The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Let's say these three teams offer any combination of the following and or an additional pick

Buffalo offers their 1st 2nd and next years1st? (seriously how is their prospect pool so bad?)

Arizona offers this years 1st and Merkley, Perlini Macinnis or Mayo and maybe a 2nd?

Devils offer this years 1st and Zacha, Kerfoot  and an additional pick?

These are options that keep us in the top 6 and still net us a solid return, obviously subject to change depending on level of prospect.  If we hold the 1st overall and any of these offers cross my doorstep I am seriously thinking about it

Yup. They cant take anything off the table on this one

24 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

Yup. They cant take anything off the table on this one

For the 1st overall, knowing trader Jims "scouting prowess" the lack of any significant difference between 3rd and 12th and our need for serious skilled prospect depth

I'd take almost any of those deals.

Plus, and again this is important.  How the F*** is Buffalo's prospect depth so weak

Where is @SabreFan1 to clarify this??

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Were they just waiting for the first round to officially end before confirming it or was this another ploy to slip Toronto into something that doesn't concern them?

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

For the 1st overall, knowing trader Jims "scouting prowess" the lack of any significant difference between 3rd and 12th and our need for serious skilled prospect depth

I'd take almost any of those deals.

Plus, and again this is important.  How the F*** is Buffalo's prospect depth so weak

Where is @SabreFan1 to clarify this??

Is it really that weak?  or am I missing something here. They have some great depth at center with Eichel, O'Reilly and Reinhart. Kane and Okposo on the wings. Maybe just  maybe they would trade to improve their depth on D??

4 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

Is it really that weak?  or am I missing something here. They have some great depth at center with Eichel, O'Reilly and Reinhart. Kane and Okposo on the wings. Maybe just  maybe they would trade to improve their depth on D??

You might have been missing the word "prospect".

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

They key word was prospect depth, not player depth. 

1 minute ago, gurn said:

You might have been missing the word "prospect".

I did miss that thanks. In the system is what we're talking about. They did trade a fair amount away in the Kane/Myers deal did they not. I would be ok with very little prospect depth for the Canucks if their current roster had those five forwards I just mentioned. Very solid top six in Buff. They just need to get some help on the back end

They have that Nylander kid but he's struggled in the minors which is fine considering he started the AHL as an 18 year old. They also have lots of B level prospects like Nic Baptiste and Hudson Fasching. Justin Bailey. A lot of their promising young guys have played on their roster for quite a bit. Other than Eichel and Risto, they don't really have any studs. They do have solid player depth though. Other than that I dont know much about them. 

Edited by Odd.

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

They have that Nylander kid but he's struggled in the minors which is fine considering he started the AHL as an 18 year old. They also have lots of B level prospects like Nic Baptiste and Hudson Fasching. Justin Bailey. A lot of their promising young guys have played on their roster for quite a bit. Other than Eichel, they don't really have any studs. They do have solid player depth though. Other than that I dont know much about them. 

The sad thing is after this long in the tank, we're still possibly going to be at or near that level of depth in a season or two.  I envy the youth on their roster but man that organizational depth is woeful

18 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The sad thing is after this long in the tank, we're still possibly going to be at or near that level of depth in a season or two.  I envy the youth on their roster but man that organizational depth is woeful

That team shouldn't have been where they ended. Prospect depth aside, they are a very dysfunctional team right now considering all that drama unfolding with Eichel criticizing his own teammates, Sam Reinhart being benched for an entire game for coming to practice/team meeting 5 minutes late? And the latest rumor suggesting that Eichel was the driving force behind Bylsma/Murray's firing. ROR not living up to expectations. 

Lots of players that were once regarded as highly touted players aren't living up to expectations. Girgensons, Bogosian who was supposed to be a franchise defenseman but has never played a full season, Kulikov highly touted before, Kane with a bounce back year but still not doing well. Sam Reinhart hasn't been good either for a 2nd overall pick but the jury is still out on him. 

Why's this situation so familiar, and what team does it remind me of in the past? You tell me.

Edited by Odd.

5 minutes ago, Odd. said:

That team shouldn't have been where they ended. Prospect depth aside, they are a very dysfunctional team right now considering all that drama unfolding with Eichel criticizing his own teammates, Sam Reinhart being benched for an entire game for coming to practice/team meeting 5 minutes late? And the latest rumor suggesting that Eichel was the driving force behind Bylsma/Murray's firing. ROR not living up to expectations. 

Lots of players that were once regarded as highly touted players aren't living up to expectations. Girgensons, Bogosian who was supposed to be a franchise defenseman but has never played a full season, Kulikov highly touted before, Kane with a bounce back year but still not doing well. Sam Reinhart hasn't been good either for a 2nd overall pick but the jury is still out on him. 

Why's this situation so familiar, and what team does it remind me of in the past? You tell me.

Which team(s) you mean?

Most recently Alberta comes to mind, in a small sense the Jets as well.  We're not entirely not free of guilt either.

But damn...it's hard to stomach that level of failure without any prevailing success or depth as it was.

With draft lottery night just around the corner, it's safe to say the top 2 in Patrick and Hischier are locks. The remaining 3 to round off the top 5 are open to just about 10-15 prospects that can go in any order with Makar, Middlestadt, Glass, Necas, Liljegren, Suzuki, Tippett, Pettersson, Vilardi, Yamamoto, Valimaki and many others as well. It won't surprise anyone if teams go off the board. That's why scouting is so key this year for every team. We are locked top 5 so if we drop, I assume Benning will have Vilardi, Middlestadt, Pettersson, Glass, Makar, Necas among his options. I think he will narrow it down to Pettersson, Necas, Vilardi, Middlestadt if we go 4, 5. That being said my choice would be Pettersson. He's someone ive had my eye on since we traded for Dahlen. He has instant chemistry and I believe he will be one of most successful players to come out this draft alongside Patrick, Hischier. He has nice size and skill to go along with his creativity. He makes everyone better and everyone bites off his exciting play. If we don't stick at 2, I'll happily take him and run. If we add another mid 1st by trading one of our D(Sbisa,Edler, Tanev), we can add Foote, Valimaki or possibly Liljegren if the rumors are true that he might slip. Either way, a team need to accumulate more picks every way we can. Meh, I could see our lineup being similar to this past year's but with a few tweaks:

Baer - Bo - Boeser

Sedins - Goldy

Granny - Pettersson/Hischier - Boucher

Molino - Sutter - Dorsett

Dahlen if he stays and impresses during T/C makes Sutter a valuable trade chip but not a sure thing.

Edler/Sbisa - Stecher

Hutton - Guddy

Juolevi - Tanev

Marky

Bachman

we let Miller walk if he wants more dough. If he's willing to sign for under $5 mill, Benning will be over it for sure. we have to re-sign Guddy, Bo, Rodin, and some AHLers to fill Utica up with Grenier, Billins, Rendulic among the players without contracts. We need to sign some good solid FAs for our big team as well for depth. I'm excited for this upcoming offseason. Some decisions to be made to improve the team. We're going to lose one of Sbisa/Edler so that opens the door for Benning picks like Brisebois, Neill, Olsen and defencemen in Utica in McEneny, Subban. Hopefully we are a playoff team next year as it can be quickly be built with just this offseason alone but it will take awhile and I'm ready for the team to take the challenge.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

With draft lottery night just around the corner, it's safe to say the top 2 in Patrick and Hischier are locks. The remaining 3 to round off the top 5 are open to just about 10-15 prospects that can go in any order with Makar, Middlestadt, Glass, Necas, Liljegren, Suzuki, Tippett, Pettersson, Vilardi, Yamamoto, Valimaki and many others as well. It won't surprise anyone if teams go off the board. That's why scouting is so key this year for every team. We are locked top 5 so if we drop, I assume Benning will have Vilardi, Middlestadt, Pettersson, Glass, Makar, Necas among his options. I think he will narrow it down to Pettersson, Necas, Vilardi, Middlestadt if we go 4, 5. That being said my choice would be Pettersson. He's someone ive had my eye on since we traded for Dahlen. He has instant chemistry and I believe he will be one of most successful players to come out this draft alongside Patrick, Hischier. He has nice size and skill to go along with his creativity. He makes everyone better and everyone bites off his exciting play. If we don't stick at 2, I'll happily take him and run. If we add another mid 1st by trading one of our D(Sbisa,Edler, Tanev), we can add Foote, Valimaki or possibly Liljegren if the rumors are true that he might slip. Either way, a team need to accumulate more picks every way we can. Meh, I could see our lineup being similar to this past year's but with a few tweaks:

Baer - Bo - Boeser

Sedins - Goldy

Granny - Pettersson/Hischier - Boucher

Molino? - Sutter - Dorsett

Dahlen if he stays and impresses during T/C makes Sutter a valuable trade chip but not a sure thing.

Edler/Sbisa - Stecher

Hutton - Guddy

Juolevi - Tanev

Marky

Bachman

we let Miller walk if he wants more dough. If he's willing to sign for under $5 mill, Benning will be over it for sure. we have to re-sign Guddy, Bo, Rodin, and some AHLers to fill Utica up with Grenier, Billins, Rendulic among the players without contracts. We need to sign some good solid FAs for our big team as well for depth. I'm excited for this upcoming offseason. Some decisions to be made to improve the team. We're going to lose one of Sbisa/Edler so that opens the door for Benning picks like Brisebois, Neill, Olsen and defencemen in Utica in McEneny, Subban. Hopefully we are a playoff team next year as it can be quickly be built with just this offseason alone but it will take awhile and I'm ready for the team to take the challenge.

I'm assuming you mean Sonny Milano? And how on earth did you obtain him..? 

1 minute ago, Bure fan said:

I'm assuming you mean Sonny Milano? And how on earth did you obtain him..? 

Didn't you watch the tail end of the season.... Benning sign Griffen Molino after his college season was over since he was a free agent and he showed signs of promise and his potential. Played 4th line minutes with mainly plugs like Megna and occasionally Boucher whenever Willie didn't like his defensive awareness and demoted him. Idk why you minused me... maybe you need to rewatch the last bit of the season

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Which team(s) you mean?

Most recently Alberta comes to mind, in a small sense the Jets as well.  We're not entirely not free of guilt either.

But damn...it's hard to stomach that level of failure without any prevailing success or depth as it was.

Buffalo have not made the post-season in over 6 years despite their roster filled with guys like Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen, ROR, Kane. In retrospect, Edmonton had all of these talented players like Hall, Hopkings, Eberle, Yakupov, etc, possibly even better than Buffalo's. But no competent coach, no competent management, no system, no prospect depth, all of it thrown to the wolves. All of it a waste.

I see Buffalo heading toward a similar path to Edmonton's failure. Coach/Management clearly not on the same page, core players severely under performing, weak prospect depth at all positions especially defense/goal. Core players Tyler Ennis 13 points in 51 games played (Yeah he was injured, but still not good enough), Girgensons with 16 points in 75gps, Moulson, Okposo who's one their bright spots, 38 year old Gionta who's done more than all those names above. The bottom line is, 6 years, and minimal progress whatsoever. I could go on but there's no point. They're at least 2 more years away unless something spectacular happens, brings it to 8. They don't have all around depth to be pulling a Columbus either. I would say in the last 5 years Buffalo have struggled more than Edmonton but due to poor luck have always lost out on back to back years (Ekblad 2014, McDavid 2015 > Reinhart 2014, Eichel 2015). But hey, the latter are still decent players. 2 years later, still roughly the same spot. And them trading away Zadorov, Grigorenko, and the Myers/Kane trade didn't exactly help either. At some point you have to say, when's this gonna get better? 

You are right that we are suspect to this. Maybe we could have had another chance at winning the cup if we had quality depth like LA did in 2014. Rebuild is happening now, better late than never. And a perfect time to do it too. Sedins about to turn 37, with them heading towards their twilight years. Guys like Baertschi, Horvat, Sutter, Boeser, Hutton, etc holding down the fort for now. 

I think management can look to Edmonton, Toronto pre Shanahan/Lou, etc and be sure not to copy the same mistakes they did. They have Tampa, Columbus, Jets to use as a blueprint on how to build a competitive team (Jets make the playoffs next year I'd say). Orrrrrrr, be like Chicago, Edmonton, Leafs in the past and bottom out and get lucky thru the draft on GOOD YEARS and pick 1st/2nd overall a couple of times :P

Edited by Odd.