The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree 100%.  It's the idea of 33 and 55 for 3 that is the issue.  I don't know the actual results, but it seems like a guy taken at 3 is more likely to be a difference maker than two guys taken at 33 and 55.  Wouldn't the odds be in our favor? 

No because you're taking our best trading assets, adding to it and banking on one player that isn't even really ranked higher than the players in the 7-14 range.  There is not enough separation in this years draft

Is Makar better than Lilejgren + Merkley + Yamamoto + Walsh
Is Makar better than Suzuki + Nielson + Bracco + Timmins + chmelevski
what about Glass, is he better than Pettersson + Raddysh + Timmins + chmelevski

The answer is no. You can't even guarantee it's a lock that the player we give up for is going to be better than the bolded player....

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Those ISS rankings show no love to Pettersson though wow..

Anyone think the NHL combine needs to change? It is pretty lame..

If I was running the show I would add a day before the strength/conditioning testing and I would do an on ice combine day. Not exactly like a skills contest but one that shows top tens for:

• Hardest Shot
  • Shot Accuracy
  • Speed
  • Stick Handling
  • Passing
  • etc.

These would actually provide so much more information to fans, teams and scouts.

NFL draft combine one of the most important metrics is the 40 yard dash.. 

The only thing the combine shows is what kids are naturally stronger, have been exposed to strength training earlier and their heart to push themselves. All great things but not nearly what it should and could be.

They could do On ice testing 1 day, Off Ice testing day 2, then interviews after or anything. Just think On-Ice testing should be included. If anyone can link to an article of why there isn't already or if there is a reason for it not happening that I am not aware of please quote me and share link.

They have had him #20 or higher in the last several months, while most other rankings have him 6-12.  Perhaps it's due to Peterson's weight. 

I like your suggestions for combine testing.  Makes more sense than the established tests.  It's not like these kids are stepping into NHL games next season.  Strength and conditioning are the easiest to improve compared to skills and IQ needed to become a pro player.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

They have had him #20 or higher in the last several months, while most other rankings have him 6-12.  Perhaps it's due to Peterson's weight. 

I like your suggestions for combine testing.  Makes more sense than the established tests.  It's not like these kids are stepping into NHL games next season.  Strength and conditioning are the easiest to improve compared to skills and IQ needed to become a pro player.

Yea exactly I would love to know why they aren't actually testing the players skills. 

They could do an on ice agility test, speed test, passing test, hardest shot, stick handling drill timed and penalty's for losing puck or hitting obstacles, and an accuracy test.

Is it more work for the NHL yes, but it would create so much value for everyone. The way they are doing the combine now is silly. Like oh - he cant do a pullup or a bench press yet... I would love to know 1 NHL player that cant bench 135lbs or knock of 10+ pullups easily. I would feel very confident that even all the back up goalies in the league could. It is borderline useless asides from showing instantly how far a player is away form being strong enough to handle the NHL. It really doesn't effect draft rankings at all. If it did Jack Eichel would have been selected over McDavid - he was a combine allstar a kid in a mans body. But all the scouts already knew that.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

If Dallas, as rumored, is asking for Tanev + 33 + 55 for 3rd overall, maybe we should do that?  Then we get Vilardi and Makar.  That's a pretty darned good draft, filling two huge needs in our prospect pool.  Picks 33 and 55 have way less % chance of becoming anything even close to those two.  DO IT JB!!!!!!

If Benning can pull that off, then could you imagine these 2 plus the prospects and young players we have, potentially coming into their own around the same time!!  On top of next years draft prospects!!

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

33 could easily be Timmins, Yamamoto, Brower

55 can be Chmelevski, Walsh, Ferraro

So much for all the "Benning always trading away picks" and "Benning bleeding assets" and "Benning throwing in extra picks in trades for no reason" complaining...

• Upvote 2

Forget DAL, we need to make a deal with PHI for the #2, if anything. Canucks will still get a good player at #5 (Vilardi, Mittelstadt, Glass, Heiskanen, Makar), but why give Tanev away unless we're getting a Patrick or Hischier in return?

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Forget DAL, we need to make a deal with PHI for the #2, if anything. Canucks will still get a good player at #5 (Vilardi, Mittelstadt, Glass, Heiskanen, Makar), but why give Tanev away unless we're getting a Patrick or Hischier in return?

Trading for 2 in this draft is basically trading for 1. So for a kings ransom.

And they have already said cant see themselves trading the pick.

We would have to trade:

Tanev + 5th Overall and maybe + CLB 2nd Rounder

5 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Trading for 2 in this draft is basically trading for 1. So for a kings ransom.

And they have already said cant see themselves trading the pick.

We would have to trade:

Tanev + 5th Overall and maybe + CLB 2nd Rounder

Yeah, it would be very costly for a #1-2, but I'd do that deal to get one of those guys. As exciting as it would be, I don't see it happening though.

52 minutes ago, R3aL said:

If I was running the show I would add a day before the strength/conditioning testing and I would do an on ice combine day. Not exactly like a skills contest but one that shows top tens for:

• Hardest Shot
  • Shot Accuracy
  • Speed
  • Stick Handling
  • Passing
  • etc.

These would actually provide so much more information to fans, teams and scouts.

The only thing the combine shows is what kids are naturally stronger, have been exposed to strength training earlier and their heart to push themselves. All great things but not nearly what it should and could be.

They could do On ice testing 1 day, Off Ice testing day 2, then interviews after or anything. Just think On-Ice testing should be included. If anyone can link to an article of why there isn't already or if there is a reason for it not happening that I am not aware of please quote me and share link.

That's actually an awesome idea. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, R3aL said:

• Hardest Shot
  • Shot Accuracy
  • Speed
  • Stick Handling
  • Passing
  • etc.

Don't forget making them play NHL 17 against each other playing their real-life positions. ^_^

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It would really put an end to the speculative claims,

the best skater/shooter/hands in the draft.

They do have on ice testing at the prospects game in January but it's only for the 40 invitees and it's focused on skating with and without the puck.  

1 minute ago, mll said:

They do have on ice testing at the prospects game in January but it's only for the 40 invitees and it's focused on skating with and without the puck.  

It is also only for CHL players right? And it is midseason. I just think they should have an official combine that actually measures the skills that matter.

22 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Canucks are plugging Rasmussen today:

Rasmussen rhymes with Virtanen (and Vaananen) and rumours are there's a Toronto offer for Tanev in exchange for Kapanen, etc. We can have a rhyming team:

• Virtanen-Kapanen-Rasmussen
  • Sedin-Sedin
  • Boeser-Sutter-Miller-Stecher-Edler
  • Boucher-Grenier
  • Ericksson-Gudranson-Hutton
  • Goldobin-Tryamkin (if only)
  • Biega-Sbisa-Cramarossa-Megna

It's a nice day outside and I'm stuck in the office...

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Don't forget making them play NHL 17 against each other playing their real-life positions. ^_^

Wow that would be the ultimate test. Would show players Hockey IQ no?? Haha