The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows is NOT worth buying out!!!

Noseforthenet

So the buy out window is tomorrow. The math has me scratching my head as to why the team would do this. 

So a a buy out where the player is over 26, they are entitled to 2/3 of their money, broken up over double what the term would be. Which gives Burr 1 mil x2 years, which is fine, but the thing I don't get here is the cap hit. 2/3 of the cap hit over 2 years is 3 mil per season. Are we honestly gonna let this 3 mil cap hit go onto next season and the season after?! Something just doesn't seem right about this?! Am I wrong? It seems better to suffer 4.5 mil for 1 year than to suffer 3 mil for 2 years. No?

I continue to find it difficult to pencil in Burrows or Higgins on theoretical rosters. You have to consider that guys like Etem, Granlund, Rodin and Virtanen will be coming into roster spots with Vrbata the only forward that's really moving on. Do you still slot in Burrows and Higgins over the guys I just mentioned? A buyout gives a player more options than placing them on waivers or having a ten year vet humiliated in the press box. It would be an act of kindness to buyout Burrows and let him earn a cheap contract elsewhere. Likewise for Higgins.

I love Burr and I think he is worth his contract for another season.

But I am not on the payroll.

Carlyle led the Moose when Kes, Bieksa and Burr were rookies in the AHL.

Anaheim brought him back, and I could definitely see them wanting Alex.

Perhaps an Edler + Burrows for Lindholm or Vatanen?

32 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I continue to find it difficult to pencil in Burrows or Higgins on theoretical rosters. You have to consider that guys like Etem, Granlund, Rodin and Virtanen will be coming into roster spots with Vrbata the only forward that's really moving on. Do you still slot in Burrows and Higgins over the guys I just mentioned? A buyout gives a player more options than placing them on waivers or having a ten year vet humiliated in the press box. It would be an act of kindness to buyout Burrows and let him earn a cheap contract elsewhere. Likewise for Higgins.

Really?

So we just let these young guys walk into the team and we shove our palm in Burr's face and say no thanks. He wants to BE HERE. Would it not be fairer to let them ALL fight it out for a place in the team?

Burr is a warrior and I'm sure he would be up for that. He is also a great mentor and after one more season here we might ask him to be an assistant coach in Utica.

I am sick at how easy this fanbase finds it to sxxx on guys who have given their all here and just assumes the "new guy" is better.

4 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Really?

So we just let these young guys walk into the team and we shove our palm in Burr's face and say no thanks. He wants to BE HERE. Would it not be fairer to let them ALL fight it out for a place in the team?

Burr is a warrior and I'm sure he would be up for that. He is also a great mentor and after one more season here we might ask him to be an assistant coach in Utica.

I am sick at how easy this fanbase finds it to sxxx on guys who have given their all here and just assumes the "new guy" is better.

These days it's not about what Burr is, but what he is worth. @ 4.5 he is overpayed technically. Us, diehard fans, know what he brings behind the scenes. But it's a business and a numbers game. Can we buy him out and get somebody worthwhile for half his price? Probably

Just now, insomniac604 said:

These days it's not about what Burr is, but what he is worth. @ 4.5 he is overpayed technically. Us, diehard fans, know what he brings behind the scenes. But it's a business and a numbers game. Can we buy him out and get somebody worthwhile for half his price? Probably

"Technically" or not Burr can play anywhere and be very effective. His effort is consistent night in and night out. He didn't have a great season last year but who did? Our players were hidebound by injuries all over the team.

I don't think his salary is unreasonable for such a player. 

You have just heard how buying him out doesn't mean that much to the cap so it comes down to "can he still do a great job for us?" I think he can. He is still probably the highest energy player on the team. Higgins pales in comparison and I would have no problem in letting Higgy walk.

2 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

"Technically" or not Burr can play anywhere and be very effective. His effort is consistent night in and night out. He didn't have a great season last year but who did? Our players were hidebound by injuries all over the team.

I don't think his salary is unreasonable for such a player. 

You have just heard how buying him out doesn't mean that much to the cap so it comes down to "can he still do a great job for us?" I think he can. He is still probably the highest energy player on the team. Higgins pales in comparison and I would have no problem in letting Higgy walk.

Burrows and Higgins are not mutually exclusive.

I believe Higgins needs to be bought out or traded no matter what. I think there is no question he will be. I don't see him back on the team in any capacity.

Burrows is a different story. I believe he is worth his contract. But Canucks management seems to think otherwise.

Burr is a combo of points & personality. But none of us are in the room. And so, perhaps, personality is not worth as much as we thought.

Carlyle coached Kes, Bieksa and Burr in Manitoba. If there is any team willing to give us semi-fair value, it would probably be Anaheim. Or Montreal because Burr is French.

2 minutes ago, insomniac604 said:

Burrows and Higgins are not mutually exclusive.

I believe Higgins needs to be bought out or traded no matter what. I think there is no question he will be. I don't see him back on the team in any capacity.

Burrows is a different story. I believe he is worth his contract. But Canucks management seems to think otherwise.

Burr is a combo of points & personality. But none of us are in the room. And so, perhaps, personality is not worth as much as we thought.

Carlyle coached Kes, Bieksa and Burr in Manitoba. If there is any team willing to give us semi-fair value, it would probably be Anaheim. Or Montreal because Burr is French.

Well we shall just have to wait and see I guess.

Always good to score against the Bruins in Boston.

1 hour ago, insomniac604 said:

$4.5m is his cap hit. His actual salary is $3m. Unless Benning manages to sign a big fish UFA there's little point in buying out Burrows as cap space is there with him on the roster. What he adds on the ice and in the locker room is well worth the $3m.

burrows is capable of having a bounce back year. for those of you who only look at numbers, there are some things that you can't simply get rid of from what burrows does for the team. even last year, when the team was horrible, burrows was one bright spot of a rather depressing special teams system. he still did what he'd always done since day one, and that was make the canucks PK more respectable than it should have been. i feel at peace having burrows on the ice during a PK because he knows his role, he reads a short handed situation quite well, and can block an important shot when necessary

higgins on the other hand, is better fit for another team in need of veteran presence. he plays his role well, but i see burrows as the better of the two, but higgins is a complete team guy-- if the team wants to send him to the minors; at this point in his career, he won't protest the move, since the team already has an alex burrows

Him and Higgins can go and lead Utica to a championship down there. Eat the cap space no one is going to pick them up when waived. Put Grenier or Gaunce to develop with the big club move a defenseman to 4th line (Pedan).. 

We need fresh blood and can't afford another lack lustre season from our old gaurd. 

Maybe clear some of the refereeing stigmata off our team to boot.

7 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Him and Higgins can go and lead Utica to a championship down there. Eat the cap space no one is going to pick them up when waived. Put Grenier or Gaunce to develop with the big club move a defenseman to 4th line (Pedan).. 

We need fresh blood and can't afford another lack lustre season from our old gaurd. 

Maybe clear some of the refereeing stigmata off our team to boot.

In case you didn't notice, it was injuries that made our season so bad, causing us to blood 8 untried youngsters. Burrows scored 22 points which while not great was a decent effort considering where he played.

Fresh blood is only needed when it can show up every night and put in a decent shift, that was part of our problem last season.

Burr had only 49 pm that was only 5 more than Jake who played 24 LESS games.

Archived