The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016-17 Utica Comets Thread

Also helping MacEwen's case... Green's used Roy and Laplante sparingly even when in the lineup and it looks like he's made up his mind on them. MacEwen is an unknown so maybe he gets a look. He'd still have to leapfrog one of Cassels or Carcone though but Green has been rotating them (as well as Pelletier occasionally) in and out lately so it could happen.

Well looks like Gaunce is a definite "no" as he is getting surgery for torn labrum.  I also don't remember if Molino was eligible for the roster but I think not; ineligible like Boeser.  He signed a 2 year entry level contract.  Would have been nice to have him too for a closer look.  He has wheels and I suspect would have fit right in to Green's plans.  

We REALLY need Goldy and he seems to have an easygoing personality and could be a star here.  Hopefully he doesn't play with one foot on the brakes so he can get home to mother Russia.  Maybe Pedan can keep him motivated: and it was 80 and sunny here last couple of days so he is probably thinking he is in Florida without the humidity when he got off the plane.  I like that Goldy, Valk Virtanen idea.  That line looks dangerous.  Virtanen was the only threat we had last Sunday and he was really trying to create and doing a decent job of it.  If we want to score Travis just has to play him.  It would be great to get some playoffs games as VIrt is about to explode I think.  

I suspect Cassels will get the nod as he has been playing well lately.  Pelletier can play the wing.  Maybe Pat P slots in over Carcone, and they put Cassels with him and Rendulic.  

Mike Zalewski bobblehead night tomorrow night.  Maybe that will get him going offensively.  

Huge game tomorrow night.  Looking forward to it.  

8 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

I agree on MacEwen and want to see him play in these final three games.  We can't buy a goal right now and the playoffs are slipping away if they have't slipped away already.  Let's see what this kid can do.

13 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Also helping MacEwen's case... Green's used Roy and Laplante sparingly even when in the lineup and it looks like he's made up his mind on them. MacEwen is an unknown so maybe he gets a look. He'd still have to leapfrog one of Cassels or Carcone though but Green has been rotating them (as well as Pelletier occasionally) in and out lately so it could happen.

.. this is exciting!   Go Comets!!

1 hour ago, Beary Sweet said:

now that Goldy, Bachman, Laplante are sent down back to Utica, I imagine Laplante will be a continued scratch since he didn't produce much when he was put in the lineup and didn't look engaged offensively when Green did put him in the lineup on a occasional basis. I think Bachman will resume the reigns in between the pipes since Demko has been carrying quite a heavy workload but he has taken advantage of the opportunity and made the most out of it. He impressed us as Canucks fans and Comets fans with his dazzling stats. not to mention winning the 3 star award. well deserved. Goldy will fit in perfectly with the forward group that's struggling to buy a break offensively. judging by stats, Valk and Robak both were among the shot leaders in the game vs St John's lineup with 4 and 3 respectively with LaBate and Zalewski not far behind with a pair each. but having Goldy will certainly help in that case coming off a successful debut stint with the Canucks. McEwan should draw in for Bancks though MacKenzie could also be put in Bancks' spot since he's probably itching to make his pro debut.Lineup should be the following imo:

Archie - Zalewski - Grenier

Goldy  - Valk - Virtanen

Carcone - Pelletier - Rendulic

MacEwan/MacKenzie - Hamilton - LaBate

McEneny - Subban

Robak - Billins

Pedan - Sautner

Bachman

If the Comets had another 3 in 3 I would think that Bachman would get the middle game but since it is 3 games in 4 nights I think he stays with Demko tomorrow and depending on how he plays may bring him back again on Friday.

McKkenzie was released from his ATO without ever playing so he is not an option.  I don't think either Laplante or Roy will play at this point either.  Goldy is a given and will be in the lineup tomorrow and I have a feeling MacEwen bumps Carcone out.  Max French has taken warm-ups the past couple of games but hasn't played yet.  If they lose tomorrow French might finally get a game on Friday.

As for line combinations I don't even want to guess but Green hardly ever puts three young players on the same line. 

3 hours ago, Scruffy05 said:

If they run the gamut their final three are they guaranteed or does somebody else have to lose as well?

The Comets don't control their own destiny at this point.  If the Comets sweep the remaining three games they need either Albany to take no more than three points in their remaining three games and the Devils the easiest remaining schedule of the three teams competing for the two final playoff spots OR St John's to take no more than three points in their final two games.  If the Comets lose one of their remaining three games then the above holds true but Albany or St John's can't get more than one point.  So the bottom line is if the Comets sweep there still is a chance but if they don't then realistically they are done.

19 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Prepare for more Jayson Megna-like signings this summer people

You mean strong AHL players who if it weren't for injuries and a lack of depth would have stayed in the AHL? Sounds good for Utica.

5 minutes ago, b3. said:

Goldobin on the third line?

Willie is that you...? :emot-parrot:

My perception is that Valk is a good guy to pair him with. I figure we could do better than Rendulic with him though.

Archived