The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

This is just initial thoughts based on what I've read and watched, but will have a more detailed breakdown of what I expect the best point producers to be. Not a mock draft, just a general ranking. Bold is who I would be happy with the Nucks Taking at 5, underlined and italics are who I would be happy taking if we trade down a fair ways. The last 16, I would be happy with any at 33 in particular Vaakanainen, or Thomas though!

1. Nico Hischier
  2. Nolan Patrick
  3. Casey Mittelstadt
  4. Cody Glass
  5. Miro Heiskanen
  6. Martin Necas
  7. Gabe Vilardi
  8. Timothy Liljegren
  9. Nick Suzuki
  10. Cale Makar
  11. Elias Pettersson
  12. Owen Tippett
  13. Erik Brännström
  14. Eeli Tolvanen
  15. Kristian Vesalainen
  16. Kailer Yamamoto
  17. Lias Andersson
  18. Klim Kostin
  19. Jusso Valimaki
  20. Urho Vaakanainen
  21. Ryan Poehling
  22. Cal Foote
  23. Nicolas Hague
  24. Robert Thomas
  25. Grant Mismash
  26. Michael Rasmussen
  27. Josh Norris
  28. Shane Bowers
  29. Henri Jokiharju
  30. Jason Robertson
  31. Kole Lind

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kenhodgejr said:

Mittlestadt is a great player but i see him in the NHL as a great LW'er 

Glass looks like a safe pick for a second line center. Maybe first. 

I think having a first line of 

Mittlestadt Horvat Boesser 

Would be a really good line. Heavy enough to compete with the big teams. 

That's a nice top line but do we still have Sutter as our 2nd line C?

We still don't know who the better faceoff ace is.

Does anyone have the stats as to who is better on faceoffs between Mittlestadt and Glass? THAT is the area that should concern us. We all know they have speed and can score but if they suck at Faceoffs and we constantly have to be chasing pucks then what the heck?

If Tippett or a defenceman get taken in the top-4 then we're fine, we'll get a stud center. Best case scenario now?

NJD - Nolan

PHI - Hirschier

DAL - Heiskanen

COL - Vilardi

VAN - Mittelstatd

Glass would be an interesting pick, not sure if he worked with Green at all but he's put up numbers obviously. Really hope they don't go down the same Virtanen path and take the BC boy Rasmussen for his size and home-town, because we've learnt a point per game at the WHL just isn't enough. We need offence and skill right now and we need a solid center, and one should fall to the Canucks, especially with Heiskanen and Tippett's good end to the seasons.

If we're lucky we end up with a stab at Vilardi or Mittelstatd, otherwise we walk away with Glass or Heiskanen.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

If Tippett or a defenceman get taken in the top-4 then we're fine, we'll get a stud center. Best case scenario now?

NJD - Nolan

PHI - Hirschier

DAL - Heiskanen

COL - Vilardi

VAN - Mittelstatd

Glass would be an interesting pick, not sure if he worked with Green at all but he's put up numbers obviously. Really hope they don't go down the same Virtanen path and take the BC boy Rasmussen for his size and home-town, because we've learnt a point per game at the WHL just isn't enough. We need offence and skill right now and we need a solid center, and one should fall to the Canucks, especially with Heiskanen and Tippett's good end to the seasons.

If we're lucky we end up with a stab at Vilardi or Mittelstatd, otherwise we walk away with Glass or Heiskanen.

Glass never worked with Green but I'm sure he knows all about him thru Mike Johnston whom I hope joins Green behind the bench.

Having a 1-2 punch of Horvat-Glass for the next 10 years will be awesome

Glass could be the center Virtanen needs to become the proud 6th overall pick he was chosen for and everyone can shut their mouths and be proud of. 

Virtanen-Glass-Goldobin

Size, speed, skill

Edited by missioncanucksfan
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Awwww don't be a whiner....

My point was Col finished dead last and still ended up picking 4th

Welcome to the league LV....you pick 6th. I'm wondering if Foley is going thru his old black ops roladex after Bettman had probably hinted they would get a higher pick with their first ever selection.

I fail to see how "I don't care" equates to whining.

Edited by Bitter Melon

Buttons mock draft as of 9 hours ago.

NJD Hischier
PHI Patrick
DAL Heiskanen
COL Vilardi
VAN Glass
LVK Rasmussen
ARZ Makar
BUF Mittlestadt
DET Pettersson
FLA Tippett

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/button-s-mock-draft-dynamic-hischier-is-ready-for-the-nhl~1112103 

Button briefly talks about Cody Glass who he feels would be a good fit in Vancouver. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Canuck Drogo said:

I totally agree. Every time we have a college prospect I refrain from allowing myself to get too excited until they're signed. I really hate that 3 year rule. It puts these kids in a tough spot too, because after three years of college/university they are forced to decide to either get their degree by finishing their final year, or take a gamble and sign with the drafted team, hoping that they'll make the squad.  

One of these days we are bound to lose one of these highly touted college kids. 

Yeah its frustrating lol

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Buttons mock draft as of 9 hours ago.

NJD Hischier
PHI Patrick
DAL Heiskanen
COL Vilardi
VAN Glass
LVK Rasmussen
ARZ Makar
BUF Mittlestadt
DET Pettersson
FLA Tippett

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/button-s-mock-draft-dynamic-hischier-is-ready-for-the-nhl~1112103 

Button briefly talks about Cody Glass who he feels would be a good fit in Vancouver. 

And that's fine by me..... 

Button changes his "feelings" every week it seems

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, missioncanucksfan said:

And that's fine by me..... 

Button changes his "feelings" every week it seems

kind of true this year I'd have to agree. I'm more excited about our other picks in the top 3 rounds.   does anyone know the placement of those picks?

trev said we have 5 potentially 6 with cjbs pick.  do we know the location of each? aND how we got them. 

1st round (5)

2nd round (33)

3rd round (64? I think)

etc etc 

I'm obviously bummed about the lotto like most of you. 

Here's my silver lining. Patrick/Hischier would have likely been ready for the show this year.  Maybe not like Mathews good but still contributing in some way making us a better team. Whoever we draft at 5 might play a couple games but will be sent down not effecting our team whatsoever. 

Long story short we won't be getting better next year with glass/Mittlestadt like we would have with patrick/hischier.

This franchise will never be handed anything nice as we can support a losing team. Unlike new Jersey.  It's time for all of us to come to terms with that. All the sweeter it will be when we see the cup hoisted above our jersey.

Gcg

9 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

kind of true this year I'd have to agree. I'm more excited about our other picks in the top 3 rounds.   does anyone know the placement of those picks?

trev said we have 5 potentially 6 with cjbs pick.  do we know the location of each? aND how we got them. 

1st round (5)

2nd round (33)

3rd round (64? I think)

etc etc 

I remember that the Canucks would pick at either #54 or #55 with their 2nd round pick aquired from the Columbus Blue Jackets for Tortorella. It sounds like CBJ has already make a decision that the Canucks  get  this  2nd round pick for the 2017 draft.  At least  that would be my understanding based on the fact that Trevor Linden talked about having 6 picks for the 2017 draft. CBJ have an option to grant it to the Canucks either in 2017 or 2018.

4 hours ago, Derp... said:

This is just initial thoughts based on what I've read and watched, but will have a more detailed breakdown of what I expect the best point producers to be. Not a mock draft, just a general ranking. Bold is who I would be happy with the Nucks Taking at 5, underlined and italics are who I would be happy taking if we trade down a fair ways. The last 16, I would be happy with any at 33 in particular Vaakanainen, or Thomas though!

1. Nico Hischier
  2. Nolan Patrick
  3. Casey Mittelstadt
  4. Cody Glass
  5. Miro Heiskanen
  6. Martin Necas
  7. Gabe Vilardi
  8. Timothy Liljegren
  9. Nick Suzuki
  10. Cale Makar
  11. Elias Pettersson
  12. Owen Tippett
  13. Erik Brännström
  14. Eeli Tolvanen
  15. Kristian Vesalainen
  16. Kailer Yamamoto
  17. Lias Andersson
  18. Klim Kostin
  19. Jusso Valimaki
  20. Urho Vaakanainen
  21. Ryan Poehling
  22. Cal Foote
  23. Nicolas Hague
  24. Robert Thomas
  25. Grant Mismash
  26. Michael Rasmussen
  27. Josh Norris
  28. Shane Bowers
  29. Henri Jokiharju
  30. Jason Robertson
  31. Kole Lind

Would be very happy if Urho Vaakanainen is available at #33. Depends on the needs other teams selecting ahead of VAN at the late 1st round and on top of the 2nd round have when it comes to D. Maybe Urho Vaakanainen falls some more spots down in the rankings. Imagine Craig Button did not list him in the 1st round in his lastest ranking dated March 21. I can't believe that ... He is obviously wrong. ...... Even such guys like Button can be wrong..

10 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I'm obviously bummed about the lotto like most of you. 

Here's my silver lining. Patrick/Hischier would have likely been ready for the show this year.  Maybe not like Mathews good but still contributing in some way making us a better team. Whoever we draft at 5 might play a couple games but will be sent down not effecting our team whatsoever. 

Long story short we won't be getting better next year with glass/Mittlestadt like we would have with patrick/hischier.

This franchise will never be handed anything nice as we can support a losing team. Unlike new Jersey.  It's time for all of us to come to terms with that. All the sweeter it will be when we see the cup hoisted above our jersey.

Gcg

yeah we all feel a little bummed. maybe it's for the best.  id hate to see a player end his career young but if Philly takes Patrick and he continues to work through injuries we might be better off away from him.

Hischier would of course been nice but things happen for a reason.  the two major consolation prizes imo are we have a ton of picks at the of this draft. and in all honesty failing to get a top prospect this year only gives us more time to add depth before we take off.

I'd hate to see us draft a stud forward then be stuck middling because we lack the depth you need. long term these top 5 or top 10 picks are only going to help us. and who knows Jim is a master scout.  Maybe will get lucky and get the best of a draft one day at this spot.

keeping my head high. 

8 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Callan Foote with the 2nd rounder?

Currently 6'4 and 212lb RH defenseman.  57 points in 71 games.  He has the pedigree being the son of former NHLer Adam Foote, and a product of the Kelowna Rockets program which has been churning out top NHL defenseman in the last couple of decades. 

would be awesome, taken into consideration that Foote is a RHS. Foote being availabe at the top of the 2nd round would be a marvel because so many teams have needs in terms of RHS D-Men. Instantly the Maple Leafs come to my mind who would probably go for either Foote or Hague given their spot in the 1st round. I think the Canucks would have need to trade a player in order to get a 1st round pick in the mid 1st to get either Foote or Hague.

5 hours ago, TheHitman said:

Do we still have an outside chance at Vilardi if Dallas decides to pick Glass and Colorado picks Makar or Hieskanen? Colorado really needs young defensemen badly and Glass provides a lot of what Dallas is looking for. 

Craig Button is raised some concerns in terms of Vilardis speed. Given the fact that the NHL is a speed game I would select Vilardi with the 5th overall. He is a playmaking center, he is able to finish and his size and toughness  would be definitely helpful for the Canucks. Due  to  the fact that  Glass  & Mittelstadt posses far more speed both players they definitely have an edge over Vilardi. I do even  see a good chance that Vilardi would be still available at #5, because I expect Dallas and also Colorado to pick D (Heiskanen, Makar, probably not Liljegren).

• Upvote 1

Devastated. But can still come up with a good player and even if all the villardi or middestat  are gone, it will be between  Heiskanen and glass. 

As much as I'm a big Tanev fan, this would be the year to possibly get a mid first for him as the group from around 5-15 is pretty much the same. His value may fall in the future if his play declines, injury, and stronger drafts.

If we we end up with Heiskanen, then we pick a forward with the mid first (for example Peterson or whoever falls), if we pick a glass, then we take a defenseman like foote or Hague 

we come out of this draft with 2 prospects that will hopefully be apart of the core for a long time

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Hopefully we end up with one of Heiskanen, Liljegren, Vilardi or Necas. 

Jim stated that the Canucks are looking for a playmaking centre iceman and a true pp qb #1 defencemen - in that order. I conclude that picking a centre is the top-priority. Necas is a very good skater with speed and a very  good  work ethic,  but  not a playmaking  centre  from what I have read in some scouting reports. Vilardi is considered lacking speed, at least in Craig Button's opinion. I think Heiskanen is not on Jim's list. Ben Kuzma and Grady Sas mentioned that the Canucks would probably having Makar in their top-5. Botchford suggested in his story in "The Province" that Liljegren could be in the Top-5 List from Jim. As mentioned I don't see the Canucks picking a D-Man at #5. They go for a Center, either Mittelstadt or Glass, hopefully.

I'm anything but an optimistic fan so I assumed we'd be drafting 5th and I'm absolutely fine with it, we'll get a prospect everyone should be happy with even if it's not the guy you covet. Mittlestadt or Glass definitely top my list but Heiskanen, Makar, Necas or Petterson are all guys to be excited about.