Interesting to see how far Grenier is ahead of everyone else.

Next, the all-time goaltender statistics:

58ec2f5045059_All-TimeUticaCometsGoalieStats(Apr102017).png.4616b617b3b10d8f5b958d2941639415.png

I had forgotten how much Eriksson played for us.

Next, the single-season records for skaters:

58ec2f8cea3a1_All-TimeUticaCometsSkaterSingle-SeasonRecords(Apr102017).png.d7e13c5bbca47bdc13ec95c8357217cd.png

And finally, the single-season records for goaltenders:

58ec2f9f38786_All-TimeUticaCometsGoalieSingle-SeasonRecords(Apr102017).png.e5740c009f00d36e74efe4b7d9ed7975.png

I'm sure any of my fellow stats nerds will enjoy reading through this as much as I enjoyed making it. 

I considered making this it's own thread, but I'm not sure it distinguishes itself enough from the normal Utica Comets thread to merit its own. 

Just brainstorming on the look of the Utica lineup with Goldobin in the picture now... its got me wishing Utica had a centreman with a nice mix of size and skill. Valk and Pelletier are their two best offensive centres but both are on the smaller side and Goldobin's a slight guy as well. Zalewski's been playing up the lineup but hasn't been close to the threat he was last year. Its really too bad Gaunce isn't healthy because Gaunce+Goldobin could've been two thirds of a really effective AHL line. Maybe something like:

Goldobin-Valk-Grenier

Archibald-Zalewski-Virtanen

Kunyk-Pelletier-Rendulic

Labate-Hamilton-Bancks

(Cassels/Carcone/Roy/LaPlante/MacEwen/French)

McEneny-Subban

Robak-Billins

Pedan-Sautner

(Shields/Nilsson/Negrin)

Bancks is injured right now (most likely) so I don't know if he'll be back anytime soon; Cassels will likely draw in for him if he can't play. Archibald and Grenier have been a mainstay winger pair for Green most of the season but the whole team has gone cold recently and it might be time for a shake up. Valk's the most creative centre that Utica has to offer and Goldobin is instantly the most skilled forward on the team so they could be a logical pair; if Green really wants to keep Archibald+Grenier together, then Virtanen and Grenier can be swapped. Actually, the top three RWs (Grenier, Virtanen, Rendulic) are pretty fluid in my eyes and all three can move around the top 9.

20 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Just brainstorming on the look of the Utica lineup with Goldobin in the picture now... its got me wishing Utica had a centreman with a nice mix of size and skill. Valk and Pelletier are their two best offensive centres but both are on the smaller side and Goldobin's a slight guy as well. Zalewski's been playing up the lineup but hasn't been close to the threat he was last year. Its really too bad Gaunce isn't healthy because Gaunce+Goldobin could've been two thirds of a really effective AHL line. Maybe something like:

Goldobin-Valk-Grenier

Archibald-Zalewski-Virtanen

Kunyk-Pelletier-Rendulic

Labate-Hamilton-Bancks

(Cassels/Carcone/Roy/LaPlante/MacEwen/French)

McEneny-Subban

Robak-Billins

Pedan-Sautner

(Shields/Nilsson/Negrin)

Bancks is injured right now (most likely) so I don't know if he'll be back anytime soon; Cassels will likely draw in for him if he can't play. Archibald and Grenier have been a mainstay winger pair for Green most of the season but the whole team has gone cold recently and it might be time for a shake up. Valk's the most creative centre that Utica has to offer and Goldobin is instantly the most skilled forward on the team so they could be a logical pair; if Green really wants to keep Archibald+Grenier together, then Virtanen and Grenier can be swapped. Actually, the top three RWs (Grenier, Virtanen, Rendulic) are pretty fluid in my eyes and all three can move around the top 9.

I know Zalewski's a good energy two-way guy but is he really a second line center? I mean he hasn't really put up big points at any level.

I wish Green would make a bold move and put MacEwen there. He just had a great playoffs in the Q and is probably full of confidence right now. For a team that lacks scoring I'd love to see them put their confidence in this guy.

Imagine him anchoring Archibald and Virtanen. That's three big bodies that can skate real well and shoot the puck. I hope they at least consider it.

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I know Zalewski's a good energy two-way guy but is he really a second line center? I mean he hasn't really put up big points at any level.

I wish Green would make a bold move and put MacEwen there. He just had a great playoffs in the Q and is probably full of confidence right now. For a team that lacks scoring I'd love to see them put their confidence in this guy.

Imagine him anchoring Archibald and Virtanen. That's three big bodies that can skate real well and shoot the puck. I hope they at least consider it.

I agree on MacEwen and want to see him play in these final three games.  We can't buy a goal right now and the playoffs are slipping away if they have't slipped away already.  Let's see what this kid can do.

now that Goldy, Bachman, Laplante are sent down back to Utica, I imagine Laplante will be a continued scratch since he didn't produce much when he was put in the lineup and didn't look engaged offensively when Green did put him in the lineup on a occasional basis. I think Bachman will resume the reigns in between the pipes since Demko has been carrying quite a heavy workload but he has taken advantage of the opportunity and made the most out of it. He impressed us as Canucks fans and Comets fans with his dazzling stats. not to mention winning the 3 star award. well deserved. Goldy will fit in perfectly with the forward group that's struggling to buy a break offensively. judging by stats, Valk and Robak both were among the shot leaders in the game vs St John's lineup with 4 and 3 respectively with LaBate and Zalewski not far behind with a pair each. but having Goldy will certainly help in that case coming off a successful debut stint with the Canucks. McEwan should draw in for Bancks though MacKenzie could also be put in Bancks' spot since he's probably itching to make his pro debut.Lineup should be the following imo:

Archie - Zalewski - Grenier

Goldy  - Valk - Virtanen

Carcone - Pelletier - Rendulic

MacEwan/MacKenzie - Hamilton - LaBate

McEneny - Subban

Robak - Billins

Pedan - Sautner

Bachman

Archived