The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Would be a terrible asset management move. But then again, what do we expect from a player like this. I agree that Juolevi wouldn't survive waivers. Another team will claim him, and he'd probably do well given the chance. Not sure what Green's logic here is. Has Olli looked so terrible that he loses a spot over Brad Hunt? If Hunt was waived would another team claim him? Probably not. Always go with the younger guy

My take is that OJ has made the squad - Green has seen a lot of him.  Hunt/Burroughs/Bowey are getting looks ''cos Green isn't sure what he has there.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Googlie said:

My take is that OJ has made the squad - Green has seen a lot of him.  Hunt/Burroughs/Bowey are getting looks ''cos Green isn't sure what he has there.

i thought the same for gadj since he didn't play much... but boy was i wrong there..

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, mordekai said:

i thought the same for gadj since he didn't play much... but boy was i wrong there..

True enough. - but I think the converse there .... Green had his mind made up from the beginning that Gadj was Abbotsford bound, so gave him a cursory look but then wanted to keep those slots clear for players he hadn't fully evaluated yet

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Googlie said:

You heard Schenn talk about all the new faces and the importance of getting to know a defensive partner well before the season starts. Others have said the same thing. In that light it seems preposterous to sit out a barely experienced Dman for most of the pre-season. 

It's apparent to me that Juolevi can't be expected to step in cold and mesh with any of the other defensemen, not just because he hasn't played with them but also because he hasn't connected with them on a personal level. And now I don't think he can. I suspect it's not just Green who can't quite hide his disdain for a fellow athlete who behaves in such an unseemly way as he did after the bag skate. He might as well have had his pants around his ankles for how it came across. 

Hard to find chemistry with anyone on any level after that, sorry to say.

Edited by frank einstein

9 hours ago, Googlie said:

I think we’ll know next game.

If OJ is in playing with Schenn or Bowey he for sure made it.

OEL Myers

Hughes Poolman

Juolevi Schenn/Bowey

On 10/4/2021 at 9:08 PM, FaninMex said:

I am sorry to tell you that there were a lot more than the 2 the Johns' highlighted. I know that is all you saw because someone in media pointed it out for you. Also, OEL was always going to show well. 

Juolevi is the better D-man because he plays D and PK. Also, OJ and Myers play well together and Myers is making the line up.

Hunt is 7th D.

The only spot on D right now is right spot with Hughes. It will either be Schenn or Bowey. 

I think we will be running with 8 d. 

Oh man. If Bowey makes the team, it means that the defensive corps isn’t that great. Wasn’t he terrible when he was in Detroit? 

Schenn isn’t exactly a top line defenseman, so if he’s playing that high up in the line up alongside Hughes, we’re probably in trouble defensively. 

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I think we’ll know next game.

If OJ is in playing with Schenn or Bowey he for sure made it.

OEL Myers

Hughes Poolman

Juolevi Schenn/Bowey

How’s Bowey performed so far? 

25 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Oh man. If Bowey makes the team, it means that the defensive corps isn’t that great. Wasn’t he terrible when he was in Detroit? 

Schenn isn’t exactly a top line defenseman, so if he’s playing that high up in the line up alongside Hughes, we’re probably in trouble defensively. 

You are a Toronto fan, aren't you? I mean have you ever posted something positive. Everything is Doom and Gloom. Smile have a little fun. Maybe your Leafs will win the cup. Maybe, it will be a Canucks v Leafs final.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

How’s Bowey performed so far? 

Solid defensively, decent skater, can make plays when he gets the chance.

I would put him ahead of Schenn if he can play like that consistently. 

He shouldn’t be judged too harshly on his time in Detroit. Those teams were brutal.

12 hours ago, frank einstein said:

You heard Schenn talk about all the new faces and the importance of getting to know a defensive partner well before the season starts. Others have said the same thing. In that light it seems preposterous to sit out a barely experienced Dman for most of the pre-season. 

It's apparent to me that Juolevi can't be expected to step in cold and mesh with any of the other defensemen, not just because he hasn't played with them but also because he hasn't connected with them on a personal level. And now I don't think he can. I suspect it's not just Green who can't quite hide his disdain for a fellow athlete who behaves in such an unseemly way as he did after the bag skate. He might as well have had his pants around his ankles for how it came across. 

I really didn't like that look with OJ, but he's been making some decent defensive plays through preseason so far and I think he'll get better with some confidence that he's on the team.  I expect he'll be on the team until he's traded.  No way they give him up through waivers.

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Poolman

Juolevi-Schenn

Rathbone will rotate in as well I think.  When Hamonic comes back, Rathbone will go down due to asset management but in all likelihood Rathbone will play lots of games because there's always injuries on the back end.

Hunt and others will not make the cut at the start of the season.  My predictions anyway....

Edited by NHL97OneTimer

13 hours ago, frank einstein said:

I recall Juolevi saying after he was drafted that he was the smartest player in his draft class, so I guess he'll be fine... ; )

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Bowey has looked pretty good in pre-season though. We're not going to have both Bowey and Schenn in the regular line-up, they're battling for the 3rd pair RD spot while the Hamonic business is up in the air

22 hours ago, Googlie said:

True enough. - but I think the converse there .... Green had his mind made up from the beginning that Gadj was Abbotsford bound, so gave him a cursory look but then wanted to keep those slots clear for players he hadn't fully evaluated yet

Chiasson's tryout was what spelled the end for Gadjovic:  a direct and more experienced competitor for the role he could have had.  Much as I put some blame on Green for his seniority bias, Benning had to be in on this too. 

2 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Chiasson's tryout was what spelled the end for Gadjovic:  a direct and more experienced competitor for the role he could have had.  Much as I put some blame on Green for his seniority bias, Benning had to be in on this too. 

At some point, Benning needs to tell Green that the AHL plugs are going to Abbotsford and that Green either needs to figure out how to use the actual NHL players or be replaced with a coach who can be trusted to set the lineup properly.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

At some point, Benning needs to tell Green that the AHL plugs are going to Abbotsford and that Green either needs to figure out how to use the actual NHL players or be replaced with a coach who can be trusted to set the lineup properly.

Agreed, and in this case he could have simply refused to sign Chiasson to the pto.  With that said, it wasn't the worst move and will probably work out alright this year, at the cost of losing Gadjovic, whatever that turns out to be.  I liked him, so I'm not letting it drop just yet.