The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

27 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Wasn’t much of a penalty, Rathbone reached for the puck and the Kraken forward couldn’t control his speed and fell down.  Weak call.  

Lol weak call?? That was a bad penalty you cant even argue that one bit.

Rathbone is playing great offensively, but he is not looking good in his own zone. OJ has been solid tonight in his own zone. He has had great gap control, good stick work, winning puck battles and getting the puck out safely. Rathbone had a bad give away, then failed to win a puck battle to a guy on the ice with 1 stick on his hand and then the puck was in the back of the net shortly after.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Rathbone is playing great offensively, but he is not looking good in his own zone. OJ has been solid tonight in his own zone. He has had great gap control, good stick work, winning puck battles and getting the puck out safely. Rathbone had a bad give away, then failed to win a puck battle to a guy on the ice with 1 stick on his hand and then the puck was in the back of the net shortly after.

He’s been okay, but he needs to be A LOT better to be a full time NHLet.  

1 hour ago, knucklehead91 said:

Sooo like how come Rathbone only got 8 games bud?

Where was he all season?

One word. Politics.  This year politics won’t work.  Rathbone’s the better player and deserves the spot.  They gave Juolevi EVERY chance.  You can’t say they didn’t.  

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

I don't think this game is great for judging young defensemen. It's pretty difficult to look good with this forward group:

Hoglander - Petan - Boeser

Di Giuseppe - Dickinson - Klimovich

Dries - Highmore - Lockwood

Arseneau - Stevens - Rempal

Outside of Hoglander, Boeser and Dickinson, there's not one full time NHLer. There are young guys trying to crack the NHL. There are career journeymen who flip flop between the AHL and NHL. There are even guys on AHL only contracts. And this D corp:

Rathbone - Schenn

Juolevi - Burroughs

Hunt - Bowey

If the Canucks get everyone signed/ back on the team, only one of those six guys will be on the ice by opening day. Our goaltending duo? The two of them have started a combined 0 NHL games. I laughed at the end when one of Seattle's commentators said it does not feel like a preseason game. 

Rathbone had an atrocious giveaway, but Juolevi scored the game winner on his own goalie, so... End of the day, the best LD of the night was probably Hunt.

Seattle basically iced their opening day lineup. Vancouver iced a lineup where three quarters of the guys will be in the AHL in two weeks. The Canucks will go with a more veteran lineup tomorrow, hopefully both Juolevi and Rathbone will be in, and that would be a much better test for them.

1 hour ago, knucklehead91 said:

My point is even if Juolevi plays at his defensive best Rathbone is still better than Juolevi….Defensively And Offensively.   And if you’re comparing penalties it doesn’t say much about Juolevi if he doesn’t have a decent amount of penalties, if he’s supposed to be a physical d he should have his share of penalties by default.  But he doesn’t compete hard enough to get penalties. That’s the issue.  

2 minutes ago, GoldenAlien said:

I don't think this game is great for judging young defensemen. It's pretty difficult to look good with this forward group:

Hoglander - Petan - Boeser

Di Giuseppe - Dickinson - Klimovich

Dries - Highmore - Lockwood

Arseneau - Stevens - Rempal

Outside of Hoglander, Boeser and Dickinson, there's not one full time NHLer. There are young guys trying to crack the NHL. There are career journeymen who flip flop between the AHL and NHL. There are even guys on AHL only contracts. And this D corp:

Rathbone - Schenn

Juolevi - Burroughs

Hunt - Bowey

If the Canucks get everyone signed/ back on the team, only one of those six guys will be on the ice by opening day. Our goaltending duo? The two of them have started a combined 0 NHL games. I laughed at the end when one of Seattle's commentators said it does not feel like a preseason game. 

Rathbone had an atrocious giveaway, but Juolevi scored the game winner on his own goalie, so... End of the day, the best LD of the night was probably Hunt.

Seattle basically iced their opening day lineup. Vancouver iced a lineup where three quarters of the guys will be in the AHL in two weeks. The Canucks will go with a more veteran lineup tomorrow, hopefully both Juolevi and Rathbone will be in, and that would be a much better test for them.

Never touched his stick bud

5 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

My point is even if Juolevi plays at his defensive best Rathbone is still better than Juolevi….Defensively And Offensively.   And if you’re comparing penalties it doesn’t say much about Juolevi if he doesn’t have a decent amount of penalties, if he’s supposed to be a physical d he should have his share of penalties by default.  But he doesn’t compete hard enough to get penalties. That’s the issue.  

What?..lmao. To play defense, win battles and not get penalties is the objective. 

Edited by Dannydog

14 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Never touched his stick bud

Call me crazy but is that not a black puck, touching the white tape of OJ's stick, before it went in?

Another replay during the game, with a better angle also suggested that OJ touched it. At least, the Seattle commentators made sure to point out that even though Juolevi touched it, Geekie would get the point.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GoldenAlien said:

Call me crazy but is that not a black puck, touching the white tape of OJ's stick, before it went in?

Another replay during the game, with a better angle also suggested that OJ touched it. At least, the Seattle commentators made sure to point out that even though Juolevi touched it, Geekie would get the point.

LOL i see that... not. post the other video thats proof. ive been looking to find it in PGT where a poster saw TSN tweet that he didnt touch it. i will continue to search

• Haha 1

Just now, GoldenAlien said:

LOL learn to track a puck or remember a TV replay, bud. 

with that video you posted..... i can see your delusion. They played more than 3 different looks at it during the game and nothing showed any deflection from his stick. good call. Wouldn't have even been a goal if the keepers stick was on the ice. 

18 minutes ago, GoldenAlien said:

Say it ain’t so Goldie.