The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[TRADE] Teravainen & Bickell to Carolina

Just now, LaBamba said:

It's a highly exaggerated version of my perception of Jim Benning. I think he is a highly interesting and funny character to be honest. I wish I could draw really good because he is a cartoon waiting to happen. 

That's decidedly less toxic a way of putting it than you have though.

It's one thing to think he's quirky, it's another thing to consistently be slagging him as incompetent.

4 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

It's a highly exaggerated version of my perception of Jim Benning. I think he is a highly interesting and funny character to be honest. I wish I could draw really good because he is a cartoon waiting to happen. 

Oh the irony...

Just now, c00kies said:

TT seemed to be a bit rushed, and I think he needs to bulk up a bit. I hope Carolina plays him in the AHL if he's not ready to handle the NHL.

He called the AHL not his type of hockey - he was really unhappy to spend time there.

13 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Maybe Carolina thought he was good enough for a pick?

Lol no. Chicago tried to trade bickell himself all last year with no takers and he was put on waivers twice last year with no takers. He's a pure cap dump that carolina can afford since they need to reach the cap floor.  They just underpaid for teuvo for taking bickell's contract.  

That's how bad chicago's cap situation was. Bickell only has 1 more year on his deal like burrows for a similar amount.  Chicago would rather trade a top prospect in teuvo over even buying out bickell's final year because the hawks need all their capspace for 2017-2018 too. I'm not crying for chicago though. 3 cups is a very fair tradeoff for being in cap hell!

1 minute ago, theminister said:

That's decidedly less toxic a way of putting it than you have though.

It's one thing to think he's quirky, it's another thing to consistently be slagging him as incompetent.

I just always picture him in his office sweating and franticly moving players around on his life size NHL lineup wall he has. 

45 minutes ago, Pears said:

And people thought the McCann trade was bad. 

It was bad... The 33rd pick that the Canucks gave up, all on its own, probably would've been enough to fetch both Bickell and Teravainen. Canucks would've still owned McCann and the 4th pick that we surrendered.

Just now, LaBamba said:

I just always picture him in his office sweating and franticly moving players around on his life size NHL lineup wall he has. 

I've met him and he's the opposite of frantic so I would say your picture is highly distorted. 

Despite people having a hard time figuring out his strategy, he's a very methodical and keen hockey mind, even if not overly articulate or verbose, who exudes class with how he conducts himself. 

It would be cool if the fan base emulated that too. 

2 minutes ago, CHYCHRUN said:

It was bad... The 33rd pick that the Canucks gave up, all on its own, probably would've been enough to fetch both Bickell and Teravainen. Canucks would've still owned McCann and the 4th pick that we surrendered.

And not had a 24 year old top 4 D. 

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Maybe Carolina thought he was good enough for a pick?

Not sure which "he" you are referring to. Are talking about Bickell or Burrows? If Bickell, he had negative value in this trade.  If Burrows, I think he can be had for a low pick. After all, Canucks is not in cap hell like Chicago was.

2 minutes ago, theminister said:

I've met him and he's the opposite of frantic so I would say your picture is highly distorted. 

Despite people having a hard time figuring out his strategy, he's a very methodical and keen hockey mind, even if not overly articulate or verbose, who exudes class with how he conducts himself. 

It would be cool if the fan base emulated that too. 

How fun is that?

18 minutes ago, gobi said:

Chicago did not want any roster players back due to cap space so they wouldn't want Granlund. And I think Chicago would rather take a chance on a draft pick than Grenier.

Well I'd give them the draft picks. Regardless, I would've easily dished out those draft picks for Teuvo easily.

And yes, they would be next years draft picks. 

This seems like a steep price to dump a contract that only has one year left.  The Bickell buyout wouldn't have been that bad given his salary was higher than his cap hit.  Buyout cap hit of 1mil this upcoming season, 1.5mil the one following. Travainen is a damn good young defenseman, exactly what Chicago needs to keep relevant.  Quebec..errrr, Carolina must be very happy.

2 minutes ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

This seems like a steep price to dump a contract that only has one year left.  The Bickell buyout wouldn't have been that bad given his salary was higher than his cap hit.  Buyout cap hit of 1mil this upcoming season, 1.5mil the one following. Travainen is a damn good young defenseman, exactly what Chicago needs to keep relevant.  Quebec..errrr, Carolina must be very happy.

TT is a forward.

16 minutes ago, CHYCHRUN said:

Our defense was atrocious both defensively AND offensively last year. I think the trade was necessary. If you think about it, a 2nd on its own isn't worth much. McCann on it's own isn't worth as much as Canucks fans would like to think either.  Gudbranson is pretty good value for two of those pieces together. Together they're not worth as much as you'd like them to, at least not as much what Edmonton gave up for Reinhart who is also a former defenseman that is a top 5 pick. 

Any way you want to slice it, we have the Torts second or our own 2nd from next year. To get Teuvo, I would easily throw in a 3-7th round pick to get the deal done. 

13 minutes ago, theminister said:
8 minutes ago, suitup said:
2 minutes ago, suitup said:

Our defense was atrocious both defensively AND offensively last year. I think the trade was necessary. If you think about it, a 2nd on its own isn't worth much. McCann on it's own isn't worth as much as Canucks fans would like to think either.  Gudbranson is pretty good value for two of those pieces together. Together they're not worth as much as you'd like them to, at least not as much what Edmonton gave up for Reinhart who is also a former defenseman that is a top 5 pick. 

The 33rd pick would've got us Teravainen and Bickell.   Chi just traded them for the 44th and a 3rd rounder in 2017.  They would've taken the 33rd overall, for sure.  So if a 2nd rounder isn't worth much, as you say, then I guess these 2 players aren't worth much.

I'm sure we could've packaged McCann and Hansen, or something else, to get Gudbranson and came out of this way ahead.

This trade today just shows you how valuable a 2nd rounder really is and Benning just tosses them around like they are cherries on top.

32 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

A clever poster from HFboards has what you are looking for:

http://benningonempty.tumblr.com/

23 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

How fun is that?

Evidently you have the bar set extremely low.

As for the trade, this is a prime example of how important capspace is, and how it's not just about resigning your own players or UFAs.  It gives a lot of options, and management has hinted as much.  Considering the coming expansion draft, it may be in our best interests to do something similar as opposed to adding another vet or two we'd have to protect and then expose some younger players.

2 minutes ago, CHYCHRUN said:

The 33rd pick would've got us Teravainen and Bickell.   Chi just traded them for the 44th and a 3rd rounder in 2017.  They would've taken the 33rd overall, for sure.  So if a 2nd rounder isn't worth much, as you say, then I guess these 2 players aren't worth much.

I'm sure we could've packaged McCann and Hansen, or something else, to get Gudbranson and came out of this way ahead.

This trade today just shows you how valuable a 2nd rounder really is and Benning just tosses them around like they are cherries on top.

Actually, what it showed is how bad a contract like Bickell's is worth. If you think a 2nd alone could fetch Teuvo then I don't know what to tell you. 

Again, look at what Edmonton paid for Reinhart. Gudbranson is established in the NHL, Reinhart is not. We paid less than them for Gudbranson. 

I highly doubt we could've packaged Hansen for Gudbranson. I just don't see convincing Hansen coming off a career year with the Sedins being willing to move for Florida. What would you propose over the 33rd in that scenario? 

5 minutes ago, CHYCHRUN said:

I think your math is really quite bad if you say we would come out ahead in that scenario, especially since you include Hansen going the other way, even if that would be true of Florida's perspective which i don't think it would be. They weren't wanting another contract back on top of McCann, so your logic fails there IMO.

Gudbranson, Bickell, TT for McCann, Hansen, 33rd, ++

Regardless, it's endemic to judge one GM for what another GM does especially when the whole picture has not been decided and we don't know what other moves the team has in store. It's possible that they knew the price on this trade and weren't interested in the players.

Archived