The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think playing with Yamamoto greatly increased his stock.  He could be a Gallagher type but i'm talking a pure point producer type home run swing. 

Fair enough!

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Heard on the radio this morning that a lot of dmen are taken in round two, who turn out really good. (PK, Weber, Keith, and more too)  Maybe our second round picks should be D?

Which defenseman do you have in mind Alf? 

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Heard on the radio this morning that a lot of dmen are taken in round two, who turn out really good. (PK, Weber, Keith, and more too)  Maybe our second round picks should be D?

95.9898989898% chance our 33rd pick is a dman

**Its science

Edited by R3aL

Just now, suitup said:

Which defenseman do you have in mind Alf? 

Really really want Conor Timmins, but he might not make it to us.

The guy is a beauty - just launches the puck to his forwards 

• Upvote 1

Just now, R3aL said:

Really really want Conor Timmins, but he might not make it to us.

The guy is a beauty - just launches the puck to his forwards 

Don't know much about the kid, but that stat line is real easy on the eyes. Unfortunately I doubt he'd make it to us too based on rankings either. :sadno:

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Just a Norris level guy eh, no problem what our CDC Alf wants he gon get!

Considering these second round picks are like lottery balls for a potential Norris winner, maybe taking D is the way to go there though?

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Not sure if this was posted earlier..

http://www.diebytheblade.com/2017/5/8/15576332/may-mock-draft-the-whole-enchilada

Decently done Mock Draft

Has our top three picks with CBJ 2nd rounder:

5th: Glass

33rd: Hague

53rd: Anderson-Dolan

I would be very okay with this draft!

That would be great but I dont think Hague makes it out of the first round, Anderson-Dolan would be a good pick at 33. I dont think he makes it to 53 tho, but anything can happen on draft day. 

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Its true, but also a crapshoot. The most physically gifted guys still go in the first round. Then its an issue of can they handle it? 10 years ago the Duncan Keith's were still being left to the 2knd round, because, yeah, there is still a % chance they will not make it.

Forwards have to apply more pressure as the game gets faster in the NHL.To an extent the player just has to get faster. But you can scout athleticism and reasonably pick, also knowing today's training techniques, who will probably be able to apply that pressure, gain that speed.

Defenceman are under more pressure. Their speed will also pick up with training. Its harder to pick who will have the mental composure to deal with that duress as play ramps up? Some guys just have it. But its a percentage game. Give or take just under 25% of 2knd rounders play 100 games of NHL. Well over 50% in the first round. Among the guys who have already demonstrated the most. 15 or 20%, or less in the 3rd round. The ones who develop or have that composure will outlast a bigger, faster guy taken in the first round. Can you risk only having a D man to incorporate into your system once every 4 or 5 years? So teams stopped leaving the Doughty or Karlsson, Werenski & Jones type physically gifted guys for later rounds, worrying they might not make it, about 10 years ago. 

Also, do you want to risk having Chris Tanev be your best D man? Who scores almost no goals & has no physical presence.

To mitigate risk & get better talent you have to pick D men consistently when a good one is on the board. In all rounds.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Just a Norris level guy eh, no problem what our CDC Alf wants he gon get!

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Considering these second round picks are like lottery balls for a potential Norris winner, maybe taking D is the way to go there though?

Why leave it up to the lottery to get a potential Norris player, when you can just draft one in Josh Norris? ^_^

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Vice sports article or what?

Was there?

Let me guess... was it Sean McIndoe/DownGoesBrown?

Because he probably takes the title of most irrationally biased anti-Canuck writer out there. 

Prestigious company, I know.

4 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Personally I would believe that the Sabres go for a D-Men. They need D-Men desperately, their D- corps is a mess. Provided they land 2-3 D-Men by trade I could imagine that they pick Tippett.

Most likely the Avalanche decide to pick a D-Men .  They have some skill upfront with Landeskog, McKinnon Duchene therefore not really convinced that they select a forward. Would leave some more C opportunities for us (Vilardi, Mittelstadt,Glass).

At number 8 i believe Tippett would be BPA, and could be a good power winger to play with eichel down the road. For the Av's i think they take heiskanen if available but with the season they had they need the Best player they can get, and i think duchene will be gone in the near future.