The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hank and Danny's next Contract

kingofsurrey

A series of 1yr deals at $3.5 million each.  Half the price of now and they are probably staying in town at this point as their kids are in school and effectively Canadian, they have hinted as much on several occasions... so they get to play an extra couple years and then transition into some sort of other role in the organization (something small at the start as they will probably be happy for a break and family time... then maybe player development guys).

15 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Iggy got 15 mil .  Term will be very important to the TWINs  as  production can drop off quickly for aging players.

TWINS will definately want  probably 3 yrs deal.   They would be foolish to sign anything shorter.....

They may want to retire. Nobody knows. Or they might wanna play for another team. Only person that knows is the twins. 

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

A series of 1yr deals at $3.5 million each.  Half the price of now and they are probably staying in town at this point as their kids are in school and effectively Canadian, they have hinted as much on several occasions... so they get to play an extra couple years and then transition into some sort of other role in the organization (something small at the start as they will probably be happy for a break and family time... then maybe player development guys).

they're not stupid enough to sign at 3.5. Will take 4.5 mill + at least 

11 hours ago, hookshott said:

If your kids were born here and all their friends are here, you have only played here and have many friends in the city, plus you have all the money you ever need (and have generously given much away to local charities)......what would you do?

Maybe they will want a shot at the cup. Iginla tried on a couple of teams, failed and then settled.

23 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I think i read somewhere players can make over 400,000 per year in the SEL     

Not quite the 5-7 mil they can make in Vancity.....

Hello group im from Sweden and follow the SHL very close. The salaries in Sweden are not public so there is alot of speculations every year.
But the best players in the league have an annual salary around 800.000 CAD.

Long term, it may be best for the Canucks to not re-sign the Sedins when their current contracts expire.

It is time to move on, they have already given their best for this team, and I applaud them for all that they have done for Vancouver.

IMO, any further contracts will be over payments.

34 minutes ago, AgentC said:

Hello group im from Sweden and follow the SHL very close. The salaries in Sweden are not public so there is alot of speculations every year.
But the best players in the league have an annual salary around 800.000 CAD.

Thanks. Great to know.   I  would love to see Hank and Danny play for Modo again at some point of their careers.... That would be awesome to see.   So great to see guys get back to their original clubs

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Makes sense to me.  So many posters see the Sedin's only as players....but they are much more than that....they love their families and the city and they have NO DESIRE to go someplace else!  Nor are they money hungry as is witnessed by all the money they have given to local charities.  We will not have to break the bank to sign these guys in the future....they want to make a contribution to the city and the team.  

3 minutes ago, hookshott said:

Makes sense to me.  So many posters see the Sedin's only as players....but they are much more than that....they love their families and the city and they have NO DESIRE to go someplace else!  Nor are they money hungry as is witnessed by all the money they have given to local charities.  We will not have to break the bank to sign these guys in the future....they want to make a contribution to the city and the team.  

Also... $3.5 million isn't that far off market value for guys who may be only producing 50 points at that point on the 2nd line.

50 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

Long term, it may be best for the Canucks to not re-sign the Sedins when their current contracts expire.

It is time to move on, they have already given their best for this team, and I applaud them for all that they have done for Vancouver.

If they dont get resigned we will have big holes and production to fill. We barely have a 2nd line right now nevermind replacing the first line. 

55 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

Im thinking pretty much the same..time to part ways...and head in a different direction..

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016-06-11 at 4:34 PM, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

please trade them and save this team years off a obvious rebuild. I keep asking the question who is going to fill the 1st line duties after these guys retire?

we will be in a deep hole, skill wise its best to sit them down,talk to them, and ask them if they want a chance at lord Stanley. The offer we will get for the Sedins' will be massive and will save this team years off a rebuild. 

I personally think they will retire when their contracts are up. Despite likely still being able to play, I see them retiring like Naslund. They really don't have anything left to prove, being the all time leading Canucks, and I never got the impression the Cup is the be all end all for them.

As for your "it's a business" post earlier, Yzerman retired a Red Wing. Sakic and Roy retired as Avalanche. There are numerous examples of teams that didn't employ the "it's a business" acumen and celebrated exceptional players careers until retirement. You can make the argument those teams suffered but again both Sakic and Roy are still part of Colorado. Lemieux is still with Pittsburgh. Some players deserve, if not outright demand the respect and loyalty of their franchises. Vancouver definitely should show loyalty to the Sedins since it's hard enough to attract players here as it is. Do what you're suggesting and we'll be back to the days when our GM's couldn't land quality FA's if their lives depended on it.

Look at Brodeur. Because the Devils employed the "it's a business" philosophy he's part of St. Louis' management team. I'm sure Devils fans are thrilled their all time greatest goaltender has a blemish of playing for another team for a small amount of games and is not part of their franchise anymore. What happened to management, oh yeah, they're in Toronto now.

Iggy left to pursue a Cup. Kiprusoff was forced into early retirement because of the "it's a business" mentality. That sure hurt Calgary not having veteran goaltending he could've provided during a transition that might've helped them remain competitive.

Sedins aren't going anywhere. They'll play out their careers here and retire as Canucks. Linden and co. aren't going to trade them for picks, prospects or assets. They're more valuable to them and the franchise to end their careers and have their farewell skate here.

However, I'd like the idea of the "it's a business" affecting those who preach it. I hope whatever career you're in or get into someday will give you the boot after 15 years or close to a pension and say "sorry, it's a business, but we're getting rid of you to replace you with someone younger and not have to pay out your full pension and benefits in order to stay competitive. You understand and can support that, right? After all, what have you done for me lately?!"

2 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

The Sedins are our second line. We lack any semblance of a first line.

Thats correct  and thats one  expensive 2nd line.  Look for their pts  to further drop this season as they are hitting the age when production does drop off quicker.

I think what they do all depends on how the team progresses and whether we have a realistic chance to win the cup or not by the time they retire.  I personally think this is one of the reasons that Benning is willing to give up some draft picks in exchange for making the team competitive now; not only does having a crappy team reduce ticket sales, we also may have as little as 2 years of service left from the Sedins, and being equally crappy for the next year or two all but guarantees their retirement.  If we were ever to go all-in, to snag the last bit of production of the Sedins, now is a good time to start.

I believe the Sedins have no interest in going anywhere else.  As such, what they would be worth in UFA is less relevant for them than it is for most players.  5m has been spun around, but I would not be surprised to see them sign for 3.5.  I know that seems ludicrously low, but that makes it so our cap can fit in another high end talent.  If any players are classy enough to be willing to take such a large pay cut just to try to win with the team that they've played on for their entire careers, you can rest assured it would be them.

9 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I think what they do all depends on how the team progresses and whether we have a realistic chance to win the cup or not by the time they retire.  I personally think this is one of the reasons that Benning is willing to give up some draft picks in exchange for making the team competitive now; not only does having a crappy team reduce ticket sales, we also may have as little as 2 years of service left from the Sedins, and being equally crappy for the next year or two all but guarantees their retirement.  If we were ever to go all-in, to snag the last bit of production of the Sedins, now is a good time to start.

I believe the Sedins have no interest in going anywhere else.  As such, what they would be worth in UFA is less relevant for them than it is for most players.  5m has been spun around, but I would not be surprised to see them sign for 3.5.  I know that seems ludicrously low, but that makes it so our cap can fit in another high end talent.  If any players are classy enough to be willing to take such a large pay cut just to try to win with the team that they've played on for their entire careers, you can rest assured it would be them.

I see the Sedins looking for Iggy money.   5.5 mil per for a  3 yr deal.  Each of them.

If anything they would a  mil each of their 16.5 mil  to the Childrens Hospital.  That would be awesome and super generous of them.

I see them as showing charity towards the childrens hospital rather than  donating to the Aquilini family trust fund  .....

Archived