The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

I think it's important to take into account London's track record for developing defensemen for the NHL. If all goes well, he'll end up similar to Maatta imo. 

Maatta was laken late first round though, not top five.  

20 minutes ago, guntrix said:

I think it's important to take into account London's track record for developing defensemen for the NHL. If all goes well, he'll end up similar to Maatta imo. 

Clearly. 

I mean every centre they've ever developed is exactly like Horvat, right? 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maatta was laken late first round though, not top five.  

It doesn't really matter when  player was drafted,  you can still be the same caliber.  Lidstrom was drafted in the third round but I'd kill for him to be that good lol. If he becomes a regular in the nhl then that's a good thing. Anything more is a great thing. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, cyoung said:

It doesn't really matter when  player was drafted,  you can still be the same caliber.  Lidstrom was drafted in the third round but I'd kill for him to be that good lol. If he becomes a regular in the nhl then that's a good thing. Anything more is a great thing. 

IMO Maatta = basement, Lidstrom = ceiling. Likely he falls somewhere in the middle.

Edited by J.R.

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Wow you're really going out on a limb on this one.  Very bold of you 

It's pretty much been my assessment from the start. 

If he exceeds expectations, we get Lidstrom 2.0 or a close approximation. If he doesn't meet them, we get a solid #4 guy. I most likely think we end up with a solid, complimentary #2 D who's better than Tanev but not quite the #1 we'd all love to have.

Just now, The 5th Line said:

Okay but that's like me saying Bo Horvat's ceiling is Gretzky and his floor is Monahan.  You can't use one of the best players of all time for a comparison and you can't use a 22 year old as a comparison either. It's just silly 

But Horvat isn't remotely like Gretzky. Monahan's a bit closer but still not really a direct comparable.

Lidstrom and Maatta are in fact 'comparables' to OJ. Though I think he'll (unsurprisingly) fall short of the first but ahead of the latter.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Okay but that's like me saying Bo Horvat's ceiling is Gretzky and his floor is Monahan.  You can't use one of the best players of all time for a comparison and you can't use a 22 year old as a comparison either. It's just silly 

This just in

Olli Maata now considered one of the greatest players of all time

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, J.R. said:

It's pretty much been my assessment from the start. 

If he exceeds expectations, we get Lidstrom 2.0 or a close approximation. If he doesn't meet them, we get a solid #4 guy. I most likely think we end up with a solid, complimentary #2 D who's better than Tanev but not quite the #1 we'd all love to have.

I think that's fair

Juolevi's thought processing on the ice has been compared to Lidstrom by Dale Hunter and numerous scouts.  He's also been compared to a more complete Olli Maata who is currently a top 4 player on one of the best teams in the league.

It's not an unfair assessment to say ok, scouts and analysts said this so that's where he should be.  It is an unfair assessment to $&!#e all over that while being a literal nobody on a hockey forum without actually adding ANYTHING constructive to the conversation though

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Clearly. 

I mean every centre they've ever developed is exactly like Horvat, right? 

They've developed plenty of forwards. How many defenders though? I can only think of Maatta right now. Funny enough, he just recently came out of the Knights and is also a think-first, finesse defender. Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe they revamped their defensive program, idk. 

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

IMO Maatta = basement, Lidstrom = ceiling. Likely he falls somewhere in the middle.

Wait, Maatta = basement? :blink:

Haven't we learned enough from overhyping certain prospects? (Such as that one I'm not gonna mention so the flame war doesn't spill onto this thread). 

I hear these so called "experts" (pfft as if they know mroe than the people on this forum am I right?) and I almost get excited.  Before realizing we should have drafted Tkachuk because people said so without once factoring in this teams needs in 5 years on the back end and instead only looking at the RIGHT FRIGGING NOW

Olli Juolevi of the London Knights is an incredibly competent player who makes the game look easy in all areas. He makes the essential and key plays at every turn. He shows mastery of his position under the most challenging of circumstances, and his poised, calm demeanour are the stuff of pillar-type defencemen.

Craig Button, TSN

Very sturdily built D-man that leans into his hits, competes hard, and possesses elite-level vision and hockey sense. Looks stronger game-by-game and adapts very quickly to his surroundings and situations. Scouts liken Olli Juolevi to Olli Maatta of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Both are fluid skaters and have deep-rooted understandings of their position. Both have tremendous skill and talent, and both will go far in their careers.

Curtis Joe, Elite Prospects

This smart, composed two-way blue liner plays the game in a very mature, experience manner. He is calm and focused although sometimes he could play with a tad more urgency in his own zone. He is strong in his one-on one defensive play using his stick and positioning to break-up plays. His passing ability is elite for his age and he is strong at moving the puck. He generates impressive speeds with a strong, balance stride and good agility to keep up to attacking forwards.

Future Considerations

Smart two-way defender with size. Fluid skating stride with quickness and speed. Very effective running PP, has a very high panic threshold when being pressured. Not physical, relies on body positioning and a good stick to defend. Very good skater with mobility, good gap control and pivots.  He has solid point production this year, which is due to the way he reads the ice so well and finds the open man.  Equally as good on defense as he is on offense. Close to being NHL ready. Still needs to get stronger physically as he has a lanky frame.

ISS Hockey 

While he’s not overwhelmingly physical like fellow top prospect Jakob Chychrun, Juolevi’s calm demeanor and active defensive presence is reminiscent of Hall of Fame defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom.

Curtis Joe, Elite Prospects

A competitive spark plug, Olli Juolevi is a complete, all-around defenceman who can hem the opposition in their own end or make things difficult for the opposition at home; either way, he puts the pressure on and lays it on thick. A strong and balanced skater, he can rush the puck through the neutral zone with ease or backcheck with haste. Uses his size to his advantage, but knows his physical limits and plays within them. Instead of playing overly physical, he makes his presence felt by exhibiting his high-end playmaking ability and puck possession play. All-in-all, a well-rounded blue-liner who thrives under pressure and can be trusted in all situations.

Future Considerations

Safe and steady defender who has offensive flair to his game. Can drive the play forward, is a smooth skater and comes up big in high-intensity situations. Offensively gifted forward with good defensive instincts, Juolevi will need to play more physically down low.

Mark Edwards, Hockey Prospect Black Book

One of my favourite players in this draft. From my first viewing this season in the Knights pre-season, right through to some outstanding performances in the playoffs, Olli impressed me. He’s so smart and so poised, those tools along with his great feet and vision make him my number one defenseman in this draft. It was tight between Olli and Sergachev for me earlier this season but Juolevi pulled away the last few months and became my clear-cut top Dman.

All this while being 17 years old during his draft season/tournaments.  Only increased in every category since his draft as an 18 year old 

Not sure wtf these "experts" are talking about, it's like they're writing fake news and lies to get us excited about a guy who is obviously going to be the next Cam Barker.  But hey, look at Tkachuk right?

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

What the hell are you going off about?  You blow everything way out of proportion, you are involved in pillow fights in almost every thread and you are littering this place with unnecesarily long rants about nothingness.  

I said it's silly to expect Juolevi to ever reach Lidstroms ceiling..this is a public forum and that is my opinion....am I not allowed to speak unless my name is Bob McKenzie?  I'm not saying Olli isn't going to be a good player, I really don't know why you are throwing such a hissy fit

I asked for Hunters quote on Juolevi, did you find it?

When one of the Canucks fans expresses a legitimate, reasonable opinion,

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Wow you're really going out on a limb on this one.  Very bold of you 

and you choose to belittle it because you like to be obnoxious, what exactly do you expect to happen?

• Upvote 1

Just because Tkachuk is having success in CAL doesn't mean he would have had that good of success here. At least right off the bat. Knowing Willie Tkachuk would have been stapled on our fourth line with Chaput and Skille. Our team has enough problems scoring Tkachuk has what 31PTS in CAL. You think he would have 31 on the Canucks when Horvat and Henrik have 32. Yeah right Tkachuk would be lucky to have 15 here as he wouldn't be on the PP. Overall EDM CAL may have got the Forwards they wanted but  but in the playoffs you need Goaltending and defence. We have both. They have 0. EDM has Talbot but IMO he's a lower-end starter.

• Upvote 4