The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

17 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Disagree, thought his D+1 was poor. Didn't see any improvements by his perferomnce in training camp. Didn't see any improvement by his numbers staying the same in London.

We'll see how he looks this upcoming training camp with a season playing against men under his belt. Expecting a fantatstic showing and him to make the team or show at least he is ready.

I disagree completely, look at how strong London was during his draft year obviously when their top players graduated his offensive numbers were gonna go down. They also played him in a different role to shelter a budding Bouchard (will most likely be a top 10 this year). You need to learn more about circumstances. Obviously I would of liked it if he produced more but given the situation it was hard to improve his offensive numbers. Stop being so ignorant, it's like talking to a wall. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Yes and for top five picks the hope would be that they would be ready by two years.

It really shouldn't take that long IMO and history shows that if you want a future impact player.

The hope is they come in immediately and thrive. But come back to earth buddy. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Why would there be a set time for development?  You draft a player for the player he will be in his prime, not the player he will be in 3 years.  

You can look a the history of top 5 picks and see that most high end top defenseman are in the NHL in at least there D+2 years, however if you look at the top defenseman in the league regardless of draft postion you will see that plenty of them took much longer that 2 years to make the NHL.  It really doesn't matter where they were picked, it matter where they end up in the long run.  

Yes it does matter where they were picked. If you're picked in the top 5 you should have considerbly higher standards and expectations compared to propects picked in the mid rounds. 

Just beacuse PK Subban took 3 years and now is Norris Calibre, doesn't mean i can excuse Juolevi's, imo, rocky development so far and say "who cares about right now it only matters in the end, look at these other d-men who took 3-4 years!" when those d-men have had excellent deveolpment years leading to their Norris status.

Just now, R.Dahlin26 said:

Remember this is a top 5 pick not a 3rd round pick.

It really shouldn't take more than 2 years for your top 5 picks to start contributing.

So he's NOT "contributing"?  Sorry, but most of your posts are just trolling and this is outright foolishness.  Unfortunately people keep taking the bait, as it was in the Virtanen forum with 5th Line and The Frog.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

So he's NOT "contributing"?  Sorry, but most of your posts are just trolling and this is outright foolishness.  Unfortunately people keep taking the bait, as it was in the Virtanen forum with 5th Line and The Frog.

Whadya think? Dupe account or someone equally as obtuse? :lol:

5 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Yes it does matter where they were picked. If you're picked in the top 5 you should have considerbly higher standards and expectations compared to propects picked in the mid rounds. 

Just beacuse PK Subban took 3 years and now is Norris Calibre, doesn't mean i can excuse Juolevi's, imo, rocky development so far and say "who cares about right now it only matters in the end, look at these other d-men who took 3-4 years!" when those d-men have had excellent deveolpment years leading to their Norris status.

I think the kid thought it was going to be easy and didn't work hard in his D+1 year.  It must have been a shock to him when Green told him that his effort just wasn't good enough.  I think it would help him to see how hard players like the Sedins and Horvat really do work.

Now he's playing catch up.  Hopefully Salo is giving him a reality check.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

If you disagree attack the argument not the poster. I could go to everything that I don't like to hear and say "you're just trolling" but I'd rather debate like these discussion boards are for.

This is a prospect who has had a rocky development so far and it's not the end of the world to acknowledge it.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Whadya think? Dupe account or someone equally as obtuse? :lol:

Funny you should ask.  I was just thinking, maybe CalgaryPuck commissioned 5thLine to come in here and endlessly troll us over Virtanen, and now they've sent this guy to troll us over Juolevi.  What makes it apparent something's up is that he posts so much that eventually he makes some really, and I mean REALLY obviously dumb comments.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

If you disagree attack the argument not the poster. I could go to everything that I don't like to hear and say "you're just trolling" but I'd rather debate like these discussion boards are for.

Look a few posts up -- someone posted just a few examples of your "contributions".  Sorry, I won't be your Alf-like troll-playmate, go have fun with the others.

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Funny you should ask.  I was just thinking, maybe CalgaryPuck commissioned 5thLine to come in here and endlessly troll us over Virtanen, and now they've sent this guy to troll us over Juolevi.  What makes it apparent something's up is that he posts so much that eventually he makes some really, and I mean REALLY obviously dumb comments.

Lol so you're sensitive beacuse of Virtanen?

Relax a little criticism that is IMO warranted for a prospect isn't going to kill you

It's extremely cringe when I see grown ass men use the word "Troll" or childish picture memes on a hockey disscusiion board.

If you don't like my posts no ones making you enter this thread forcing you to read them.

5 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Having higher standards and expectations doesn't really relate to how long it takes until your in the NHL though.  You have high standards and expectations on how good that player will be in the long run at their peak.  You can take examples of other players to show that most successful top 5 picks were in the NHL in their D+2 seasons but that isn't a rule, plenty of top drafted high end defenseman who were in the NHL within their D+2 years ended up mediocre of being busts.  There are examples of highly drafted defenseman who weren't in the NHL in their D+2 seasons.  Also looking at the top 20 best defenseman in the NHL it's littered with guys who were drafted later in the round and took plenty of time to make the NHL.  I really don't understand how or why you put so much emphasis on the time it takes for him to make the NHL.  Maybe you're expectations are too high.  Just because he was the first defeneman taken and was taken at 5th doesn't mean he has to be a #1 defenseman.  IMO if he ends up like Hamhuis or Salo who were never really top pairing defenseman than it would be considered a win.  It really comes down to who else would you have drafted at that position, a good argument could be made for Tkachuk or Sergachev.  Juolevi could still easily be as good or better than those 2, hard to compare with Tkachuk who is a winger and while Sergachev is in the NHL and putting up points he has been massively sheltered and is playing on an offensive Juggernaught of a team.  He's also been healthy scratched for looking tired and it's no guarantee he will be the better player in the long run.  See Horvat vs Nichuskin. 

Also a thing to note is that due to Juolevi's age he can't play in the AHL, many of these defenseman that were playing in their d+2 years started in the AHL and were called up.