The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hank and Danny's next Contract

kingofsurrey

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Timing is kind of wrong for both Canucks and the Sedins.

In  a perfect world we would have a large group  of   highly skilled 22-24 yr olds right now .  2 years from now when the Sedins contract is up, they would move down to the 2nd line  and we would push for the cup.  

The problem is our young guys will most likely not be ready to be first line NHL players 2 years from now.

That's exactly what Benning has been doing........feeling in that empty age bracket and drafting good, young talent.  Hes building a solid progression  of players.

Most likely one year deals at the end of their current contract for as long as they can still produce.  How much money depends on their production in their last year.  They play with skill and smarts, not necessarily speed.  So there's no reason they couldn't continue to produce second line numbers at age 38... in which case they'd still deserve $5 mil.  I'm sure they'd want to go back and play in Sweden if they aren't capable of playing on the second line anymore.

1 hour ago, cuporbust said:

Around 5. Depends on how the next couple go. Doubt they will play past 38 in the NHL though. They will be knee deep in modo

Right. Whether they re-sign and how much they re-sign for depends a lot what happens over the next couple of years. Among others things, injuries could be an important factor.

Like everyone else I would love to see the Sedins win a Cup with the Canucks. Winning a Cup is never "likely" for any given team but if Benning's strategy works (although I am far from confident that it will), it would be good for them to have a couple of additional years after their current contracts end.

Anything over 5 million per year would probably hurt the team in terms of value for money and cap space. Anything under 4 million would be probably be a good deal that helps the team. "Fair value" is probably between 4 million and 5 million per year for a two-year deal. But you don't win Cups with "fair value". By definition a team that pays the average amount per unit of performance will be an average team. My best guess is maybe 4 million  per year -- the low end of the reasonable range.

But who knows what Benning will do. He seems to think in terms of "yes" or "no" instead of "how much". If he thinks he want the Sedins for two more years he will probably overpay. If he wants younger players instead, the Sedins won't get an offer.

I would prefer the approach of keeping them for the right price, but only for the right price, and for me that would be 4 million or less.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

That's exactly what Benning has been doing........feeling in that empty age bracket and drafting good, young talent.  Hes building a solid progression  of players.

The strategy of filling in empty age brackets is a strategy to maintain mediocrity.

2 hours ago, MayRayDown said:

I think they've already stated that they want to end their careers in Sweden. Think we should just part ways after the 2 years, would be better for the Sedins to have gas left in the tank to star in Sweden and we will need to start moving forward

I believe I'd heard the opposite. If I'm not mistaken, they intend to make Vancouver their more permanent home. Their children have been largely born and raised in Vancouver so uprooting their lives doesn't make much sense. I'd guess that they would frequently visit Sweden, but I think they plan to live in Vancouver.

4 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Honestly if we can show them we are contenders by the end of their contracts in 2 season I think they would re-sign 1 year deals at like 3.5 each and tell Benning to go get the finishing pieces in free agency that summer or via trade. 

Zero chance the Canucks are contenders in two years.

4 minutes ago, Nucks89 said:

Zero chance the Canucks are contenders in two years.

I tend to agree but if we manage to hit a gem in Dubois/Tkachuk in this year's draft, the Dcore of Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Gudbranson performs up to their potential, our young forwards like Horvat Virtanen Baertschi Boeser become consistent top 6 players, and Demko, Markstrom become a quality tandem and Jim is able to pull off a few good trades for once and a few good signings as well then its not entirely impossible.

A lot of variables but it's possible. Not probable but possible.

Those guys aren't going back to Sweden. I'd be comfortable between 3-4m/yr. Anymore and I'd rather move on. Would absolutely love to see those boys slide down to a 2nd/3rd line, 2nd PP unit type guys. 13-17 min/night. I think they have the character, desire and selflessness to take a serious hometown discount, but only if that money was spent on some free agent pieces to augment a contender. Shoot, maybe they even go 2m/yr on a multi year deal with guaranteed NMC. Retire after that and move right into the front office, or maybe even coaching...

Frankly I think this will have a lot to do with their families. Their children have been raised and schooled in Vcr.... basically Vcr is their home. So as long as there's a slot for them and they're able I'd have to think here they'll stay.

I remember King Richard  anxious to return to Quebec when he retired didn't last out there long. As soon as his Children graduated from High school they returned to Vcr to attend UBC and ended up staying here and King Richard and wife also returned to Vcr :lol: 

23 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Will they get protected if there is an expansion draft?

I can't see them risking young players over the twins. Maybe they get split up. 

Whaa.. are you kidding?!  Not protect your top line players?!  Despite what you or others here think, when healthy, they are still our top line players.  Yeah.. people can say 'the twins are second line players now' or 'let's try xxxxx as our first line instead of the twins'.  But the reality is the Sedins will still produce like the team's top line.  And not protecting them is absurd.

They are still in great shape and can still provide stability. They are also mature enough to understand that they are past their prime and will not be on the top line for much longer and must, sooner or later, drop to the second, or even third line to maintain effectiveness. They will also understand and accept the fact that, as an organization, the Canucks cannot continue to pay them top dollar, as it becomes riskier and riskier to do so as they get older. Along with productivity loss, risk of injury also becomes higher.. Jagr is getting 4 mil per season and I see no reason the Sedins shouldn't get similar money, unless they start to seriously fall apart over the next couple seasons.

At that number, I'm perfectly fine with putting them in a third line role if there are players able to take top 6 minutes.

A trio of Sedin, Sedin, Hansen would be a pretty formidable third line. 

If you look at the Sedin's injury history it's all pretty minor stuff. Careers end on bad legs, shoulders and heads. These sneaky buggers are like brand new. If they want, they will play into their 40's without a doubt. 

Because of the 2 for 1 reality with the Twins I suggest a series of 1year deals with no NTC but at NHL wage rates. No multi year deals as such contracts simply do not meet the timeline of the Canucks move to serious CUP contention. The likelihood of the Twins moving is nil unless they want to move and then the 1 year deals helps. Fans have to hope that there will be a place in the org for them on retirement.  

Archived