The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEATH] Multiple sources reporting Gordie Howe died this morning

Stix

Gary Bettman releases his statement on the passing of Gordie Howe.

"All hockey fans grieve the loss of the incomparable Gordie Howe.

"A remarkable athlete whose mastery of our sport was reflected by the longevity of his career and by his nickname, 'Mr. Hockey,' Gordie's commitment to winning was matched only by his commitment to his teammates, to his friends, to the Red Wings, to the city of Detroit and - above all - to his family. His devotion to Colleen through her illness and the fact that he extended his playing days into a fifth decade so he could play with his sons are only two examples of that true priority in his life.

"Gordie's greatness travels far beyond mere statistics; it echoes in the words of veneration spoken by countless players who joined him in the Hockey Hall of Fame and considered him their hero.

"Gordie's toughness as a competitor on the ice was equaled only by his humor and humility away from it. No sport could have hoped for a greater, more-beloved ambassador.

"On behalf of the generations who were thrilled by his play and those who only know of his legend, and on behalf of all the young people and teammates he inspired, we send heartfelt wishes of condolence, comfort and strength to the Howe family and to all who mourn the passing of this treasured icon of our game."

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Gary Bettman releases his statement on the passing of Gordie Howe.

"All hockey fans grieve the loss of the incomparable Gordie Howe.

"A remarkable athlete whose mastery of our sport was reflected by the longevity of his career and by his nickname, 'Mr. Hockey,' Gordie's commitment to winning was matched only by his commitment to his teammates, to his friends, to the Red Wings, to the city of Detroit and - above all - to his family. His devotion to Colleen through her illness and the fact that he extended his playing days into a fifth decade so he could play with his sons are only two examples of that true priority in his life.

"Gordie's greatness travels far beyond mere statistics; it echoes in the words of veneration spoken by countless players who joined him in the Hockey Hall of Fame and considered him their hero.

"Gordie's toughness as a competitor on the ice was equaled only by his humor and humility away from it. No sport could have hoped for a greater, more-beloved ambassador.

"On behalf of the generations who were thrilled by his play and those who only know of his legend, and on behalf of all the young people and teammates he inspired, we send heartfelt wishes of condolence, comfort and strength to the Howe family and to all who mourn the passing of this treasured icon of our game."

I wonder how long Bettman has had that statement saved in a macro somewhere?

One of the greatest ever, who was from Floral/Saskatoon. A man who like many other greats of his time had to scrounge up hockey equipment to get started, shone from a young age to an age that will likely never be matched on the ice.  Gordie Howe was one of the first retired hockey players I ever learned about from family, the other would be another local hero Johnny Bower (there are some pretty big leafs fans from PA in my fam). While I never got a chance to meet him, he was by all accounts a very kind man off the ice. A true Legend.

It makes me really proud that maybe the greatest ever hockey player ever is from my city and never forgot it.

RIP Gordie Howe.

Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch released the following statement on the passing of Gordie Howe.

“Today is a sad day for the Detroit Red Wings and the entire hockey world as together we mourn the loss of one of the greatest hockey players of all-time. The Red Wings organization and the National Hockey League would not be what they are today without Gordie Howe. There is no nickname more fitting for him than “Mr. Hockey.” He embodied on and off the ice what it meant to be both a Red Wing and a Detroiter. He was tough, skilled, and consistently earned success at the highest level. His achievements are numerous and his accomplishments immeasurable. It is truly a blessing to have had him both in our organization and our city for so many years. He will be deeply missed.”

Wow. The greatest legend to pass away since I began following hockey. I could write so much about him and what I've learned about his career throughout my times researching hockey history.

Nicklas Lidstrom comments on the passing of Gordie Howe.

"He would always draw big crowds when he had a signing or was at an event," Lidstrom said in a phone conversation from Sweden. "He was always the most popular guy in the room wherever he went. That's quite amazing when you're getting up in age and you're still the most popular guy. That really shows his greatness."

"I thought it was great for all the players to have Gordie come in the locker room and say hi to the guys and joke around," said Lidstrom. "Just his presence alone was great for the players. As older players, we know how much he meant for the League. Just like Wayne Gretzky when he was in his heyday, that was Gordie back in the day. He meant a lot for the NHL, and especially for the Red Wings. He's still a huge name in Detroit. Any time he would be there it would be a standing ovation at 'The Joe' [Joe Louis Arena] when they showed him up on the big screen. He meant a lot to the team and the organization."

RIP Mr. Hockey you will never be forgotten.

I am bit surprised there is nothing on the front page of canucks.com website of Gordie Howe's passing.  All the other NHL teams websites had something on the front page about him.

We lost hockey's greatest legend today, god damn. :(

Any way you spin it he was top 5 all-time, there will never be another like him. He defined hockey.

What's even more impressive is that he was an even better human being than he was a hockey player. He was like royalty, just like Ali.

R.I.P Mr. Hockey.

Steve Yzerman comments on the passing of Gordie Howe.

"It was very saddening to hear the news of Gordie's passing this morning. He has been an icon not only in Detroit, but throughout the entire hockey world for as long as I can remember. As one of the greatest players to ever play in the NHL, the majority of his career being in Detroit, it was an honor to wear the same uniform, spend time with, laugh, joke and seek advice from him. Gordie's humility and kindness left a permanent impression on me, greatly influencing how I tried to conduct myself throughout my career."

“His impact on the Red Wings organization is still evident today. I travel the world and constantly hear stories from people who love the Wings and share memories of the glory days when Gordie and his teammates ruled the NHL. For all players fortunate enough to play for the Wings, we should take time to thank and honor Gordie, for he is a significant reason why Detroit is such a special place to play."

“To Gordie's surviving family, I offer my sincere condolences, in particular to his son Mark, my former teammate and colleague, who cannot help but remind me of his father every time I see him."

watching all the tribute's and seeing the golden jet in tears ,man that one really got to me , having that much respect for the man that opposed him through  their careers you know it's impact when hull a legend in his own right talks so highly of a man , 

Never saw him play, but somehow through media exposure and watching hours of HNIC growing up and seeing 99 with him so much, feel somehow connected to this legend of a Canadian.  What a great character role model for all Canadian's to reflect upon.

"The greatest player who ever played..."

"When you get a chance to fish with Gordie Howe, you fish!"

- Wayne Gretzky

Well IF there's a heaven... or the NEXT dimension or whatever.... if there's something after this....

Someone just lost the first line center spot....

RIP Gordie Howe...

Can't wait to listen to Don tomorrow.

Archived