The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Kuzma: Canucks still trying to 'figure out' best plan for pending UFA Hamhuis

AlwaysACanuckFan

6 minutes ago, lmm said:

Am I the only one who does not hate Sbisa?

I was not impressed with his contract, however, I think he had a decent season last year.  Far better than Bartkowski or Weber but on this board he sounds like he is lumped in with those two. If you compare stats at the same age, Sbisa compares closely with Hutton, who many have set as a no-doubt 2nd pair D-man with Gudbranson. At a similar age Sbisa scored 24 points also and he was not -21.  

I think many on cdc need to temper their expectations of Ben Hutton. He had a good rookie season, but he is not a lock for 2nd pairing,imo.

The only sure thing I see with this roster at this point is Edler, Tanev and Gudbranson will be top 3. After that Sbisa might be the next best D if he steps up, or it could be Hutton or Hamhius could re-sign and take the spot.

You all remember how good Phaneuf looked in his rookie season? Too much expectation is bad.

I think the best thing for Sbisa would be a defined role. Like Gudbranson said he found his spot was not going to be the offensive D but he has excelled once he found where he fit.

I like sbisa and his contract is market value.  He's a very solid #5-6 guy who can move up when the occassion calls for it.  The people who don't like him are the usual trolls here, for the most part.

4 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

No team is taking a chance on Sbisa with that caphit. Not giving up picks or cheap youth at any rate. Best we could do is trade ugly contracts. 

You guys are drunk and/or time travelers from the past. Sbisa's contract is NOWHERE near as bad as so many like to make it out to be.

In 2016, it's a normal/market value contract for a young, fast, physical 4/5 D contract. It's not a good/home town discount in anyway but it's not the boat anchor you guys make it out to be.

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

OK.

How about our 5th + Sbisa for ARZ, 7th, 20th and 3rd rounder?::D

I know this is a joke but if I'm a team with cap, Sbisa's entire contract is pretty low on my shopping list. 

kind of sucks, the clowns didn't trade him at TDL, they held on to him saying he is our leader, we didn't find a partner (cough cough dallas)  blah blah blah lie lie lie lie lie lie times 1000000000000000000 bazillion

Now they can't even resign a guy (BC player) Wants to play here- stated many times- can't even negotiate a contract with Hamhuis who is honestly important piece on our back-end whether anyone admits it or not. Instead they will go with Lucas Sbisa and lose Hammer for nothing, even if they trade his rights they will get a freaking 6th rounder or 5th rounder and somehow Linden will say things like oh we got a great deal. 

This is sad if they don't resign hamhuis, bc player, wants to stay here and they cannot get this deal done lol 

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

I like sbisa and his contract is market value.  He's a very solid #5-6 guy who can move up when the occassion calls for it.  The people who don't like him are the usual trolls here, for the most part.

Whether his contract is market value or not is irrelevant. It's still a lot of money to eat and submit picks for. A deal for Sbisa will be an exchange of players as the groundwork. 

7 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

kind of sucks, the clowns didn't trade him at TDL, they held on to him saying he is our leader, we didn't find a partner (cough cough dallas)  blah blah blah lie lie lie lie lie lie times 1000000000000000000 bazillion

Now they can't even resign a guy (BC player) Wants to play here- stated many times- can't even negotiate a contract with Hamhuis who is honestly important piece on our back-end whether anyone admits it or not. Instead they will go with Lucas Sbisa and lose Hammer for nothing, even if they trade his rights they will get a freaking 6th rounder or 5th rounder and somehow Linden will say things like oh we got a great deal. 

This is sad if they don't resign hamhuis, bc player, wants to stay here and they cannot get this deal done lol 

Hamhuis didn't want to go anywhere at the TDL, so he gave 1-2 teams at the 11th hour. Benning wasn't going to accept a peanuts for him, he's worth more than that, and DAL went with Russell anyway. Sure Hamhuis wants to get re-signed in VAN, and I believe Benning will try to trade LUCA Sbisa, then re-sign Hamhuis. Keep Calm and Believe in Benning.

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hamhuis didn't want to go anywhere at the TDL, so he gave 1-2 teams at the 11th hour. Benning wasn't going to accept a peanuts for him, he's worth more than that, and DAL went with Russell anyway. Sure Hamhuis wants to get re-signed in VAN, and I believe Benning will try to trade LUCA Sbisa, then re-sign Hamhuis. Keep Calm and Believe in Benning.

not a chance, benning will probably trade Horvat before trading his rough tough nosed giveaway king Sbisa.

11 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Pearn gone. Not sure what he can really take credit for other than blind dodgeball.

Gulutzan can take some credit for the pk, but he was given some very good pk-ers to work with the last couple seasons.

Really? You are going to judge the coaching staff based on that? Are you aware that behind the scenes they put more time in than the players at the rink? They spend hours everyday as a coaching staff all contributing in ways you are unaware of.  This is a topic that is ridiculous to comment on because the public does not have a clue what goes on behind closed doors or even what they bring to the table individually as you even mention in your post "not sure what he can take credit for".

10 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

The Hamhuis quote is beyond confusing. This follows after Kuzma mentioned the Goligoski trade for a pick, and reads as follows: 

To paraphrase, we would like to trade him for a pick, but haven't had any calls. The situation is still 'fluid' and we might sign him if we don't get other players that would make us better. Real commitment there JB. 

What should he say, "I have no intention of signing him as I've long looked forward to the day that he's no longer on the team"?

Personally, I think that this is the case.  When Benning talks about the team having trouble containing the cycle game, he's talking about Hamhuis.  But even if you take him at his word, Hammer is plan C at best.

2 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Good call.  Most GM's don't even care if they pick in first round.  A young franchise goalie just landed the 30th pick, so Sbisa can probably land the 25th by himself.

30th and a 2nd rounder... if you want to act smart you should get your facts straight :picard:

14 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Good call.  Most GM's don't even care if they pick in first round.  A young franchise goalie just landed the 30th pick, so Sbisa can probably land the 25th by himself.

Plus, we would move Sbisa's contract.  

11 hours ago, ajhockey said:

I'll tell you what to do.

1) Trade Hammer's rights for a late-round pick.

2) Sign him anyways on July 1.

This is why would couldn't trade him @ the deadline though. Teams already know there's a slim chance he resigns with em. 

NO chance we sign Hamhuis.

The guy is too old and too soft now on D.  No offense from him. Not intimidating or tough to place against.

Thanks for the great service the last few years but we are rebuilding our club.

Good luck where you end up signing.

Maybe would have been different if he would have helping out his club at the TDL.

All the best on your next club. 

21 minutes ago, Freeridebc said:

This is why would couldn't trade him @ the deadline though. Teams already know there's a slim chance he resigns with em. 

I don't know about that.  Usually these UFAs have value at the TDL because teams don't have to carry the contract past the season.  I heard our owner got involved and messed up any trade.

Archived