The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

10 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Then comes the non sequitur ad hominem finisher.  Simply stop making false accusations to suit your narrative and there won't be any problem.

Then comes the meh meh meh meh you're wrong I'm better than you without ONCE addressing the actual post or just simply saying, i see your point.  You're to good for that kind of humility

Gods you're insufferably arrogant.  Seriously, how do you even manage to get around in your daily life without getting spit on

You cannot read an entire post, You jump to conclusions, You cannot handle being put in your place you create some long rambling diatribe full of words that are meant to intimidate the peasants and STILL ignore the root of the initial post that cost you some small measure of satisfaction.

Again, carry on being better than everyone.  Maybe today is the day someone will give you the respect you so crave

Edited by Warhippy

MT has 23 points - 3 points more than Sutter-  and would be tied with Bears at 4th on our team scoring.

If we had his points we would be talking wildcard probably.

OJ looked flat in Penticton and training camp and is so-so at the worlds.

Not going to hate on him I'm hoping for a Lumme/Tanev (with a shot).

It's the timing of taking a D man when we saw Biega and Tryamkin finishing strong last year.

We now have too many D prospects and need to take the BPA at forward.

* During the draft I was 75% sold on MT as a prospect but gave him a solid bump because of his style and similarity to his dad which is what our smallish forwards needed. A big body that isn't AFRAID to go to the net.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I'm not afraid to admit anything.

I just hate when people are clearly upset about not having a certain prospect so they start making up dumb excuses about how that prospect wouldn't succeed in Vancouver because (insert dumb excuse here).  It's just one of the many things that really "grinds my gears".  Ya know?  

I haven't quite seen Olli play enough to make my assessment of him and at no point have I said I prefer Tkatchuk over him.  Defenseman are way to hard to predict, but his high IQ is a good starter.  He is not known to be a gym rat and I hope that changes, I will also be disappointed if his point totals are not close to PPG. 

'Wouldn't succeed' is a bit strong. I doubt he'd be having the same level of success without the likes of Monahan, Elf-boy, Giordano etc to play with. He'd still likely be on pace for 35+ points here though.

Also would have caused issue with our LW depth. Would he have even displaced Daniel/Baer/Granlund or would he have been back in Jr...?

Reardless, they're both likely to be good NHL players. There's no need to pit one against the other as though there was a definitive right or wrong choice. Especially at this stage. Reality dictates we could only pick one.

12 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

It is far too early to tell. But for those who wanted a defencemen with the pick, shouldn't the premature debate be between Juolevi and Chychrun?

7 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

For defense I preferred Segiechev.

Chych has the lowest likely ceiling (#2 IMO) but pretty safe bet to be at least a #4.

Serg has the highest ceiling but also highest bust factor. Could be anything from a #1 to a 8th D/ AHL'er. If he makes it, he'll be damn good but I'm not sure we could afford the risk (or backlash) if he doesn't.

Juolevi is likely a #2, with an outside shot at #1 and almost certainly no worse than #3 (short of a major derailment) IMO, and was the smartest D in the draft. Can't teach that (and the ability to read the play). He's got time to add strength and add more outright speed to his already smooth skating.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

Raymond still plays?  Is he on a Euro team?

Raymond did not play this year despite offers from Euro teams. Part of that was due to family-related reasons as his wife was ill. But he was invited to play on the Spengler Cup team, played well and apparently had a great time. Is apparently considering playing in Europe next year.

32 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

It is far too early to tell. But for those who wanted a defencemen with the pick, shouldn't the premature debate be between Juolevi and Chychrun?

None of the big 3 D should be in the NHL right now.  I'm really surprise ARZ kept Chychrun in the NHL, but I guess that says more about the yotes d depth.  Teams haven't been easy on him, he's been getting run quite a bit and even left the game twice due to injuries a few weeks back against the Oilers.  I think another year of the OHL would have benefited him and allowed his shoulder to heal more.  

Sergachev and Juolevi aren't having the greatest WJC this year in terms of production but both are having decent years back in the ohl. 

We will have to likely wait another 3-4 years before we really start to see how they all turn out. 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Chych has the lowest likely ceiling (#2 IMO) but pretty safe bet to be at least a #4.

Serg has the highest ceiling but also highest bust factor. Could be anything from a #1 to a 8th D/ AHL'er. If he makes it, he'll be damn good but I'm not sure we could afford the risk (or backlash) if he doesn't.

Juolevi is likely a #2, with an outside shot at #1 and almost certainly no worse than #3 (short of a major derailment) IMO, and was the smartest D in the draft. Can't teach that (and the ability to read the play). He's got time to add strength and add more outright speed to his already smooth skating.

I'd say Juolevi is most likely going to be a 3 or 4 Dmen based on where most 4-6 D picks end up (nothing about him personally, rather just the baserate). And I don't think he has shown enough this year to warrant being bumped up into a top 2 projection (although it isn't out of the realm of possibilities). 

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

None of the big 3 D should be in the NHL right now.  I'm really surprise ARZ kept Chychrun in the NHL, but I guess that says more about the yotes d depth.  Teams haven't been easy on him, he's been getting run quite a bit and even left the game twice due to injuries a few weeks back against the Oilers.  I think another year of the OHL would have benefited him and allowed his shoulder to heal more.  

Sergachev and Juolevi aren't having the greatest WJC this year in terms of production but both are having decent years back in the ohl. 

We will have to likely wait another 3-4 years before we really start to see how they all turn out. 

Yup, it will most definitely be a 'wait and see'. Although I am not too happy with Juolevi production in the OHL this year, I was hoping for a bit more. 

2 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

I'd say Juolevi is most likely going to be a 3 or 4 Dmen based on where most 4-6 D picks end up (nothing about him personally, rather just the baserate). And I don't think he has shown enough this year to warrant being bumped up into a top 2 projection (although it isn't out of the realm of possibilities). 

Yup, it will most definitely be a 'wait and see'. Although I am not too happy with Juolevi production in the OHL this year, I was hoping for a bit more. 

I'm looking at the player, not where he was drafted.

Kid is too smart IMO to 'just' be a #4 (short of the aforementioned derailment). Combine that with being one of the youngest guys drafted and having a very projectable frame and I see him as a nice complimentary #2 in his prime if his development stays on track.

But yes, anything resembling a definitive assessment will take years.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I'm looking at the player, not where he was drafted.

Kid is too smart IMO to 'just' be a #4 (short of the aforementioned derailment). Combine that with being one of the youngest guys drafted and having a very projectable frame and I see him as a nice complimentary #2 in his prime if his development stays on track.

But yes, anything resembling a definitive assessment will take years.

I guess we will have to wait and see. It was definitely a risky pick at 5. I hope it works out.

FYI, base rates are very useful for projections (and it's worthwhile to point out that each player is an individual player). 

5 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

I guess we will have to wait and see. It was definitely a risky pick at 5. I hope it works out.

FYI, base rates are very useful for projections (and it's worthwhile to point out that each player is an individual player). 

I think it was actually a very low risk pick (roughly on par with MT). Sergachev would have been risky.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I think it was actually a very low risk pick (roughly on par with MT). Sergachev would have been risky.

I agree Sergachev would've also been a risky pick. Anytime you take a nonconsensus Dman that high it has a lot of risk. Tkachuck, Nylander and Keller would've all been safer picks in my books. 

I think Juolevi was a real scouts, eyeballs, pick. Not to say his numbers were bad. But they weren't outstanding compared to other possible selections and it is difficult to gauge a Dman's contribution when they play on an exceptional team like London was last year. 

Just now, baumerman77 said:

I agree Sergachev would've also been a risky pick. Anytime you take a nonconsensus Dman that high it has a lot of risk. Tkachuck, Nylander and Keller would've all been safer picks in my books. 

I think Juolevi was a real scouts, eyeballs, pick. Not to say his numbers were bad. But they weren't outstanding compared to other possible selections and it is difficult to gauge a Dman's contribution when they play on an exceptional team like London was last year. 

Tkachuck is roughly on par risk IMO. 

Keller are both riskier IMO. Especially Nylander.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Tkachuck is roughly on par risk IMO. 

Keller are both riskier IMO. Especially Nylander.

I wasn't huge on Tkachuck myself. His age and also playing on that same London team with great teammates made me skeptical. But for me tie goes to the forward for being less risky. 

2 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

I wasn't huge on Tkachuck myself. His age and also playing on that same London team with great teammates made me skeptical. But for me tie goes to the forward for being less risky. 

I think OJ is a better (long term) player. Risk is about =.

1 hour ago, baumerman77 said:

he's increased his scoring, significantly, from last year..........how would you not be happy about that?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

he's increased his scoring, significantly, from last year..........how would you not be happy about that?

On a worse/less offensive team in which he's been tasked to play a larger defensive role on.

A lot of people seem to underrate him.

• Upvote 1

Just now, J.R. said:

On a worse/less offensive team in which he's been tasked to play a larger defensive role on.

A lot of people seem to underrate him.

Honestly, I was pushing for Tkachuk because at #5, a dman is a big gamble and Tkachuk brought a lot of things I think the Nucks needed.  that said, if OJ can reach his ceiling, it's much higher than Tkachuk, imo.

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I expected a little more. I know his team is worse than last year. I think his traditional stats are a little inflated with noise. 

His primary points per game (5v5) is at .31 which I was hoping would be a bit higher (but not horrible). And his shots per game 5v5 (I think a very important measure for junior defensemen) is only at .88 which is 89th for defensemen in the OHL, that is disappointing.