The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

I wonder if Vegas would consider planning a trade with Philly around the 2nd Overall pick if NDJ decides to bail on Patrick.  Vegas being able to move up a few spots from 6th to 2nd to grab Patrick would be a huge story for Vegas' fanbase.  Patrick as many of you know is a player of one of the executives with the Vegas Golden Knights.  It would be a very intruiging storyline if they were to speak intensely with either Philly or Jersey to acquire Patrick.  The best way of achieving this goal would be to talk to said team about players they like that will be avaliable in the expansion draft.   (Unsure if there is a rule on doing such a trade) but I wonder if they could draft a player in the expansion draft that fits the wants and needs of a philly or new jersey who would take that as part of a package to move up from 6th to 2nd or 1st.  

Anyone have any ideas if this is at all possible and if so who do you think a philly might target if this were an option presented to them?

April 15th 2017:  If the Canucks hold pick 1 or 2, why trade down, only get a 2nd or B prospect out of it.

April 30th 2017:  I wonder if the canucks offered Tanev, Virtanen AND our pick if we could move up to draft Hischier

:lol:

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

We had a Medicine Hat thing going with this team maybe now a Portland Winterhawk thing?

Fine with me, Cody Glass is a very highly skilled player who as a centre would compliment the Canucks very well I think. Him and Mittelstadt are very skilled guys that could put up a lot of points in the NHL.

As a winterhawk alumni, I would be perfectly fine with that!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

It's going to be either Middlestadt or Glass and I am happy either way.  No to Liljegren or any dmen, that pick is way too early.  I wouldn't be so upset if Tanev was traded to bring in another high 1st rounder, yes please Benning.

I agree, but if the Nucks feel Liljegren is going to be great then I say go for it

• Upvote 2

Won't happen, but if LV takes Gaunce, I'd be down for trading Tanev for a mid 1st and picking Vesalainen.......especially if the went with Liljegren at #5.

Or flip it and take Glass at #5 and Foote with the extra pick

Let's not diminish our #5 pick. Glass is our elite center

Trading out of top 5 is somewhat of a huge risk to begin with unless it's in such a deep draft which this year is not.

If trading Tanev gets us another mid-1st or whatever then we treat that as a separate entity but don't mess with our #5 unless that #5 gets us a Drouin or a kick-arse asset

10 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

That line would destroy, especially when you factor in the shiftiness and playmaking ability of Mittlestadt along with his speed. He would compliment Horvat and Boesser well while at the same time being able to move down and center another line. 

I agree or also help out Bo at times when he gets waved out of the face-off or injured.

• Upvote 1

If we draft Mittlestadt at 5 and trade Tanev for the 13th pick we might be able to land Rasmussen at 13. There is a lot of more skilled players that will go before him. 

Mittlestadt Horvat Boesser

Goldobin Rasmussen Granllund 

Virtanen Gaudette Dahlen 

McEwan Mckenzie Lockwood

28 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Let's not diminish our #5 pick. Glass is our elite center

Trading out of top 5 is somewhat of a huge risk to begin with unless it's in such a deep draft which this year is not.

If trading Tanev gets us another mid-1st or whatever then we treat that as a separate entity but don't mess with our #5 unless that #5 gets us a Drouin or a kick-arse asset

Agreed completely.  I like the idea of Glass at #5 and move Tanev for the chance at Foote

• Upvote 2

Out of Mittelstadt, Glass and Vilardi.... I feel Mittelstadt has the most skill and is a playmaker.  Based on Benning's comments I feel Mittelstadt will be a Canuck come June 23rd.  I would be very happy with Glass and Vilardi as well.  I'm looking forward to watching Vilardi in the Memorial cup.  Glass is intriguing because he is one of the biggest risers in the rankings.  He could grow another 3 inches and by all accounts has Horvat work ethic.  Vilardi is also dedicated to his craft and he will improve his skating which is the easiest skill to improve.  We can't go wrong at 5th pick if we get one of these 3 centres.  I think they all have 1st line potential. 

• Upvote 4

My Mock Draft

1) NJ   Patrick Nolan     Big stud centre to play with Taylor Hall

2) Philly   Nico Hischier    Some amazing skill to compliment their high end defensive prospects

3) Dallas   Miro Heiskanen    What does Dallas need?  A minute munching solid defenseman

4) Colorado    Timothy Liljigren   What does Colorado need?  A minute munching solid defenseman

5) Vancouver    Casey Mittelstadt     We need some skill in our lineup.  Casey is the most skilled player after Hischier in this draft

6) Las Vegas    Gabe Vilardi        Solid centreman to start a franchise with

7) Phoenix      Cale Makar         A dynamic offensive D man to compliment their offensive forwards

8) Buffalo    Cody Glass        Don't need another centreman but too good to pass up

9) Detroit   Owen Tippett      Maybe the best goal scorer in this draft that will have success in the Detroit development system

10) Florida   Martin Necas      Speed to burn.... great fit in Florida with Jagr

If Glass is still there at #5 I'd take him in a heartbeat! 

There's a chance he will be as well.

Whatever the outcome we are getting a very good player to add to the prospect pool. 

• Upvote 1

ok... lollll l 

after watching Cale Makar's highlight pack I am salivating lol.  the competition is a little lower but he would be an amazing d partner for Juolevi in 2 or 3 years after some seasoning.   the kids offensive instincts are nuts.   he'd be great in Utica if we got the right kind of coach.  

does anyone know cales situation for next season? is he college or ushl bound? or can he sign and join utica asap?  it might be a jump but if he can work on his side to side speed he could probably make utica.

kids narly.

• Upvote 2

Glass/Mittelstadt or Liljegren/Makar

We need Centers and PPQB defenders so its another no-lose situation.  Centers aren't huge huge but both are decent sized kids and both the defenceman are slick.  

Moving a Tanev or Edler would be great as well.... but I'd almost rather a prospect than a pick in that case.