The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

14 hours ago, BananaMash said:

Disappointed would be too nice a word if they went with Rasmussen at 5. :lol: Nothing would scream "we didn't learn a thing from Virtanen" louder.

If they acquired a second pick in the top 10. I honestly wouldn't mind picking him, but I certainly wouldn't want him at 5.

3 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Yea man I believe some players don't have to "earn it". Give him top minutes in the show and if that doesn't work top minutes in Utica.

4th line time doesn't work. This is especially true when you can play with the Sedins or Bo.

I'm not saying you're one of these guys but when I see posts about players who don't have to earn it I think that maybe that person doesn't understand what earning it is.

We were getting this in the debate a few months ago of Goldobin v Boeser.  Goldy had his ice time cut after he scored his first break away goal while Boeser inexplicably had his ice time increased.  Of course Willie was mad; quite insane.

Seriously, how long do people think it takes an NHL coach to see that a player plays with an awareness of what is going on around him?  Earning it means that a player can show that they know how to play at this level.  They can be seen to be looking at the right things and moving to the right places both offensively and defensively.  Players who are ready for the show have the intelligence to anticipate play.  They also know how to put out the effort needed and to do it all consistently.  Even I could see this in Boeser's play.  It takes a professional NHL coach one shift, maybe two to see it.  And then when they keep doing the right things, the coach knows that he can trust the player and ice time goes up.

All players have to earn their ice.  It's not just talk.  Some players know before they make it to the show and others never learn.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I'm not saying you're one of these guys but when I see posts about players who don't have to earn it I think that maybe that person doesn't understand what earning it is.

We were getting this in the debate a few months ago of Goldobin v Boeser.  Goldy had his ice time cut after he scored his first break away goal while Boeser inexplicably had his ice time increased.  Of course Willie was mad; quite insane.

Seriously, how long do people think it takes an NHL coach to see that a player plays with an awareness of what is going on around him?  Earning it means that a player can show that they know how to play at this level.  They can be seen to be looking at the right things and moving to the right places both offensively and defensively.  Players who are ready for the show have the intelligence to anticipate play.  They also know how to put out the effort needed and to do it all consistently.  Even I could see this in Boeser's play.  It takes a professional NHL coach one shift, maybe two to see it.  And then when they keep doing the right things, the coach knows that he can trust the player and ice time goes up.

All players have to earn their ice.  It's not just talk.  Some players know before they make it to the show and others never learn.

Lots of good points. I still don't think some players have to earn it. I'm not saying you can come to camp overweight but you should be given the chance to succeed.

I don't think playing Jake 8 minutes a night with 4th line players is giving him a chance to succeed.

12 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Lots of good points. I still don't think some players have to earn it. I'm not saying you can come to camp overweight but you should be given the chance to succeed.

I don't think playing Jake 8 minutes a night with 4th line players is giving him a chance to succeed.

Agreed, while don't want players to feel entitled, stunting their growth is the worst thing you can do and burying a young guy in the lineup can definitely do that. If he's not in the top 9 then send him to the AHL. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Do some of you wake up thinking "how is another way I can discuss Jake Virtanen in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do about Jake Virtanen?   Does every post you see make you say "hey, I can somehow tie this back to my ability to show I knew more in 2014 than all the scouting agencies and Vancouver management combined?".   

Unless Jake Virtanen shot your dog or slept with your GF, what is this preoccupation?    I used to be on the fence on the kid but now seeing all the angst and whining, I hope beyond reason that he blossoms to the degree that surpasses everyone in that draft class picked from 3 onward and allows many of the hateful and non-topic posts to be resurrected into Sticky Post called "How Writing Off Young Players Can Make You Look Stupid" and it surpasses the "Burrows, We Don't Need Him" thread in awesomeness.

This little break is brought to you by "have a little patience people".   Resume your bashing of Jake in this and every other thread you can think of....it will only make the Sticky Thread that much more awesome.    ::D

So sensitive, no one wants him to fail, that's why people are upset. Everyone would be stoked if he turned out to be the best played drafted after the third pick. Let's bring it back to this coming draft though

Just now, ashlynnbrookefan said:

So sensitive, no one wants him to fail, that's why people are upset. Everyone would be stoked if he turned out to be the best played drafted after the third pick. Let's bring it back to this coming draft though

You don't seem to get it.   No one is "sensitive", it just gets so freakin' old to see it in almost EVERY thread.   Why not keep all the bashing, hope, pumping, dissing etc. to his thread?   Why keep at it everywhere else too?   What does he have to do with 2017 Draft?   ZERO!!!!    

This has nothing to do with "sensitive", it has everything to do with "for *&**# sake people, get over it".    Just ask yourself, why does it have to keep being brought up in non-relevant threads?   What is the fixation?

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

You don't seem to get it.   No one is "sensitive", it just gets so freakin' old to see it in almost EVERY thread.   Why not keep all the bashing, hope, pumping, dissing etc. to his thread?   Why keep at it everywhere else too?   What does he have to do with 2017 Draft?   ZERO!!!!    

This has nothing to do with "sensitive", it has everything to do with "for *&**# sake people, get over it".    Just ask yourself, why does it have to keep being brought up in non-relevant threads?   What is the fixation?

He's a polarizing player and he's bound to come up. It just is what it is, making a comment and then continuing it is only going to keep that conversation going. Who do you want with the 5th, 33rd and 55th picks in your dream world? Answering this might stead the thread back in the right direction 

2 minutes ago, ashlynnbrookefan said:

He's a polarizing player and he's bound to come up. It just is what it is, making a comment and then continuing it is only going to keep that conversation going. Who do you want with the 5th, 33rd and 55th picks in your dream world? Answering this might stead the thread back in the right direction 

Glass at No 5 100 times out of 100.    He is exactly what the Canucks need.   At 33 and 55, BPA approach with a slight bias towards speed and ability to score irrespective of size and position (e.g. D, winger....don't care).   The entire organization needs more offense-driven players who play up-tempo so that culture is contagious.

Glass is someone I have had luxury of seeing play live and he is going to be a beast in both ends of the rink but people will find he develops into a Ryan J type player who is a perfect blend of speed, size and offensive IQ.    

Does that work for you?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Glass at No 5 100 times out of 100.    He is exactly what the Canucks need.   At 33 and 55, BPA approach with a slight bias towards speed and ability to score irrespective of size and position (e.g. D, winger....don't care).   The entire organization needs more offense-driven players who play up-tempo so that culture is contagious.

Glass is someone I have had luxury of seeing play live and he is going to be a beast in both ends of the rink but people will find he develops into a Ryan J type player who is a perfect blend of speed, size and offensive IQ.    

Does that work for you?

Yeah that passes. Also the guy I want at 5 but I would be happy  with Mittlestadt or Necas in that spot too

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

Agree with you on that too!  I don't want JV.

I think Glass, Mittlestadt and Necas have really high ceilings with Glass having the highest floor of the 3. I'd take them over Gabe  Villardi because I don't see him as being all that dynamic, I've seen him play a lot and he really stood out at the mem cup but he isn't my guy

3 minutes ago, ashlynnbrookefan said:

Yeah that passes. Also the guy I want at 5 but I would be happy  with Mittlestadt or Necas in that spot too

Middlestadt's lack of physical development concerns me.  Not because I don't believe he will become a very good player, but because it might take him the full four years in college to fully develop.  Then he would be crazy not to take the UFA route, like Vessey.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Middlestadt's lack of physical development concerns me.  Not because I don't believe he will become a very good player, but because it might take him the full four years in college to fully develop.  Then he would be crazy not to take the UFA route, like Vessey.  

Don't let it worry you, how is Bennett turning out after his combine .

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't think he'll be in college longer than 2 years. I'm not concerned with the whole bench press and pull up thing as i don't see the correlation between them and being a good hockey player. That's just my take though, I don't claim to be a messiah and respect your opinion. Regardless of who we get I hope he turns out to be legit