The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEATH] Multiple sources reporting Gordie Howe died this morning

Stix

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Lets put this in to perspective 

At age 52 he played a full season for the Whalers and put up 41 points.

41 points at age 52 in the toughest pro league in the world.  He knocked someones front teeth out that season as well with his patented elbow and went toe to toe with some tough SOBs that year.

Gordie Howe embodied everything hockey is, was or literally will ever be.  He played a mean fearless game and will go down as possibly the greatest hockey player to ever live.  Not the most points, not the flashiest.

But quite simply the greatest for reasons Gretzky could not embody in his time in the league.

Exactly.  Gordie Howe was the embodiment of hockey.  he did it all, and did it all the right way.

no man will probably ever be in good enough shape to to be able to play with his son's like he did , when i was 15 i went to smithers hockey school ,joe watson took his false teeth out and told us gordie howe did this in his first game ,howe looked down at him and said welcome to the league kid ,watson wore this like a badge of honour, rip MR. HOCKEY!

Not sure if this has already been said, but RIP Mr. Hockey.

This is probably not PC at all, but one of earliest hockey memories was watching my dad get a Gordie Howe hat trick.  I was like 5 or 6 years old, watching my dad, who was a defenseman in a local league in North Van get a goal and an assist.  He then proceded to beat up an opponents fist with his almost toothless face.  For the next few weeks I recall hearing about the Gordie Howe hat trick on  daily basis.  That was my introduction to Gordie Howe.

My favorite quote from Howe

If you play a little rough, you get respect. And with respect you get just a little bit more space on the ice.

I followed my dad's footsteps and played D in hockey, but I always tried to mimic Howe while playing Lacrosse.  You want to check me?  I'm going to make you miserable.

My favourite hockey player of all-time lives on in my heart.

Even Gretzky himself would give Howe the nod as the best ever.  Sure he ultimately surpassed him in scoring but that is only one dimension of the game. Howe could do it all at any position aside goal and surely was one of the toughest to ever play.  You could argue he was the toughest of them all.  And as mentioned here before was a class act all the way.  Hockey lost a great man. 

Archived