The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

23 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think OJ is better than Hieksanen but i was agreeing that it's a similar circumstance to last year.

Last year I was willing to take the high risk, high ceiling D at the 5 spot in sergachev.  But those players high top pairing ceilings with top four floors,  This year I really don't want a D at 5.  To much of a gap better than floor and ceilings.  They could be a top pairing D, or they could be a depth, fringe NHLer.

We have the ability to guarantee ourselves to walk out of this draft with one of the 3 main centers (glass,Casey,Gabe),  now is not the time to roll the dice. 

Exactly. This is not the year for high risk, high reward. Take the (pretty) sure bet #1/2 C at #5 and look at D in later rounds and next year.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if there's an outside chance that Patrick may fall to the Canucks at 5th, there's concerns about his injuries and the teams in front may go off the board or draft for need.

1NJ Hischier (Would look pretty good playing with Hall)

2PHI Mittelstadt (American and would be good for marketing, also will be given time to properly develop behind Giroux)

3DAL Makar (need d badly)

4COL Heiskenan / Glass if they trade Duchene, but may take Patrick is he falls

3 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

I wonder if there's an outside chance that Patrick may fall to the Canucks at 5th, there's concerns about his injuries and the teams in front may go off the board or draft for need.

2PHI Mittelstadt (American and would be good for marketing, also will be given time to properly develop behind Giroux)

No way he falls to #5. He's probably the best player in this draft.

5 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Not a chance.

If he isn't taken top 2, Dallas immediately gets 10-15 phone calls asking about the 3rd pick. No way he even makes it past 3.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Not a chance.

If he isn't taken top 2, Dallas immediately gets 10-15 phone calls asking about the 3rd pick. No way he even makes it past 3.

Including from JB !

"Hello Dallas, about that Tanev and 2nd rounder for 3OA" ...

6 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Not a chance.

DAL would also likely seriously consider just taking him. He could play in their middle 6 easily next year. The only reason they're looking to move the pick is because the guys slated to go 3 and beyond are at least a year out.

Edited by J.R.

45 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Heiskanen will likely be a solid, 2nd pairing D and will probably be NHL ready sooner. He has a high floor and is low risk. That's why re's rated high. 

IMO, he's the 3rd (maybe even 4th) best D in the draft if you don't mind waiting 3-4 years instead of 1-2. I'd take Liljegrin or Makar before him. I'd call it close on him and Valimaki for 3rd/4th.

His ceiling is basically Juolevi's floor IMO.

Heiskanen will be a top pairing dman. Potential to be a #1. He looks better Juolevi did last year. Higher ceiling. 

15 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Lil Miss Negativity

Completely ignore the fact I watched Keith play in both BCJHL and WHL also ignore the fact I watched Fabbro play as well and saw better skating/speed and IQ than either of them, forget Keiths former team mates also said Makar was a better player at the same age (seriously going to whinge about a 10 month difference?  come on)

Fun at parties you must be

The fact that you watched him play means nothing because you are nobody...  Fabbro went 16th overall not top 3.  good comparison.....  What ever will you do when Makar doesn't develop into the next Karlsson/Keith.....

Again at least i'm going to parties...

23 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Nope, 5th goes to NYR.

We'd have 7, 21, 33, 55, 64 etc

Dream scenario right here. We'd have a good chance of picking up Necas who I believe has the potential to be one of the best players in the draft behind Hischier, Patrick, Vilardi, Makar

What do people think of the chance Benning moves back in the draft? He spoke about it on TSN radio the other day, and there was another thing about him mentioning it in Chicago either this morning or yesterday. How far back would people be willing to go? What does he charge to move back?

22 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The fact that you watched him play means nothing because you are nobody...  Fabbro went 16th overall not top 3.  good comparison.....  What ever will you do when Makar doesn't develop into the next Karlsson/Keith.....

Again at least i'm going to parties...

Ouch, no need to point out how much of a loser I am.  My wife does that all the time

You're completely ignoring the comparison and the reason behind it.  It has nothing to do with draft position.  It has to do with the fact I watched Fabbro play, I saw Keith develop, I watched Weber and even Edler, Seabrook etc

Fabbro was a solid pick from a "junior league" and he is doing just fine.

As for development, I feel he has as much of a chance as anyone in this draft of either becoming a star, becoming a player or simply just...being a draft pick

Edited by Warhippy

MIN doesn't have a 1st or 2nd round pick this year.

to MIN: #5 (so they can draft their homeboy Mittelstadt)

to VAN: Eriksson-Ek, a 3rd (#85) and 4th (#116) 

The Canucks would have two 2nds, two 3rds and three 4ths, plus their C.

I know, not very exciting, especially on draft day, but it gives the Canucks a big centre who's only 20, plus extra picks. The Canucks could then use the #33 to draft a D, or package some picks to get back in the 1st round.  

Edited by NUCKER67

9 minutes ago, wren223 said:

What do people think of the chance Benning moves back in the draft? He spoke about it on TSN radio the other day, and there was another thing about him mentioning it in Chicago either this morning or yesterday. How far back would people be willing to go? What does he charge to move back?

Unless we get a top-6 C back in a trade, I don't think we can drop past 8th and risk getting the 7th best C of the draft (I think it'll be all centres and Makar & Heisk in the top 8) 

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Ouch, no need to point out how much of a loser I am.  My wife does that all the time

You're completely ignoring the comparison and the reason behind it.  It has nothing to do with draft position.  It has to do with the fact I watched Fabbro play, I saw Keith develop, I watched Weber and even Edler, Seabrook etc

Fabbro was a solid pick from a "junior league" and he is doing just fine.

As for development, I feel he has as much of a chance as anyone in this draft of either becoming a star, becoming a player or simply just...being a draft pick

online beer cheers after the draft tonight?

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

online beer cheers after the draft tonight?

Possibly, I am debating skipping the first and watching tomorrow instead.  I am kind of over the 1st after how much we've gone back and forth over the same guys.

The 2nd through 7th is where it will get interesting.  Whiskey sours maybe?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Warhippy said:

Possibly, I am debating skipping the first and watching tomorrow instead.  I am kind of over the 1st after how much we've gone back and forth over the same guys.

The 2nd through 7th is where it will get interesting.  Whiskey sours maybe?

This first round could be very interesting, considering the flatness -- could be a whole lot of surprise picks.  Also looking forward to who falls, giving us a great shot at a first round-ranked player with our 33rd.